SU-33 Flanker D 1:48

Mike

SU-33 Flanker D
1:48 Kinetic Models

boxtop.jpg

The SU-33 is a carrier based development of the SU-27 that has suffered from the dearth of finances following the break-up of the Soviet Union at the end of the last millennium. Soon after it was taken into service by the Soviet Navy, funding was reduced to the military as a whole, and as a result only 24 airframes were ever built. Overseas sales were attempted, but none came to fruition for various reasons, and further sales to the Russian Navy weren't an option, as in 2009 they decided on the navalised Mig-29K going forward.

Beginning with the basic SU-27 airframe, the internal structure and landing gear were beefed up to cope with the additional stresses of hard carrier landings, the wings were enlarged to provide additional lift, and both the wings and stabs were fitted with folding mechanisms for storage below decks. The first aircraft embarked on the Admiral Kuznetsov in 1995 after substantial testing, but the cancellation of other carriers led to the projected buy of 72 airframes being cut back to the aforementioned 24. They are being drawn down in favour of the Mig-29K, and will be refurbished to replace their outdated avionics for future use elsewhere.

Below is a video showing why carrier landing practice is a good thing. The airframe was lost when an arrestor wire snapped, resulting in a trip to Davy Jones's locker for the aircraft.

The Kit
This is a complete new tooling of this large twin-engined fighter, and it received much praise when the test shots were on view at Telford in late 2015, filling a hole in the Soviet/Russian fast jet line-up in this scale. It would appear that Kinetic have really pushed the boat out for this release, as not only is the part count high, but the detail is also exceptional, with lots of slide-moulding used to create complex detail on multiple facets of parts that would have been impossible using non sliding moulds. The box is fairly standard for Kinetic, in their familiar blue scheme with a painting of an airborne D on the front, but inside there are some rather nice packaging touches, including separate boxes for the delicate exhaust parts and the missiles. Each box has a custom tray inside that holds the parts safe from harm until needed. There are sixteen sprues of various sizes and ten spruelets in mid grey styrene, a clear sprue, a sheet of Photo-Etch (PE) brass, decal sheet, and an instruction booklet. The instructions are in A4 portrait format and follow a new greyscale 3D drawing style, rather than the traditional line drawing seen on older kits.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

sprue5.jpg

sprue6.jpg

sprue7.jpg

sprue8.jpg

sprue9.jpg

sprue10.jpg

pe.jpg

clear.jpg

detail-cockpit.jpg

First impressions are excellent, with lots of detail, parts and clever moulding, as well as the size of the aircraft, as evidenced by the large upper and lower fuselage parts on the top of the box. Construction starts predictably enough with the cockpit, which has separate rear bulkhead and four side console panels added to improve the detail, plus the control column and a separate set of rudder pedals made up of PE and styrene parts. The K-36DM zero-zero ejection seat built up from a substantial number of parts, with PE used for the leg restraints, although sadly there aren't any seatbelts included in the kit, which is a bit of a shame. The instrument panel fits to the front of the cockpit with plenty of raised and engraved details, but no decals for the dials, which is again a bit of a shame, leaving it up to the modeller to furnish them.

detail-engines.jpg

Attention then shifts to the nose gear bay, which sits under the cockpit in the finished article. It is a deep bay, and has additional height added in the shape of detailed sidewalls, with a pair of bulkheads at the ends, and a rib/support around the halfway point. The main bays are relatively shallow, and are built up from individual panels into a rough square shape, to be added to the lower fuselage. The bay roof is moulded into the upper fuselage, and has hoses and wiring moulded-in to improve the detail. The cockpit and wheel bays can then be added to the lower portion, while the instructions tell you to add some of the bay doors at this stage, along with the recess that projects into the engine nacelle. The trunking is built up in pairs for obvious reasons, with the upper half attached to the fuselage bottom along with a pair of fan-faces, before being covered over by the big lower parts after adding some additional PE parts including the built-in FOD guards, and either open or closed auxiliary inlet louvers underneath. These complex slide-moulded cowlings have the upper half of the trunking moulded in, and it is unlikely that any resulting seam will be visible once the assembly is completed, although whether you fill them is entirely up to you. A number of small detail parts are then added to the now completed main gear bays, which couldn't be added earlier.

