Bell P-39 Airacobra / P-63 Kingcobra STGB Chat

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

After my dismal performance (again) this year I intend to make ammends with TWO builds. An RAF bird (planned for RAF GB) and the Italian one originally intended for this. Just received the SBS resin propellers for the Eduard 48th kits. WOW!!!! they're nice.

good to see......and we'll hold you to that as well!

Gee they do look rather nice! Bugga, now I may have to get me a set for my build!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

good to see......and we'll hold you to that as well!

Gee they do look rather nice! Bugga, now I may have to get me a set for my build!

I figure any extra weight upfront has to be good. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it....

My depression seems to be under control long term (remember kids if you're feeling down all the time that's the only symptom of an illness,) and closing in to the completed model finishing line for the first time in an age. Bodes well.

• Like 3

Hopefully I won't get in trouble for saying this... But Eduard has 1:48 p39 overtrees for sale on their website for €9 so if anyone's got dual combos with all does lovely markings...

Joss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @trickyrich ... I’ll ask ahead of the start time. I am signed in for this build and was wondering if i could use the HobbyBoss easybuild P-39N kit ? I was planning on modifying it into an Airacobra Mk.1 of 601 Sq. If not i will probably go with a 1/48th kit & same subject a 601 Sq. Airacobra Mk.1. I was able to use the H/B. easy-build Me.263 in that build. However I figured i would get approval ahead of time for this one ? 

that should be fine, you did a bit of extra work on the Me-262 that took it from just a simple model, so as far as I'm concerned go for it!.

Gosh is it getting that close!!!!  :yikes:

no rest for the wicked.... :frantic:

• Thanks 1

Oh dear, only four days until start.  I'm still trying to work up some mojo, and don't have a specific subject clogging up my synapses at the moment.  September's looking like it could be a very busy month, and after that is such a blank slate that it is even more daunting.  I've got a number of qualifying kits in 48th, one P-39 in 32nd, and just remembered a Heller 72nd kicking around, too, so no excuses there.

Hey does anyone know if Airacobra 1’s had the Sutton harness ? Or did they retain the US Harness. Im thinking sutton but just wondering ? I asked this question in two places to increase a chance for an answer. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 8/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey does anyone know if Airacobra 1’s had the Sutton harness ? Or did they retain the US Harness. Im thinking sutton but just wondering ? I asked this question in two places to increase a chance for an answer. 

Dennis

As part of my non-entry into the RAF GB I went into this quite deep. Sutton Harness is the answer. Also the .30 cals were the British type with oval cooling slots and no flash hider. A combination Master doesn't offer yet (in 1/48) :(

Hope your build goes well.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been "exploring" P-39s, and may yet declare my intentions (delusions) for this GB.  But then somebody was looking for YP-59 instructions (Hobbycraft 1/48), so I scanned the P-59A ones I could readily lay hands on.  Which led to looking at that kit, and also prompted me to look for the Ginter book, which smelled a bit of cigarette smoke and so has generally not been allowed to hang out with other more respectable books in my library.  I was also looking for the YP-59 kit that I'm pretty sure I have.  Haven't found either yet, though I did finally discover where that stack of Airfix Seafire 46/47 and Spit 22 disappeared to, but I digress.  It also contributed to me attempting further neatness (a relative term, mind). 

Anyway, along the way I saw an Eduard Weekend edition P-39 in a stack.  "Hmm," he thinks to himself, "I thought that was on the stairs with the Monogram and Hasegawa kits."  Scurries off to look- yes, it IS there.  So, up one Airacobra, down one Airacomet!  (I know I have a cockpit and (I think) wheels for the latter, which I hoped were with the other, fugitive kit...)

Edit: I looked in part of my aftermarket jumble, and found the (or 'a'?) cockpit.  This casts some doubt on the alleged YP-59.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gosh unfortunately this STGB has come to an end with a bit of a wimpier..........or more likely the sound of tumble weeds rolling across the desktop/gallery.

To those that made it well done, I love all three of them, you've done great work and thank you for the effort. :thumbsup:

I'm definitely one to hang my head in shame for not completing any of mine. I thought I was going great until I glue the wings on both of mine not square!! I have managed to correct it but by then interest flagged.....:(

Hopefully some of the others that were close to being finished will finally get over the line.

With only 3 in the gallery I don't think it's quite right to have a vote, those 3 are all winners here.

Thank you all for coming along even if you didn't quite get there.

• Thanks 1

I completely agree with Corsairfoxfouruncle, despite the limited number of finished kits, it has been a fun group build. In addition, it motivated me to speed up my modelling and get something finished.

• Thanks 2

no worries Anil, I think a lot of use ended up in the same boat with this build.....maybe not so much  partying.

All the threads are open and Enzo can move if you ask him nicely, or jut put in a link to them. 

• Like 1

Good morning Rich

Thank you for this Gb , I am happy that I succeeded to finish my RSmodel Airacobra despite building it was not easy  ..

I hope that all the unfinished builds will be completed soon ..

Maybe this Gb will be more succesful next time ...

Cheers

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5