1/8 Cunningham E Type Revell conversion

Nice touch on the windows being part way up and the shot looking into the foot well of the driver's side looks suitably well used and quite authentic. Your subtle touch on the weathering is pretty realistic looking and not over done like some but, just the right amount of grunge and grim to make you feel as though you're looking at the genuine article. I'm sure the car owner will be thrilled to have a miniature of his historic race car. I also like your high tech method of attaching the door pull inside the door.

... I also like your high tech method of attaching the door pull inside the door.

LOL - Actually, the pull is C/A'd in place. The bit of tape was just to keep it there while I fed the glue in.

The tape came off before fitting the panel.

Playing about with the roof parts now - trimming and fettling to fit.

Roy.

P1011748_zpsgnlf3x8q.jpg

P1011749_zps0ymmsvzq.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Nice to see the roof turned out all right after its accident! These had a reputation for being very dense, complex cars, so kudos on getting all that detail in there - I agree that it must be hard to know when, exactly to stop filling it with additional detail.

The car I'm working from was in that race as number 8.

It also raced that weekend under the current number 22.

It might even be the white one in your picture.

You can just make out the twin blue stripes on the hard top.

Roy.

• Like 1

Roy, I love the way you created the door panels and especially the footwell, where you can see heel and toe marks on the carpets. Amazingly realistic.

It may have sounded like over 90 cars, but in reality I think that there were 52 starters.

well that's what I thought I counted, but maybe my memory is playing tricks and that was the lunch time,parade? ;) Great day though

Got to say Roy the Cunningham E-type looks amazing, your use of everyday items to add detail is inspired - look forward to future builds - Stewart from EvilBay

Many thanks Stewart.

Chugging along with all the niggly bits now...

The lower screen surround is sorted, fitted and the glazing fixed into the roof panel after what seems hours of trimming and tweaking.

The roll bar was made from a piece of old guitar lead with a length of thick wire fed through the stripped-out core.

It was bent to shape and epoxied in place.

Using old guitar lead also nicely replicated the rubber sleeve around the real roll bar.

Front interior mirror and support is in place and the roof finally screwed down as per the actual car.

Stripes added but rear screen trim and rear roof braces still to fit.

Light glasses painted and fitted but fixing screws still to be replicated.

Front intake baffles and air ducts added.

Looking near to the end now but still a lot of fiddly little bits to go.

Maybe done by early next week...

Roy.

P1011750_zpsuy6hpuph.jpg

P1011752_zpszglkc3z8.jpg

P1011751_zps5mhjfhjk.jpg

P1011753_zps6jvy1m3h.jpg

P1011754_zpssdaigrfx.jpg

P1011756_zpslxy3jdrk.jpg

P1011757_zpsljkwydem.jpg

P1011759_zpsw0wimzxr.jpg

P1011762_zpsg15hzaes.jpg

P1011764_zpsuyvuzptq.jpg

P1011765_zpsnbuvkwlj.jpg

Fantastic, Roy. I really like the windscreen and its surrounds. Must have been quite difficult to get the back of the roof fitted to the rear deck.

Thanks you guys.

Getting the roof to fit fairly well was a bit of a mission.

It's completely removable by undoing the srews on either side just behind the doors.

Lower front edge of the screen is 'trapped' behind the scuttle screen frame. Therefore I could fit the roof, look at where there were fit issues, take it off and alter.

It was always a case of taking a little material off at a time, as once trimmed, it can't be put back.

The fit isn't perfect but it's as close as I dare go.

It's one of thoses cases where I'm tempted to do 'a bit more' but I know it would be one cut too far and I'd ruin it.

The lower rubber seal is still something I'm trying to sort but if all else fails, I'll use flat 1.5mm sheet rubber, and cut a 3-4mm strip and attach it around the lower edge of the roof.

Similar tactics for the rear screen rubber still to add.

rear and front side Lights, chromework, roof lamps, two front spotlight covers, bonnet fly screen, wipers, door shut catches, wheel spinners, bonnet catches, door side air vents, drivers door mirror...

And anything else I find looking at the real car.

Getting there.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Creeping toward completion now.

I say creeping, as I always find the last bits seem to take an age. I'm constantly fretting that there's some glaring omission somewhere.

Wheel spinners have been cast, painted and added.

Racing number lights scratched and fitted, side/tail lights added with scratched black rubber seal. I always think it's these tiny bits that make a real difference.

You don't notice when they are there, and you don't notice when they are. But somehow, it makers a subtle difference.

Drivers' door 'bullet' mirror cast and ready to paint and fit.

Not a huge amount still to do, but it all takes time...

Roy.

P1011768_zpss8lij6ee.jpg

P1011767_zpsyrwektc2.jpg

P1011773_zpsd1ysyngk.jpg

P1011774_zpsx7afrhfo.jpg

P1011777_zpskccbkqwi.jpg

P1011778_zpsadolhuki.jpg

P1011779_zpsyhqnyuos.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

You always find its the finishing details that make so much difference that invariably take the longest, just like the last fiddly bits of wallpaper where you have loads of trimming & cutting to do! :banghead:

Looking superb indeed.

Mac

I like the little touchs like, the front air intakes and splitters in the grille area and the headlight rings around the covers. You always add lots of layers of detail on your build's. On a side note, I really like the view from your work area into the backyard and the train layout.

I didn't do anything on my little garden railway last year.

I need to make a bit more effort this year when the weather is better.

I've painted, mirrored and fitted the driver door mirror now.

Only the one mirror, unlike the road cars that have a pair.

Roy.

P1011780_zpsq9cyfjkd.jpg

P1011781_zpsjbbpivtv.jpg

P1011783_zpstrkno1m8.jpg

• Like 1

I'm still waffling on with the final little bits.

The front fly screen has been scratched and added with (rivet counter) correct number of fixings.

Side bonnet handles fitted and side door window air vents scratched and added.

The roof lights were cast in resin.

The mould was a block of plasticine with a domed-end pencil pushed in.

Lenses are coloured 'Dew drops' that are made for card-making.

I made new windscreen wipers as the kit parts are just hilarious!

They are literally 1/16 scale on a 1/8 scale car. Laughably crude and far too miniscule.

I made one wiper and took a rubber mould so I could cast three the same.

I deliberately took them out of the mould when they were still 'soft' so that I could form them around the screen properly.

I just hate it when a model is finished, and wipers don't 'sit' properly.

The two bumps on the front are covers over extra lights. The actual car has them.

I've made the two rear window braces but can't fit them yet as the roof seal and rear window rubber still needs adding.

Slowly getting there now...

Roy.

P1011786_zpsvdpkgyyk.jpg

P1011788_zpsvwykr5pw.jpg

P1011790_zps8cpgabnf.jpg

P1011792_zpsvxcijyog.jpg

P1011801_zpsxagt6kmq.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Your details like the wipers and mirror are wonderful Roy. It's a shame such a beautiful form as the e-Type is festooned with all manner of gee-gaws like those roof lights. But you are faithful to the 1:1 and that's what matters.

I especially like the front markers and rear tail lamps; what did to make the colored lenses from?