Brazilian P-47D-25 - Italy October 1944 - completed

Wow, that all looks fantastic Rich. I attempted the same technique regarding an aluminum base over the cockpit and wheel wells, but yours turned out way better - very realistic results (the wires sticking out the back of the IP even!)

I've never seen the thinned putty technique you used on the ordnance. That turned out great too.

Thanks...

I found this method online the other day while looking up some reference details. The idea is to replicate the rough finish the booms had, especially if you're building in the bigger scales, 1/32nd or 1/24th. I thought I'd give it a go and it turned out not too bad. I just thinned some Tamiya white filler with some Alclad Airbrush cleaner and applied with a cotton bud. Just be careful though, the AB cleaner will eat the plastic, just go lightly and alls good.

Do a search on the web for it.

• Like 1

Nice progress Rich. Did you go with the Eduard harness at the end?

I have some bad news - you are infected with RCV! (the rivet counter virus). Or did a nice fairy move the leaver panel on the cockpit floor for you :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

the Rivet Counter Fairy visited me, buts it's ok now as our fat grey cat got it! :D

yeah I used the Eduard one and for a change I didn't have any issues with it...guess the Fairy sacrifice helped!

• Like 1

well I didn’t quite get to where I had hoped to be today, but I have made good progress.

Distractions today, shopping with SHMBO, got some new stuff from Apple, plus was buying on evilBay! Bough/won a Super High detailing set for a Fw-190 by FM Resin, so expect to see this for either the Fw-190 STGB or the Eastern Front GB!!

Anyway back to the build…lots of photos today.

I am really happy with how the cockpit came out...even though at first I wasn't, looks really cool in the photos!

As promised here are some better photos of the cockpit now glued together, with the Gun sight just sitting in place.

DSCF1437_zpsjon7t1xq.jpg

DSCF1438_zpst4cw2udd.jpg

DSCF1439_zpsuxbn5qkw.jpg

DSCF1440_zpsp2dn2wwt.jpg

DSCF1441_zps2xphzhvz.jpg

Finished gluing the wings together, one is now complete. The other needs finishing off.

DSCF1451_zpsl9ks6heo.jpg

That said I test fitted the gun barrels….

DSCF1442_zpsnceziogs.jpg

Very nice!

The bombs are nearly there, better photo today.

DSCF1448_zpsixef2ukf.jpg

Started work on the rocket pods…

DSCF1444_zpszdwydfqa.jpg

….now painted just need to final detail them…..

DSCF1450_zpsokhveezn.jpg

…..wheels are getting there…..

DSCF1447_zpskz14wpii.jpg

….started painting the rudder, will be the first part completed!

DSCF1449_zps3m8q13zr.jpg

If you know the model then this is a bit strange, the engine is meant to go in before the cowling flaps! I have fitted the cowling flaps first, I plan to finish the final scheme on the cowling before I fit the engine and fit it to the fuselage. Not the usual way of doing it…but it suits my build plans.

DSCF1446_zpsvbuqkrfg.jpg

..and the first look of it sort of together!! Am quite happy where I’m at, at this stage!

DSCF1452_zpszmdjyjwb.jpg

DSCF1453_zpsyqkv1z4x.jpg

DSCF1454_zps3lwyyaq5.jpg

DSCF1455_zpst6n4dzlx.jpg

Tomorrow hopefully will be a big day, hope to have the basic painting completed on the rudder and cowling sections….and maybe the flaps, plus hope to have the fuselage together as well.

• Like 9

You are going very fast. Can you slow down a bit. I am feeling embarressed.

Great job on the cockpit etc.

The gun barrels look ace.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

You are going very fast. Can you slow down a bit. I am feeling embarressed.

Great job on the cockpit etc.

The gun barrels look ace.

Cheers,

Actually they look like Master :winkgrin:

I like the effect you achieved on the bombs - looks very authentic.

Cheers, Peter

Wow!! That is some seriously impressive modelling! That cockpit is superb! I'm going to send you mine so you can upgrade it to your level! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

thanks for the nice comments, very much appreciated.

Well I should have an update but progress was very slow yesterday...well it actually stalled! I was trying a few things that didn't quite workout, plus the green I was using for the rudder stripe....well lets just say I might have to strip the paint off and start again!

So in a frustrated mood I packed it away and raided the stash...and started playing with a 1/48th F1.

I'm well enough along now that I can be distracted a wee bit, wings are done, fuselage together, wings and fuselage together...so have to be happy with that. Rudder issues is just a pain but no real drama, plus have started painting the cowling....am using LifeColor paints but they don't go onto a NMF as well as the Tamiya ones, sort of look a bit "watery" if that's the way to describe it.

Off to work again tomorrow, so will have a week to plan my next steps............will do a proper update tonight......

Again thanks for all the nice comments.

I love Lifecolor paints, they dry so smooth, and I like their color matches, but they don't stick to metalizer at all. I had to repaint the wing of a Spitfire around three or four times as the Lifecolor would lift so easily from the metalizer underneath - I had done so for chipping purposes, but I didn't want ALL the paint gone. Giemme recommended a coat of Future, and this did help, but they are still not very robust attached to such a smooth surface.

