Zts Plastyk A&AEE Javelin

Kes

I recently completed this one in a group build on an alternate modeling forum, It's my first build from ZTS Plastyk of Poland (although I had a copy of their Draken a while back) This one is a little like Frog or Airfix kits of the sixties in their level of detail and parts breakdown, no landing gear bay or cockpit detail, nor intake or jetpipe detail either so not one for the purest rivet counting AMS sufferer, assuming the drawings in 'Warpaint Publications No.17 Gloster Javelin' are relatively accurate the kit isn't ! The nose is too short the rear fuselage is to narrow and the wings and tail aren't fantastic either! That said! (ahem) I really enjoyed putting the thing together, not one for an assembler, this one needs work, model putty/filler is essential as most of the mating surfaces don't have a square flush edge but a tiny radius so a gap is inevitable! I used brass tube for intakes and jetpipes I took the main wheels from a Heller T3 as the kit wheels weren't good at all! Rattle can white carefully masked and brush painted Humbrol HU174 Signal Red in a million coats!!The 'Three' Pitots' are aftermarket and decals from the spares box as most of the kit decals were unusable!!

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0635.jpg

On a positive note the nose landing gear and mainwheel struts and burner cans are a great improvement over the spindly offerings from Airfix/Heller

So, one Gloster Javelin FAW9 XH897 of A&AEE 1967, employed in various calibration duties, hence the 'three pitot' and super high visibility paint job!

It looks like a Javelin to me, so qualifies on my build list so much so I've acquired another to build A&AEE's orange and yellow FAW7??!!

. . . Kes (who has a 'thing' for calibration aircraft right now?)

• Like 34

Hey Ratch, it is 1/72, or would be if it was a little longer in the nose? I have another similar kit, might be worth crossing it with an Airfix/Heller example to build a 'definitive' 1/72 Javelin?

. . . Kes

Well done for building this one (and to such a high standard too). I bought 2 of them from the Internet without researching them first and boy was I disappointed! The only usable bits for me (as I'm a bit of a fan of the flying flat iron) were the belly tanks.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated, the belly tanks are a bit of a 'mare to fit right but that's half the fun?? The burner cans and landing gear are pretty good compared to Airfix/Heller kits, I've decided to build an A&AEE FAW7 using the Airfix FAW9 as a Base with the best of the Zts kit parts? Watch this space!!

.. . Kes

Edited by Kes
  • Like 1

ZTS Plastyk is using some of old Frog (and then Novo) moulds - among them Jevlin. You made a really nice model of this old and basic kit :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Considering the providence of the kit (I have seen one but never owned one - wrong scale for me now) I'd say that you have made a very nice job of that model....Good for you and, as you say, really tests ones modelling skills. Great paint job that really sets it off.

Hello,Kes - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your vintage 'Javelin' kit.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean patina. She Is a resplendent tribute to the type.All the best,Paul.

I'm not sure if the ZTS Javelin has much in common with the Frog/Novo kit (which isn't actually too bad). If anything they may have copied the old moulds and then done their own work to include scribed panel lines but that would be it.

Duncan B

Again, thanks for your kind comments, and yes you're right Duncan, it's similar to but certainly not the same as the Frog Javelin FAW9,

The Frog kit jet pipes are integral to the fuselage halves where as the ZTS kit has an option to build an FAW7 with it's longer rear fuselage which needs to be removed to build an FAW9

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=337&t=13030

apologies if this link isn't allowed?

. . . Kes

• Like 2

Wow that is brilliant,........I`ve always wanted to make a Javelin model wearing this scheme but I don`t have the skill or the nerve!

Great stuff,

Cheers

Tony

Be wary of the FAW7 rear end provided with this kit as it is not anywhere near the correct shape.

Duncan B

I know Duncan, if you read the opening post I said as much, there is very little on this kit which is the correct shape, it's almost a caricature!! Ha!

Which in a way was the reason I made the post, it shows old inaccurate kits can with some work give good results where as some would shun a kit for having a panel line a millimeter out?

. . . Kes

• Like 1

What the heck! It looks like a Javelin. Sometimes you have to go with what you have got. Some of us (i.e. me!) can get too wound up over accuracy.

Absolutely, clicking the 'like' button just doesn't cover it! I've always thought if you start measuring your kit for inaccuracy you 'will' find something!! So don't ! why take the fun out of the build by worrying about minutiae??

. . . Kes

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

That looks every inch a Javelin to me. A refreshing change of colour scheme as well.

Sit it next to an old Hawk version and you will be delighted how accurate yours looks, mind you, sit the Hawk kit next to a pre plastic wooden kit and then the Hawk one starts to look good. All things are relative.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 1

Fantastic job on a difficult kit, really looks the part :) Amazing to see what can be done by talented individuals as yourself on these somewhat basic/dated kits, great work 👍 

That is great!

The paint job is really nicely done. and it certainly looks like a Javelin. If the panel lines are recessed then it has to be worth a build as it must be a darn sight less effort than scribing the old Frog kit like I have just done...