Tamiya enamels : hard to get in the UK /

Starfighter

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest a shop / retailer in the UK where I can buy Tamiya enamels, as they seem to be very hard to find. There are some on e-bay, but only if you order from Hong Kong or Taiwan.

:cheers:

I noticed that my Tamiya bottles, have an additional sticker on them. Sometimes covering up the proper label for the paint.

Looks like maybe the extra labeling show place of production (unsure), a health warning (irritant), and fire hazard warning. And some numbers and id of whoever made the label.

Description of this extra label:

"Tamiya X+XF paint" (in my local language)

Big X icon, with the text "locally irritant" (or somesuch)

"Fire hazard"

"Wittrock A/S CVR. 28123876

"Labeltext: Altox A/S"

The "A/S" (same as "Inc" afaik), indicate this is some kind of local labeling.

Edited by Housesparrow

I have had 2 of these enamels , copper and bronze for donkeys years now ,whenever i use them I find one congealed mess in the bottom.. However half filling the bottle with cellulose thinner and leaving it for an hour or so and after giving it a good stir,its as good as new and sprays beautifully and dries quick .

But where im a bit confused, if this is a lacquer base or enamel ?

Although I have never tried it I doubt if it would brush any good, but its a brilliant spray paint.

There's a chance that won't turn up, given that the postage price can only support throwing it in the paper-mail and hoping for the best.

You maybe right, guess its down to how much you want them to make it worth the risk. Never had any issues myself getting stuff from the Far East, eBay or otherwise be it kits, paint, or other stuff that's not available in the UK.

I have had 2 of these enamels , copper and bronze for donkeys years now ,whenever i use them I find one congealed mess in the bottom.. However half filling the bottle with cellulose thinner and leaving it for an hour or so and after giving it a good stir,its as good as new and sprays beautifully and dries quick .

But where im a bit confused, if this is a lacquer base or enamel ?

Although I have never tried it I doubt if it would brush any good, but its a brilliant spray paint.

Enamels generally thin as well with white spirit as they do with cellulose. Ours work really well with either. I use white spirit for cheapness and cellulose when I'm in a hurry. With cellulose thinners enamels dry as fast as acrylics, except not on the needle, they will brush and they adhere properly to modelling materials.

• Like 1

I ebleive the Tamiya enamels may be lacquer based

Not sure they are laquer based but a lot of modellers do swear by using the Tamiya lacquer thinners rather than the normal stuff.

Tamiya acrylics are not water based though they will thin with water.

The standard Tamiya is pretty much IPA - Iso propyl alcohol, not the beer. I find a mix of 80% IPA and 20% distilled water is pretty close to Tamiya thinners.

I think this is why Tamiya paints dry so quckly.

Sorry, again talking about acyrlics - should read the OP properly.

Yes the the Tamiya enamels are lacquer based.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

• 4 weeks later...

There's a chance that won't turn up, given that the postage price can only support throwing it in the paper-mail and hoping for the best.

Because i like this stuff so much and noticed on the Tamiya site that it is only available in certain country's,i thought I would risk the price of 4 bottles from the mentioned Ebay site . Well the first bottle arrived this morning I suspect by letter post. So when the rest arrives it will inspire me with enough confidence to order a little bit more.

• Like 1