detail-exhausts.jpg

The nose gear is shown next, which is an odd choice considering the fuselage halves aren't even joined yet, but the reinforced unit is built up around a thick central strut, with twin wheels, landing lights, four PE slats for the mudguard, and lots of bracing/retraction struts for good measure. This could easily be left of until later, as could the main legs, which are similar in construction, but with only one wheel each, which has a little weighting moulded-in. The Arrestor hook and inner wing pylons are then added, and here you will notice how much effort has been put into detailing the pylons, both on the visible sides, as well as the mating surfaces, in case you want to show them off without weapons installed. Bay doors and their retraction jacks are also added, and again these could be left off until later, while the large ventral strakes are installed under the exhaust area. The exhaust trunking is then built up from some highly detailed and delicate parts that are amongst the best styrene exhausts I have seen. A rear engine face and a very detailed afterburner ring in PE is also included for those minded to look into the tail pipes, but this area should look very good with some sympathetic paintwork.

detail-fuselage.jpg

A pair of cockpit sidewalls are added to the upper fuselage as well as a bay for the refuelling probe, and at last the top and bottom halves are mated, leaving you with a lot less room on your desk suddenly. The nose is detailed with a suite of sensors, probes, the large IRST fairing with clear lens, plus a PE HUD frame with clear glass and projector lens. The refuelling probe and some of the more prominent and delicate sensors are probably safer left off until later. The windscreen is fitted to the large mating point around the coaming, but the canopy has a separate frame and additional details such as the demisting hoses and PE rear-view mirrors added, before adding the glazing. This and the windscreen have a bulbous front profile, which requires a three-part mould to de-mould them, so they have a very fine seam on the outer surface. This can be sanded away and then polished back to clarity, but if that thought turns you to jelly, it is very fine so might go unnoticed if you're lucky. The large air-brake is mounted behind the cockpit, and is double-skinned for extra detail, with a large ram to push it up into the airflow when needed.

detail-radome.jpg

The outer wing panels are able to be posed folded if you want to save space or like the way they look, so a pair of joint pieces are included to blank off the hollow space at the roots. There are also leading-edge slats and trailing edge flaps to add, but check them for sink-marks as you go, because the review sample had a few easily remedied sink-marks particularly in the slats. A smear of Tamiya Basic Putty and a little bit of sanding will soon see them gone, as they aren't near any major details. Just as you think you're going to fit the wings, the instructions divert you sneakily to putting on the twin tail fins, with poseable rudders and sensor suite that are made up from separate parts, so that they can be left off to save damage. The parapack fairing can also be posed open with a couple of small detail parts and a strut included, but as there is no parachute in there, it's of limited value. At the other end, the big nose cone is a one-piece moulding, and has ample space for nose weight, although none is specified. A number of small antennae are added underneath, and a choice of two pitot probes for wings folded and unfolded are also in the box.

detail-wings.jpg

Back to the wings. If you are folding the wings the outer wing panels will need a bulkhead installing at the break, and don't forget to drill out the mounting points for the wing pylons before you close up the halves. There are full-width slats at the front, and a choice of closed up or deployed two-section flaperons at the trailing edge. Again, check these for sink-marks well before you need them. The canards are single parts that slide into holes in the leading edge of the fuselage/wing blend, and the elevators have small pins that fit to corresponding slots in the stub, with PE covers. If you are folding the wings, an L-shaped brace fits in the root along with a pair of smaller supports, while the assembly process for the elevators seems to have been missed entirely. From looking at pictures on the web however, the pins fit vertically in the slot, with the covers retained on the pin, spacing the raised section from the stub.

The last task is to choose and install the weapons, which are all slide-moulded as one main part, the two R-73s (incorrectly labelled as R-27s in the instructions) having additional vanes at the front added from PE for a more realistic look. They also have separate exhausts on their spruelet. The wingtip fairings have an optional pod on the port wing, while all the weapons use their own specific adaptor rail. The R-27s are provided with two of each of the Alamo D and C variants, all of which are slide-moulded as one part each. Here is where I'm a little torn about the weapons using slide-moulding, as yes they give great detail, but if there is the smallest element of mould slip, you have four seams to clean up, all of which run over highly detailed areas. A little mould-slip is almost inevitable with five-part moulds like these (four sides, and one part for the hollow exhaust), so a lot of careful scraping of the seams will be needed before you can paint them. This isn't a criticism of Kinetic, as I have seen this on other kits from different manufacturers. That said, they will look great if you put the effort in with the seams. The load-out diagram shows the R-27s on the centre wing pylon and the R-72s on the outer pylons, but as always check your references and find a real-world warload that suits your needs.

