Tamiya 1:48 Bf109 E3 - Another from my newbie learning path :)

Dema

Hi All,

After some time not posting, this is my 3rd build here and the first one i finished after my previous Spit from September last year. (i messed up with a 1:48 Red Arrow in between :analintruder: )

Colors are a mix of Tamiya and Vallejo air. I have to say i love Tamiya paints over Vallejo. Have been using Vallejo since i started with the hobby and made a change for this build and just love it.

It was the build i made that i liked most. It was also another lesson on things that you should not do and all that, for example i got the RLM65 very wrong :weep:, the antenna wires are not looking great (also it was my first time doing that), silvering in the red lines and i really need to get better at weathering but all things considered im pleased with the result and had fun building it!

So, out of the box, this is my first Bf109:

P1080611_zps8f61y5kl.jpg

P1080609_zps9lmvlnrb.jpg

P1080606_zpsdfrgclvo.jpg

IMG_1796_zps5abpb5jo.jpg

One from when i finished paint job:

IMG_1748_zpsdkdwkwll.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Dema,

It looks very good, the paint finish is superb and I like the scheme a lot! The weathering is very nice as well.

Regarding the antenna wires, what did you use to make them? You could possibly improve it using elastic thread.

Keep posting your builds!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

In my eyes it looks nearly perfect! Except the antenna. I tried the elastic rigging stuff from Uschi van der Rosten. It works really nice and is very thin. So may be you want to change the antenna and it will look more than Perfect!

• Like 1

Very neat build and finish!

Others have remarked on the antenna; thin elastic would be easier to get straight and also more to scale.

You said you had problems with RLM 65. I can't see anything wrong with it but OTOH, what should be RLM 70 Schwarzgrün, the darker of the camouflage colours, does look a bit unusual – more like yellowish ochre brown than the dark green specified. But then, the lighting in the photos may be playing tricks…

All in all, a most respectable build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Jaime, appreciate the kind comment. I have been thinking about the elastic thread. I used 0.2mm black copper wire from modelingtools.co.uk. It is a bit too hard for my untrained hands. :)

Cheers

• Like 1

In my eyes it looks nearly perfect! Except the antenna. I tried the elastic rigging stuff from Uschi van der Rosten. It works really nice and is very thin. So may be you want to change the antenna and it will look more than Perfect!

Thanks a lot Andy! you are very kind.

Just had a look Uschi van der Rosten UvdR-3 "Rig that thing" Elastic Rigging :) and it looks promising. For 1:48 do you think standard is enough? or better fine?

Cheers for the comments!

Very neat build and finish!

Others have remarked on the antenna; thin elastic would be easier to get straight and also more to scale.

You said you had problems with RLM 65. I can't see anything wrong with it but OTOH, what should be RLM 70 Schwarzgrün, the darker of the camouflage colours, does look a bit unusual – more like yellowish ochre brown than the dark green specified. But then, the lighting in the photos may be playing tricks…

All in all, a most respectable build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, it is a bit to the brown side indeed but maybe not as much as my photos show. Funny that to my eyes the light blue is that seems a bit too strong. That is a mix of vallejo pale blue and white.

Really appreciate the comments. its great to build a model and then be able to discuss and get opinions.

Cheers

Thanks a lot Andy! you are very kind.

Just had a look Uschi van der Rosten UvdR-3 "Rig that thing" Elastic Rigging :) and it looks promising. For 1:48 do you think standard is enough? or better fine?

Cheers for the comments!

I would suggest the Standard . I just rigged the glider SG-38 from Special Hobby and used the fine one. For this 1/48 it looks quite nice, but for 48 scale fighters, or bombers, the standard is better. First it was a little bit tricky, but with a Little bit experience it is the best thing that I ever had.

All the best

Andy