1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on the interior, Tom!

Best Regards,

Jason

Many thanks, Jason - appreciated!

11 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Just when I thought your work couldn't get any more impressive. If I didn't know any better I would have said you invented a shrinking ray to make the interior out of the real article..This goes beyond a like button. We need a WOW! button.

You’re too kind. I’m not losing any sleep about making a particularly accurate interior to be honest as not much will be seen. I’ve spent countless hours in the past on other builds replicating every last detail for it to never be seen again. I’m just going for effect here and hoping it’ll look reasonably busy when you glance into the cockpit. 

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

Excellent to see this cracking work back again!!!

:worthy:

Thanks, Murdo. Despite hating making cockpit interiors, I’m fairly motivated with this build at the moment so long may it continue. 

All the best,

Tom

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Beautiful job on the cockpit so far Tom, so glad you're cracking on with it again, it's going to be something special when it's done :)

Thanks, Neil - I’m hoping to get the cockpit interior completed, blend the upper section in and then I just need to finish off the engines before adding the surface details. It’s good to be making some progress again - hopefully the motivation will last...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit bored making cockpit parts so decided to finish off the rear control surfaces. 

The rudders had been made previously but have now been riveted. The satbilisers were finished off and have both have now been primed with some of Halfords' finest grey - which it turns out you can order online and collect in store... from a safe distance of course!

49792499791_b628003ef4_z.jpgS1030272 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49791953053_09d5ba6403_z.jpgS1030275 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I still need to add the finer details such as the trim tab actuators, but this'll be done just before paint to avoid breakages.

Take care all,

Tom

• Like 29

On 4/19/2020 at 3:01 PM, Spookytooth said:

She looks so nice Tom.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks, Simon. Hopefully it’ll look even better when she’s got some proper colours on. I’m getting a bit sick if that rank yellow-brown primer!

On 4/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, limeypilot said:

Always nice to see an update on this, however small the additions.

Lovely work as usual!

Ian

Thanks, Ian. Slow and steady wins the race, as the old saying goes. Just completing relatively small jobs such as the rudders and elevators does wonders psychologically - all little jobs that needed doing and now they’re done I’m ready for the next part. I suppose I better face my demons and do a bit more to the flightdeck...

Stay safe out there,

Tom

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Hi Tom

With the Shac and the B17 have you put the BUFF to one side or are you working on that one as well? At this rate you'll need a table to yourself at the next meeting.

Ha! The B-52 is sidelined for the moment - to return at a later date. I can just about cope with a 1/48th B-17 and 1/32 Shackleton on the go - if I was to bring the BUFF back into the mix the wife would lose the plot as there'd be no room for anything else in the spare room which is where they're stored whilst I'm not working on them. I'm pushing my luck as it is!

Will look forward to seeing you at the club - hopefully soon.

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

I say stay with the Shack, Tom!

Best Regards,

Jason

I think I will for the time being, Jason - it just depends on how long the motivation lasts...

Tom

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Ha! The B-52 is sidelined for the moment - to return at a later date. I can just about cope with a 1/48th B-17 and 1/32 Shackleton on the go - if I was to bring the BUFF back into the mix the wife would lose the plot as there'd be no room for anything else in the spare room which is where they're stored whilst I'm not working on them. I'm pushing my luck as it is!

Having followed many of your large scale builds, what happens to them when your finished?

5 hours ago, Tony C said:

Having followed many of your large scale builds, what happens to them when your finished?

Hi Tony,

I luckily have a large attic which is more or less my domain. The wife doesn’t like too much model related stuff around the house, but the artic is out of sight and out of mind as far as she’s concerned so I’ve got plenty of room up there. I’ve installed some racking and they sit on there, more or less dust-free. 

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

He rents them out as AirBnB.

Oh - hadn’t thought if that. A new business venture awaits. 

• Like 2

Great to see it progressing. I know how you feel, staring at the same blank canvas for month on end can drive you round the bend! I'm enjoying some OOB builds at the moment, I should have another 3 across the line by next week, that's one more than last years total output!

18 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Great to see it progressing. I know how you feel, staring at the same blank canvas for month on end can drive you round the bend! I'm enjoying some OOB builds at the moment, I should have another 3 across the line by next week, that's one more than last years total output!

Not me, Neil, I can stare at the same semi-finished models for years on end without any problem. That, indeed, is the problem - I tend to be rather conscienceless and shameless when it comes to finishing my models. My books are another matter, but then again being contractually-obligated to finish something does make it seem a bit more urgent. Speaking of which I should get back on my Shackleton book...

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, woody37 said:

That's good advice - I've been having a play with the new Airfix 1/72nd B-25 that my brother-in-law bought me for my birthday. I'm loving it and it's so refreshing to do some shake and bake to keep the juices flowing. This Shackleton build has recently celebrated its 4th birthday - with some breaks admittedly - and the plan is to get it done before it turns 5...

