SG-38 Schulgleiter Special Hobby 1/48 Glider-History

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate your words! Never thought that this small glider geht's so much attention!

It gets so much attention because its exquisitely built/ finished and photographed, the way you have captured the fabric look is brilliant.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic build of this not too often seen kit !

( run out of likes today, sorry :banghead: )

The "Uschi Rig that Thig" stuff looks good, i have the super fine one new for me and its waiting ro get used...

• Like 1

Hello,Andy - I don't know how your superb glider and setting build has been off my radar until now but my full compliments and admiration as usual for your inspirational work.:) Happy Landings and Bottle of Beer to boot!! All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A British copy still flies at Old Warden. In the old days people taught themselves to fly by first learning to hold the wings level when parked facing into wind. They then were given 'ground slides' - being pulled along at increasing speeds until they could just get airborne and then went on to catapult (bungee) launches. The irony is that nowadays you have to be a test pilot before you are allowed in it!

Primary503.jpg

John ( who has a picture somewhere from when it had the swastika on the rudder)

PS. Nearly forgot - a very fine model.

• Like 1

A British copy still flies at Old Warden. In the old days people taught themselves to fly by first learning to hold the wings level when parked facing into wind. They then were given 'ground slides' - being pulled along at increasing speeds until they could just get airborne and then went on to catapult (bungee) launches. The irony is that nowadays you have to be a test pilot before you are allowed in it!

Primary503.jpg

John ( who has a picture somewhere from when it had the swastika on the rudder)

PS. Nearly forgot - a very fine model.

That`s what I found

114069128.iBrjVRix.SG38Glider_zps5up0qwa

My gliding club still has a similar glider (Karpf "Zögling") in operation. We usually winch it down from the hangar ceiling once a year or so and launch it on the winch. You don't want to be driven downwind too far on such a contraption!

And, yes, only the most proficient pilots are allowed on it. But then, hurling those things down a slope with a rubber bungee never brought them up to any real heights. that's different when you want ot show them to the public and therefore launch them to heights from where gliding times are counted in minutes rather than one-figure seconds.

• Like 1

These were taken when it first appeared in 2009. It must be most uncomfortable sitting there in a 50kt (?) breeze. The family in front of me were totally amazed to see it fly. Seeing it parked before the display they thought it was a museum piece

eon%20primary%20take%20off_zpsnn7ttkxs.j

eon%20primary%20landing_zpsq6j6rwnr.jpg

John

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Andy, thanks for pointing me to this.  Great work on the fabric.  I have had less than great luck with AK paints but I am going to find their set for this and look at their directions as this looks perfect.