F9F-2P nose questions

ReccePhreak

I have the Trumpeter 1/48 F9F-2P, and I want to start working on it. I know the side oblique camera window is wrong, but I haven't found any clear photos or drawing directly from the left side, so I can figure out where to make the window and what size & shape to make it. I know there was a Teknics F9F-2P nose correction, but all the photos on the internet of it are at such an angle that I can't really make anything out.

Does anybody have the Teknics nose correction set, that they could send me a clear photo of it? Another option would be to get a clear scan from the Ginter book on the F9F, that reportedly has drawings of the nose. A scan of the wing & tip tanks would also be nice, as I hear that the kit's tanks are the wrong size. I can't really justify buying the book, just for one model.

Larry

lengesath(AT)cox(DOT)net

Hey, where's the rest of the photo? :banghead:

I looked at every post on Tommy Thomason's blogs, and did not see that photo anywhere.

Guess I will have to try to contact him.

Larry

I've looked everywhere for that photo in my files and I can't find it there either. However, this might be of use:

F9F-2P%20Nose_zpsxzhvcizs.jpg

Note that there was reportedly a window on the bottom of the nose but if so, I'm not sure where. I'm sure that it's not the two windows in the conversion kit, which appear to be the -5P downward-facing windows. There is no end of confusion between the F9F-2P, which was a depot-level kludge, and the F9F-5P, which was a Grumman bespoke product. My understanding is that the F9F-2P did not have the periscope that the -5P did have. The gunsight was reportedly removed, however.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
  • Like 2

Tommy, thanks so much for those 2 photos!! :thumbsup:

I should be able to scale them up to match the Trumpy F9F-2P kit's nose. Then I will know how big and where to cut the new window. The kit has 2 vertical camera windows in it, but they don't match the location of the windows on Monogram's F9F-5P, so they didn't do their "normal research" by copying someone else's kit. Another thing I noticed, when blowing up both photos, there appears to be a square "hole" underneath the oblique camera window & just forward of it. I wonder what that is?

Since all F9F-2Ps appear to have been painted in dark blue, it's hard to see in period B+W photos if there were windows underneath.

Now the only thing I need to figure out is what the correct size & shape the tip tanks are supposed to be.

Beat Regards,

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

For completeness: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/01/photo-panthers-f9f-2p-vs-f9f-5p.html

I'm sure that the location of the -5P downward-facing windows are not the same for the -2P. In fact, I'm not at all sure that there was a downward-facing window on the -2P although it's a possibility.

There appears to be one vertical camera window in the nose, and the square "hole" I saw in your pictures is an intake of some sort.

Look here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/my_public_domain_photos/10449278253/in/photostream/

GREAT photos, check them all out!

Larry

There appears to be one vertical camera window in the nose, and the square "hole" I saw in your pictures is an intake of some sort.

Look here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/my_public_domain_photos/10449278253/in/photostream/

GREAT photos, check them all out!

Larry

Thanks for that. It certainly looks like a window in that picture and there are hints of it in a couple of others, but nada in most. It might be a nonstandard modification to add a movie camera like the one in the F9F-5P. The anecdotal report of a downward facing window would have it much farther aft, in part to accommodate the size of the camera. Note that you'd also have to take the nose cone off to have access to a camera that far forward.

Nice shot of the side window about 12:40 (I just happened to jump to it- will have to watch the rest later!)

bob

Good find. Note that the nose cone is removed. I'll update the blog post with some screen grabs.

But is that a -2P or a -5P?

Larry

It's definitely a -2P. The nose of the -5P was not one piece like the -2P's and it didn't have a big camera mounted that far forward in the nose. In the movie, you can see the -2P's nose cone sitting vertically on the ramp.

Thanks for that info. Now to try to cobble together some decal bits, to do one of those birds in the photos on that Flickr page, especially all the mission marks.

Larry

In my stash of aftermarket stuff, I found a 1/72 F9F-2P conversion by Nosejob. It's a clear solid resin nose, with the left oblique window and a vertical window directly under in. I don't know if that position is correct or not. Too bad I don't build 1/72 anymore.

Larry

That 1/72 Esoteric Nose Job piece for the F9F-2P is a bit primitive, and the soft resin is very hard to work with. In the end, I wasn't very confident about its accuracy either.

David

Hasegawa%20F9F-2Esoteric%202P%20nose-raw

Hasegawa%20F9F-2Esoteric%202P%20nose_zps

Edited by datguy