I love Lifecolor paints, they dry so smooth, and I like their color matches, but they don't stick to metalizer at all. I had to repaint the wing of a Spitfire around three or four times as the Lifecolor would lift so easily from the metalizer underneath - I had done so for chipping purposes, but I didn't want ALL the paint gone. Giemme recommended a coat of Future, and this did help, but they are still not very robust attached to such a smooth surface.

mmm the Metalizer paints do tend to not provide a stable base for the next coat, which isn't so bad if you want a "chipped" finish, but will get me issues as I want a more worn/faded look. I might have to use a coat of sealer to see if that helps. The first couple of times I used LifeColor paints I could stop raving about them......but this time the Green I'm using is giving me grief! It was a bit too thick and after carefully adding water I got to the stage where I needed just a teeny bit more....and it went to watery crap........I then added alcohol and stormed off...as in I had a beer and went and played on the web! :badmood:

Anyway.......

Well I hadn’t planned to do any more for the moment after yesterdays one forward two backwards sort of day but I had to wait for things to dry on my distraction so I did a wee bit as I waited.

The rudder, which for some reason the LifeColor Int. Green went all watery when applied, was stripped back with over cleaner. This time an undercoat of white was applied, then masked and Tamiya Yellow applied…no issues at all. Next the LifeColor, (even after I’d even started to thicken it up) went on thin lumpy and washed out looking! I may end up using enamel for this, the colour I need to match the decals is Interior Green.

That aside I worked on the wheels, I finally noticed that I was using the wrong ones, I should have been using the covered ones for this aircraft… so a quick trip to the spray booth and a wash…much better!

DSCF1460_zpsjk1zvyuk.jpg

Just a touch up on the black needed...maybe replace with tyre black?

The cowling was the next bit (while all this was going on I was still playing with the F1), this was to be the main trial piece for the paint job. First off a coat of Model master Metalizer Non Buffing Aluminium (that’s a mouthful and a half! ..to be called now MM Aluminium). Then some masking, before LifeColor Neutral Grey (no problems with this one), and then Mr Hobby Olive Drab.

From this test a couple of things, I’ll need to use a sealing coat to help the acrylic paint to go on smoothly, plus it will help keep the paint from chipping off when I remove the blutack! The finish I’m after is a very worn and faded look, patchy but without a lot of ”chipping” from the photos I’ve seen. As can be seen the OD is a bit blotchy

DSCF1461_zpsuxpqxjib.jpg

I will play a bit more with this, if it turns out ok I’ll keep it, if not I’ll strip it back and start again!

The rudder section, wings and elevators, in that order were fitted next.

I haven’t mentioned it yet, bit this has to be one of the best models I have built in a very long time where everything just fit perfectly!!! Tamiya just did a perfect job in making sure everything just fitted, this would have to be one of their best models!

That said it then takes an oaf like me to try and ruin all their effort but trying to fit some AM resin bits that weren’t actually needed in the first place! Yes the wing joins that were originally perfect did need a bit of persuasion and some clever trickery to fit nicely…..no telling what was require…..

DSCF1462_zpszlyjcefm.jpg

DSCF1463_zpsfavc6n5p.jpg

DSCF1464_zpsj5mzhktw.jpg

Am more than happy with the result, not the slightest bit of filler needed, am very happy with that!

And here is where we stand before I head off again. She does look really cool…if I can just get the finish I’m after right! Oh and the prop was finished….until the paint lifted off, so had to start again.

DSCF1465_zps7vvmueya.jpg

DSCF1466_zps04jpki4x.jpg

DSCF1467_zps7r0gac9e.jpg

DSCF1468_zpsrg2gvnpy.jpg

Well I now have a week to plan my next steps, I know in my head what I need to do, I just think I need to practise the painting bits!

• Like 10

Nice work so far, I might have to get one of these 48th kits if I can find one cheap.

Noticed the F1 what's the plans for that.
Ref your F-111 tag when I was on 12 Sqn RAF flying clothing in 1984 we had a RAAF Jockey on exchange he was on F111 and Mirages.

Paul

Whoa, that became a P-47 in a hurry, and an excellent looking one at that. I love the yellow/green tail markings and the faded look of the tail wheel attachment.

I had a Lifecolor gloss blue do the same thing your green did. It was impossible to thin correctly and just became a mess. I have a tin of Lifecolor Dark Sea blue and was hesitant to use it, but it's the best gloss acrylic I've ever seen. I think maybe they've just had a bad batch or two.

Nice work so far, I might have to get one of these 48th kits if I can find one cheap.

Noticed the F1 what's the plans for that.

Ref your F-111 tag when I was on 12 Sqn RAF flying clothing in 1984 we had a RAAF Jockey on exchange he was on F111 and Mirages.

Paul

I have a cool set of markers for French F1's operated over Kosovo, 0 that each had a different pinup girl on them. Was going to build this for the French GB but didn't have the time, so though why not now...

I worked o n F-111's in the golden years, the 80's, so have a bit of a soft spot for them

I have the same decal set. I also have one other I got from some one that did the a/c that had the sharks mouth on the centre tank.

I did not finish my build for that GB as well, still slowly plodding a long with it.

I have lived near Upper Heyford since the early 60's apart from the time I was in the RAF so know the F-111 well.

Paul

• Like 1