Markings
The decal sheet allows you to portray any of the aircraft of the 279th Fighter Aviation Regiment aboard Admiral Kuznetsov, because it covers all the code numbers, plus the tail art of 1st Eagle Squadron and 2nd Tiger squadron. Variations are noted in scrap diagrams, and the stencils are called out on the main drawings. The dielectric panels are painted white, and decals are included for the majority, but you will have to paint the radome, tail tips and inboard panels on the fins yourself. The camouflage scheme is the same throughout, consisting of pale blue/blue/blue grey, all called out in Gunze colours, although there is a conversion chart at the beginning of the booklet for Vallejo, AMMO, Italeri, Humbrol, Tamiya and AKAN. AKAN do a paint set specifically for the SU-33, which contains the correct blue shades in a set of six under the code 47326. Having recently used AKAN for the first time on my Mig-31 Foxhound, I'll be seeking these out when it comes time for the build. Martin @ Coastal Craft will be getting a call.

decals.jpg

Conclusion

This has to be Kinetic's best model to date, both in terms of detail and the technology used in creating it. There are a few mistakes in the instructions, and the PE sheet is unprotected in the box despite being very thin and flimsy, so could really do with a card protector. Other than that, there's not much to gripe about, and an awful lot to like.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of luckylogo.gif

• Like 9

Great review Mike, I will be ordering one of these as soon as pay-day comes around, or I can get some more bits and bobs converted into stash funds via eBay.

I have read that the tooling for this kit originated as an Aviation Art project but was picked up by Kinetic prior to or on their demise, whatever, as you point out it is a step up for Kinetic, and they are to be applauded for bringing the still born project to the market place hopefully it will be a good seller for them.

I'm tempted to get another at some point to convert into a Chinese Navy J-15 too.

• Like 1

I've got one and started the build. So far impressions are good, I have one tiny short shot on one tail plane (the static discharges) but I can live with that. However the instructions are poor. Quite a bit of dry fitting to try to work out what the instructions mean.

Thanks for the review.

Would it be possible to add a close-up shot of the missiles to show how large the mold steps are? I saw some in some other preview and they looked rather noticeable so I'm just curious if it varies between production runs or it's pretty much consistent and unavoidable.

I wish the decals were more comprehensive, but I think I have a Begemot stencil set somewhere for the Su-27. I presume they're more or less compatible since Begemot doesn't offer a separate Su-33 stencil set.

Edited by Dudikoff

Great review, mine is on its way from china.

Thanks for the review.

Would it be possible to add a close-up shot of the missiles to show how large the mold steps are? I saw some in some other preview and they looked rather noticeable so I'm just curious if it varies between production runs or it's pretty much consistent and unavoidable.

I wish the decals were more comprehensive, but I think I have a Begemot stencil set somewhere for the Su-27. I presume they're more or less compatible since Begemot doesn't offer a separate Su-33 stencil set.

Begemot Set 4807 for the SU-33, offers up 19 variants including prototypes:

24114710499_975a191f39_b.jpg

Edit - just seen you said Stencil set- your right it is lacking!

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 1

According to Begemot the Su27 set is good for the Su-33.

from their website:

Full stencil set for one Su-27 (early and late productional batches aircraft) or one Su-27UB (early and late productional batches aircraft) or one Su-33 aircraft and stencil for 40 types of external armament (Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground missiles, FFAR missiles and pods, guilded and unguilded bombs) for all Su-27 family aircrafts.

http://www.begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?lang=2&id=52

Am I correct in saying that this is not 100% a kinetic kit, but a kit that was developed and into test shot stage by another company which then fell through and kinetic purchased the project off them to finish the job?

It looks an amazing kit, I've always been put off by flankers due to difficulty in getting the right colour paints in acrylics as I only use acrylics.

Mike, the brand you've been using recently, can you tell me a little about those in a PM?

Nice review Mike - although not my scale, it certainly looks like we have, at last, an accurate Flanker in 1/48 scale.

One small correction, if I may.....

The parapack fairing can also be posed open with a couple of small detail parts and a strut included, but as there is no parachute in there, it's of limited value

The Su-33 doesn't have a brake parachute - but the tip of the tailboom folds up to reduce the overall length for carrier stowage - so the kit part allows you to display it open.

