Academy 1/72 KAI T-50

tonywood

Hi all
My first WIP on here!
Last year I purchased the Academy 1/72 KAI T-50, whilst regarded as a toy due to its lack of undercarriage and pre colours snap fit nature I decided to attempt to make a presentable model. The snap fit lugs were removed and the undercarriage bay was taken from a Revell F-16A with some additional scratch building.

WP_20160118_001_zpskjvecikz.jpg

The seats are Pavla MB Mk16 with additional cockpit detail scratchbiilt.

WP_20160118_006_zpsosngy2ls.jpg

The new undercarriage bay with F-16 main legs attached, the detail is unlikely to be accurate for a T-50 but I'm happy with it, the undercarrige rams will be scratch built.

WP_20160118_004_zpsdeikll5a.jpg

The kit stickers are awful so the colour scheme was masked and airbrushed using the stickers as a template. For national markings and serials I have a dry transfer set for a RoKAF Hawk obtained from Japan

WP_20160118_010_zpsisivbcco.jpg

WP_20160118_011_zps4ae2nqrp.jpg
A new nosewheel is being scratch built using donor F-16 parts.

WP_20160118_009_zpsr6sf0zye.jpg

Edited by tonywood
  • Like 2

Hello Tony. You can directly post your pictures in your post: on the picture in Photobucket, left-click the box to the right labeled "Direct" under 'Share this photo'. Then, in the headers above what you are writing in your post here, you'll see an icon that looks like a little Polaroid photo. Click that, and right-click and 'paste', hit enter et voila:

WP_20160118_001_zpskjvecikz.jpg

Many thanks for the In-Progress, Tony!

The orange trim around the nose came out pretty sharp and I shall shamelessly copy your way of doing it :blush::)

Really looking forward to see this one finished!

Cheers,

Niki

I have now added the nosewheel, the F-16 nose leg is too short so the undercarriage leg is scratchbuilt

WP_20160121_018_zpsxqxkbtxt.jpg

The main undercarriage doors will be modified F-16 doors, the chamfered corner of the F-16 doors is a different angle so plasticard was added, this will be blended and cut to the correct angle.

WP_20160121_020_zpshtfgwgoe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress on the T-50, now the undercarriage has been fully fitted attention has turned to decalling, the RoKAF national markings and tail markings come from the Easycal Hawk T67 sheet which although are dry transfer decals are easy to use and adhere nicely. The stencilling is made up of various items from the spares box with walkway markings coming from a Revell F-16A.

WP_20160130_007_zpssaogmtcl.jpg

WP_20160201_027_zpslhu8xmju.jpg

WP_20160201_030_zpsafubvxsj.jpg

WP_20160201_031_zpscafknjau.jpg

WP_20160201_032_zpsw226nd5p.jpg

WP_20160201_033_zpsd5krlyqv.jpg

WP_20160203_005_zpsbrxci8wr.jpg

The only decals I cant source are correctly sized national markings for wings, these are larger than the fuselage ones but unfortunately the Hawk ones are all the same size, pondering wether to apply an undersized one or try and find a 1/48 one that would fit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

You have been busy, but it's looking good mate - mine's not quite so far along but should be done in a few more days (hopefully!) - I've been looking to see if I could find something in my decal box you could use - Those wing markings, are they the same size as the 'orrible stickers??

Tony R

• 5 years later...