very cool! It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be though. For some reason, I was expecting something bigger

Thanks MH. Yes, me too. I knew it was going to be small, but I was still surprised just how much smaller it was than R2. It would be nice if we got a 1/6 one some time

Looking really cool, Andy! :)

Thanks Juanjo

have you got lighting in this? I ask because those red and blue panels on the side look lit. If not, how did you get that effect? The same question applies to the "eye" - it looks awesome., I really only just noticed them - yeah...I can be a little slow on the uptake sometimes

• Like 1

Booaaahh - brilliant weathering :goodjob: Looks absolutely great.

Thanks Caerbannog

have you got lighting in this? I ask because those red and blue panels on the side look lit. If not, how did you get that effect? The same question applies to the "eye" - it looks awesome., I really only just noticed them - yeah...I can be a little slow on the uptake sometimes

Ha, no, if only that was mine. The top photo is the studio prop that I posted as a comparison for the weathering I'm adding. In reality, the little lights on the main body are absolutely minute indentations on the kit parts. It would probably be possible to drill them and add a thin optic fibre but, depending on how the body is orientated, you wouldn't see much of them. You do get decals to represent them in the kit, but they look a little over size to me, so I'll add them in paint.

The eye light seems like a point source light within the eye rather than an overall glow. Again, you could probably do it with fibre optic, a direct LED would probably be too intense. I didn't bother as I didn't want it to look too overblown. In a lot of shots of the film prop you can't tell there's a light there at all

Andy

Oh - hahaha - I should've read the first part of the post properly! :D Maybe you could use some reflective red material behind the lens to get a similar effect? Like a confetti of sorts?

• Like 1

Another excellent execution. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks Despy

He's starting to come together now. Most of the weathering is done. It's not an exact match to the studio prop, but it'll do. I don't want to go too dark with the dirt around the panels as I think it will look too exaggerated on such a small model. The torch flame's had a coat of clear blue, which makes it look a little more like the shot in the film

24887029436_be08a308e9_b.jpg

I've still got the antenna to add, and a bit of work on the base, but it's not far from the finish line

Andy

• Like 5

OK, just about ready to call this one done. BB's had his antenna fitted, and the last bits of weathering added. The base has been painted, and given various washes to dirty it up a little

24638167960_a4e83f940c_b.jpg

24840321701_4b7edcfcaf_b.jpg

24306819223_dc139a6285_b.jpg

The only thing I'd forgotten when taking these shots was to paint in the tiny lights on the body panels. You get decals for these, but they looked too big so I've now painted them in a pinkish red to vaguely look like they're lit. I'll get the finished shots up in RFI later. Thanks to everyone for following.

Andy

• Like 7

• 3 years later...
9 minutes ago, DalekCheese said:

...necroposting, but I think you made something of a prophetic statement there, @Mike

Was a bit, wasn't it? :shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy.

I have ever heard or read that modelers are artists and their models are art. I do not agree. We handle toys, very precise and very detailed but toys.
You are not one more. Definitely your work is art.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

I have ever heard or read that modelers are artists and their models are art. I do not agree. We handle toys, very precise and very detailed but toys.
You are not one more. Definitely your work is art.

Thanks Andrés. To be honest, I've always thought of kits as toys. I never take modelling seriously. It's just fun stuff to play with.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1