Vickers Wellington Mk 1c cockpit

MickE

Hi all

I am currently building Trumpeters Mk 1c Wellington an I have a question regarding the cockpit. The kit has two control columns and rudder pedals but only one seat. Also all the pictures and you tube videos I have seen only show only one. Anyone know why Trumpeter have put two in the cockpit?

Mick

There is a fold-down seat on the right side of the cockpit. I don't remember this being represented in Trumpeter's kit, but this is installed on all Wellingtons.

The dual-control installation was a fairly simple conversion in the case of the Wellington, what Trumpeter includes seems a fair representation of what was installed in the RAF Museum's ex-trainer. From what's been written in various books, it seems the setup was commonly used in regular service, ie not only on dedicated trainers,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

FWIW the instructions on the Eduard etch show only one seat. Options :- Add a jump seat to Right Fuselage. or Trim part F3 (Cockpit Floor), remembering that you'll still need something to anchor instrument panel F31 to. When this kit first came out, I seem to remember a statement about the Wellington pilot sitting on a raised dais in solitary splendour like a pipe organ player.

• Like 1

Hi Mick, many bomber squadrons had kites with dual controls for when there

was a "second dickie" on board,that being a new pilot in need of operational

experience. As a young ATC cadet,back in 48 I had two trips in T10s and they

both had dual controls. The choice is yours!.

• Like 1

I can see benefits to having the dual controls fitted on operational airframes, simply because it would allow more rapid response from other crew members if the pilot was incapacitated. Rather than having to move the pilot out of his seat, the crew could take control rapidly using the second yoke. Dunno if such provisions were used operationally by some crews but there is some logic to it even on operational sorties with no training/familiarization activities.

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 1

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere (Wellington at War maybe?) that Wellingtons were initially intended to be flown with 2 pilots but this did not last long once war had started owing to the shortage of trained pilots. So for a subject up until ... ooh, let's say, mid-1940, I'd be inclined to leave the dual controls in place. But note my extremely scientific selection of cut-off date!

Edited by Seahawk

Good point guys. So there could be a second stick or not! Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the aircraft I am building; I have got a decal sheet from Techmod and I was going to do the 37 Sqn aircraft that is painted in Middle Stone and Dark Earth as it will make a change from the usual Brown and Green.

Mick