Now, come on Neil - get cracking with that Halibag!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

4 years only? Try 5 for my Manchester hehe😉

By the way not having had the chance to send you the doors. Will do that in time.

Cheers

Cees

Hello Cees,

I think you're a bit further along than me - you might just pip me to the finish line.

Don't worry about the doors - my dad converted the HK Lanc to a Dambuster so has his doors sitting idle somewhere. Therefore I'll be able to use his. When we first spoke about you sending yours over, he thought he'd thrown them away.

All the best,

Tom

OK good to hear that. In that case I can do something with some of the clear fuselage halves and do a fuselage only just for fun. Your Shack actually gives me motivation

to keep the Manchester up to speed as the fuselage painting stage has commenced.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, tomprobert said:

I absolutely Detest (with a capital D) making cockpits

You'd never know it from the patient quality of the results here Tom.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:36 PM, tomprobert said:

hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Same to you. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:07 AM, Cees Broere said:

OK good to hear that. In that case I can do something with some of the clear fuselage halves and do a fuselage only just for fun. Your Shack actually gives me motivation

to keep the Manchester up to speed as the fuselage painting stage has commenced.

I popped over to LSM and had a good look - it’s great to see some paint going on. 

On 4/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, TheBaron said:

You'd never know it from the patient quality of the results here Tom.

You’re very kind - it looks ok as long as you don’t get too close. Thankfully very little of the flight deck will be visible by the time it’s all glazed so as long as I get the basics done I'll be happy :)

• Like 4

Evening guys and gals,

I've been having a go at making the bomb doors of late - my dad built the HK Models Lancaster as a Dambuster so he didn't use the bomb doors from his kit. With the Lancaster and Shackleton sharing the same ancestry, I twisted his arm and he let me have them as a starting point for the Shackleton.

The Shackleton is obviously wider than the Lanc so I have had to add some additional plastic to the Lancaster doors (the grey areas in the picture below). The bay was the same length, however, and I was pleased that my bomb bay was exactly the same length as the HK bomb doors - at least I know one part of this model is more or less spot on in terms of accuracy! With the Shackleton doors being wider, I had to remove the Lancaster door end plates and add my own from plastic card:

49822941562_5d735ae5b7_z.jpgS1030282 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The HK bomb doors have some beautiful surface detail, but sadly this has to go as the outer skins on the Shackleton's bomb doors are quite different, with lots or raised ribbing. I slathered a layer of filler on, and sanded it smooth. This also helped to blend in the new plastic card additions:

49822089438_702ddb0756_z.jpgS1030284 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A shot of Halfrords' grey primer came next:

49822940522_f0669bef33_z.jpgS1030299 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Pleased with that - a good blank surface to add the surface details.

I've been careful to get the sit of the doors correct - on the real aircraft they almost touch the ground at the rear end when open. A test fit reveals they look ok thus far:

49822941077_dc4cba2730_z.jpgS1030292 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49822089078_8270fa784b_z.jpgS1030296 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I still need to add the internal skinning and linings:

49822626051_b4db8468ab_z.jpgS1030297 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Those who have been following this build for a while may wonder why I'm doing full length doors if this is going to be an AEW2. I must confess I'm at a crossroads with this build - I love the AEW2 versions but decals are going to be a real headache. The red serials with white surrounds, squadron badges, all the stencilling, etc. mean it's going to be lot of extra time, not to mention cost, to get it to a standard I'm happy with. Therefore, I'm now considering resorting to my original plan and do this as a MR2 in the grey over white scheme. Much simpler decal-wise and very attractive - although it'll mean scratching a mid-upper turret but I'm more or less settled on a scheme such as below (used for illustrative purposes only):

49822153878_7f59bc1c26_z.jpgShackleton MR2 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've not forgotten the flightdeck and have also made the navigator's station which sits immediately behind the pilot - the map is just there for effect but it does add a nice splash of colour:

49822089808_22b526e392_z.jpgS1030301 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This was once again made from plastic card, with details added from Airscale's bezels and decals. 

I'm going to keep plodding on with the flightdeck details, and I may have a go at adding the surface details to the exterior of the bomb doors - we'll see where the mood takes me.

Stay safe all,

Tom

• Like 15

• tomprobert changed the title to 1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

I used to love standing on the QRA park at the end of the runway at Ballykelly, watching and hearing the Shacks leaving for a patrol, (only a wing span away) going off in the twilight.

They'd taxy onto the runway with the Griffons popping out orange flames. They would anchor up directly opposite me and then slowly start to move with the engines bellowing up to take off power. The noise was incredible and the exhaust colour would change from red to blue then to an incandessent purple white light as they climbed out into the last of the light from the west.

John

• Like 4

For what it's worth, Tom, the early MR.2 with the grey over white scheme and the mid-upper turret is my favourite version of the MR.2. I think that's a good choice. And just think of the fun you'll have doing those prodigious exhaust stains! And so the bomb bays were about the same length on the MR.2 and the Lancaster - I'll have to add that to my book.

Best Regards,

Jason