The nose pitot also folds down for the same reason - in fact with the nose and tailboom folded, plus the wings and tailplanes, the Su-33 actually has a smaller deck 'footprint' than the original MiG-29K - one of the reasons it was selected over its Mikoyan rival.

I wonder if the 2nd Tiger Sqn will ever get an invite to a NATO Tiger Meet - now wouldn't that be nice ??

Ken

PS - My walkround photos - of a test machine taken at Zhukovsky - are here.

PPS - Whilst I am in a pedantic mood - It's Su-33 not SU-33 - the first two letters of Pavel Sukhoi's surname - and pronounced 'Soo-33' - NOT 'Ess You-33'

Happy (Sea) Flankering

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 4

And after all the hassle you've given me I was doing Sue-33, with apologies to Sooty & Sweep :doh:

Just a quick follow on I ordered some paint from Martin last week and when I phoned back to chat to him his wife informed me he'd been rushed into hospital with a perforated ulcer. I'm calling back later in the week to see how he is.

Edited by chris57

I think I shall be treating myself to a set of the stencils if they're suitable for my Sea Flanker :)

I have the Begemot stencil set, it's extensive and has the required decals for the Su-33, even has Su-33 profiles for placement. Lots of weapons stencils too.

Sorry not a great photo taken with my phone!

d4cd928a-25b7-466c-945a-1585841915de.jpg

• Like 1

I have the Begemot stencil set, it's extensive and has the required decals for the Su-33, even has Su-33 profiles for placement. Lots of weapons stencils too.

Sorry not a great photo taken with my phone!

Great news, thanks for the photos.

Great review, mine is on its way from china.

Begemot Set 4807 for the SU-33, offers up 19 variants including prototypes:

Yeah I meant stencils, but thanks - I might get that set, too, since Kinetic only offers the recent Russian options, while I might consider doing mine as one of the Soviet-era prototypes.

Edited by Dudikoff

Nice review Mike - although not my scale, it certainly looks like we have, at last, an accurate Flanker in 1/48 scale.

One small correction, if I may.....

The parapack fairing can also be posed open with a couple of small detail parts and a strut included, but as there is no parachute in there, it's of limited value

The Su-33 doesn't have a brake parachute - but the tip of the tailboom folds up to reduce the overall length for carrier stowage - so the kit part allows you to display it open.

The nose pitot also folds down for the same reason - in fact with the nose and tailboom folded, plus the wings and tailplanes, the Su-33 actually has a smaller deck 'footprint' than the original MiG-29K - one of the reasons it was selected over its Mikoyan rival.

I wonder if the 2nd Tiger Sqn will ever get an invite to a NATO Tiger Meet - now wouldn't that be nice ??

Ken

PS - My walkround photos - of a test machine taken at Zhukovsky - are here.

PPS - Whilst I am in a pedantic mood - It's Su-33 not SU-33 - the first two letters of Pavel Sukhoi's surname - and pronounced 'Soo-33' - NOT 'Ess You-33'

Happy (Sea) Flankering

Great info Flankerman. Where would we be without your expertise?

Curious, what is your preferred scale? 1:72?

A great kit it seems, look forward to your build thread Mike if you get around to one!

Can't decide if I'm going to get one or not! Hopefully this will be the first of the canard equipped Flankers to be produced (i'm silently praying for a Su-30MKI/MKM/MKA!)

Mine arrived early in the new year. It's a stunning kit and judging by reports in various forums, this very much marks a new chapter in respect parts and instruction quality for all new Kinetic kits.

Regarding the lack of decals for the instrument panels and seat belt - seems that Kinetic are banking on folks spending extra in the PE upgrade set. I've already got mine. :)

It's a stunning kit and judging by reports in various forums, this very much marks a new chapter in respect parts and instruction quality for all new Kinetic kits.

Not really because this is not their design and definitely not their technology. So in reality cannot be judged based on this one :-(

Not really because this is not their design and definitely not their technology. So in reality cannot be judged based on this one :-(

Agreed - I'm aware that another company did the bulk of the work for the Su-33. However I have read a forum response from the person in charge of Kinetic saying that the companies aspirations are to develop and market kits that are as good, if not better the the Su-33 and other recent releases - that was the basis for my post (although I omitted the context!). Guess we have to wait and see. The F/A-18 is next on the radar I believe? So hopefully not too long! :)