Lightning T.5

I feel your pain Glenn !!

You have done a lovely job on a tricky kit. Mine is on final approach, just made a new pitot from ally tubing and need to finish a bit of detailing to the canopy and it will be RFI.

It's a game of two halves? Some parts are really nice (resin) and some parts are not. Panel lines that disappear, some are spurious as well? How did you get on with the decals. I used an Extradecal sheet for XS 458 in Dark Sea Grey. The stencil decals from the kit were lovely but difficult to move once applied.

You have a great collection of Frightenings, I hope to increase mine soon with an Airfix F6.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind remarks. In fairness most of the fight was down to me. I decided to replace the the shock cone and add some intake trunking. I had just got the Airfix Lightning f.2 so had a redundant trumpeter kit, the Trumpeter parts were not a good fit. The spine looked a little short so I added a 2mm plug. The only other difficulty was fitting the cockpit which took some sanding to fit.

Added to that the Humbrol dk.sea grey must have gone off and took ages to cure even after several coats of clear varnish decals wanted to silver.

Would I make another yes I have already bought one It is a typical short run kit and with care a decent model can be made.

timeaway2014232_zpscc778451.jpg

timeaway2014229_zpsf1c3d96e.jpg

timeaway2014230_zps578858c1.jpg

timeaway2014231_zps4f8e0bf1.jpg

Regards Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Like 2

looks great, but no what you mean ref the kit as building one at the moment and certainly is not a quick build, for a modern kit I was a bit disappointed by the left release pins that are quite large in places and trying get some parts to match up , and had to use plasticard in places for reinforcement....

but despite the issues you have done a great job...

• Like 1