Bf 110E, Eduard 1/48 <Finished>

So I thought I would pick up something nice and simple to keep me going until my SU-33 & MiG 29 arrive from China.

Browsing around the many excellent stalls at Bolton model show I decided upon this gem (£16):

24144488990_e39da73766_b.jpg

I have a 1/32 Eduard Bf109 E-4 on the bench which kind of swayed me to this kit, as I have found the Emil a nice model to build, apart from the shocking fit of the lower wing to the fuselage. ( I have had to strip the paint off the Emil as I found that Humbrol clear over Gunze Sangyo Aqueous is a non starter :weep:, I will probably paint both together to save on paint / time)

Not knowing anything about this kit, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box to find 9 sprues and a photo etch set.... So much for the quick build.

I am no expert on the Bf110 so I'm going to build OOB, there is more than enough detail in this kit. As for any inaccuracies with the kit, feel free to point them out and I may try to correct.

I think I will go with this colour scheme:

24331819192_f6a37c43c7_b.jpg

No being one to hang about, I have started on the pilots tub. The white lever is replacement after I had a dose of the death grips with my tweezers and the original is now the property of the Carpet Monster :banghead:.

24331818282_f4edef3763_b.jpg

23813303293_36d274f6db_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

WildWeasel

Finished article is here!

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 5

nice kit I built one last year. good progress as well

things to look out for.

test fit everything particularly the fit of the nose,

the Nacelles are also challenging I ended up cutting the notches off the wing and replacing with plasticard.

oh and on mine but i suspect it was mine the fit of the starboard wing had a gap but was sorted with plasticard also but stick with it they look awesome when built and very very rewarding

I've never built this 1/48 kit but I've built a few of Eduard's 1/72 versions and they are a great build.

I've had problems with Humbrol Clear over Gunze acrylics too (ended up like crazy paving) and won't touch the Humbrol stuff now.

Duncan B

Tonight's progress.

Trying to identify all the pieces that need coating RLM66 & Black...

24467475115_1b72e2d71a_b.jpg

Making up the PE harness for the front seat. I like these, although getting them on the seat without them falling to bits can be tricky.

24171878530_6c394e7672_b.jpg

The panel is made up of multiple layers of PE which gives it some depth relief.

24467475295_e4e7346e0f_b.jpg

The front office complete:

24359165402_bc371cbe15_b.jpg

23839260154_c9b24da6ac_b.jpg

I've used Humbrol Acrylic 67 for RLM 66, all other colours are Vallejo air.

I'll dull the belts down a bit once all the glue is dry.

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 8

Very nice fine work. I sold this kit last year after reading several builds; too intimidating for me, so I compensated by picking up one of the 1/72 110s. I've still got a 1/48 C-6 in the stash, though, so I'm well and truly on the fence. Your work makes me want to give it a go!

Some more progress on the rear office:

23856021684_6e0dd78739_b.jpg

The ammo drums have a PE handle on top of them which are pretty much invisible

24401819521_e8a29c6bac_b.jpg

I probably should have sanded the radio boxes flat so the decals would lie better.

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 2

My thread from the 110 Group Build a year ago talks about getting the nacelles to fit "well". That is, if you can make sense of my description. I didn't finish, naturally. Other builds in the group might be worth a review, too. I did smile when you said, "I wanted a nice easy build..."!

bob

p.s. Sorry if it seems cocky to refer you to my build!

I started building my 110C ages ago and have got to the point where I have to fit the nacelles and its ground to a halt..... I'll keep watching yours and see how you do. Excellent build so far, good luck!

My thread from the 110 Group Build a year ago talks about getting the nacelles to fit "well". That is, if you can make sense of my description. I didn't finish, naturally. Other builds in the group might be worth a review, too. I did smile when you said, "I wanted a nice easy build..."!

bob

p.s. Sorry if it seems cocky to refer you to my build!

Thanks, I had a look through some of those builds, the nacelles fit issues look fun...

So I thought I'd better check the Nacelle fit after reading some of the horror stories in the Bf 110 group build.

Dry fitted as it comes:

24423348111_63e0202f73_b.jpg

Clearly some work required to get a snug fit.

A look at the lower surface shows that the Nacelle is sat too far forward:

23878231693_1133cf6a46_b.jpg

A tickle with a sanding stick on the leading edge:

24209477210_5dc89e6f1d_b.jpg

And also the inside of the nacelle/wing fillet:

24137271229_2fedd2101d_b.jpg

24505036265_53a5e79417_b.jpg

Not perfect (it closes tighter with pressure) but nothing a wee dab of filler cannot sort.

The underside is also fairly well aligned:

24422667311_799d9a8861_b.jpg

Happily the opposite wing was much the same.

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 6

Fastened everything up:

24212295390_652e388618_b.jpg

I got a little too eager taking the seam down on the top of the port nacelle:

23879663564_d70c0289a7_b.jpg

Out with the green stuff, with Mr Surfacer 500 on the leading edge to fill any gaps:

24425489681_ae852fb5ee_b.jpg

The starboard join was pretty much bang on, with just a few small gaps to fill with Mr Surfacer:

24399559972_1a113d971c_b.jpg

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 2

Sealed the fuselage up, this proved quite tricky as there are several edges & faces that all need careful alignment in order to fit correctly.

24418264722_6635f99b95_b.jpg

In particular the cannon access panels (dark grey) needed some persuasion to fit snug.

24444197411_51c54efcd5_b.jpg

Annoyingly a couple of bits of PE popped off the panel when they collided with the levers

23898369834_9e823fc5dd_b.jpg

I took the chance to check the fit of the wings before joining the fuselage, this was fortunate as the fuselage locating slots required opening a fair bit.

• Like 2

I love Bf110s and have built several in various scales by various manufacturers but the Eduard 1/48th was a real chore and the least enjoyable of them all. Hope you keep yours going though, good luck to you.

Max

Sometimes it the small things that make you really happy.

I've been scratching my head as to what primer to use. I used Vallejo Polyurethane grey on my previous two models, it goes on well but I soon found it cannot be sanded, It also seems to leave a slight texture which I wasn't a fan of (could be my poor application).

I bought some Mr Surfacer 500 & 1200 a while ago. I've used the 500 with some success applying by brush, the 1200 has been sat on the shelf however.

So after reading good things about priming with 1200 I thought I'd give it a shot.

Out of the bottle the 1200 is clearly too thick to spray, so what to thin with?

Mr Color thinner you cry!

Well I ain't got any.

Instead I pulled a bottle of AK Xtreme cleaner of the shelf which I purchased along with a couple of their new metal paints recently. A quick sniff suggest this stuff is made from similar trickery as Mr Surfacer.

Mixed 70/30 Mr Surfacer/Cleaner and sprayed through my old Vega 2000 (which has a generous 0.73mm needle) it goes on a dream!

24531957086_d0f97aab7c_b.jpg

• Like 2

Mr Surfacer is great stuff. A top tip I have read but haven't been able to try out yet is that if the Mr S 1200 (or 1000) is still a little rough after you've sprayed it on go over it with a spray of Mr Levelling Thinners and it will level out to a smooth finish. Of course you have to have the thinners to start with but I'm sure you'll rush out to buy some now that you've discovered how well it sprays.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Mr Surfacer is great stuff. A top tip I have read but haven't been able to try out yet is that if the Mr S 1200 (or 1000) is still a little rough after you've sprayed it on go over it with a spray of Mr Levelling Thinners and it will level out to a smooth finish. Of course you have to have the thinners to start with but I'm sure you'll rush out to buy some now that you've discovered how well it sprays.

Duncan B

Yes is definitely on the shopping list!

• Like 1