1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

:analintruder: As another member of the WR963 crew at Coventry, I've also joined the many followers of this build with a huge amount of interest ;)
My only concern is for our Trust Chairman and keen modeller Dave when he tries to persuade his better half that he NEEDS to try this scale out too.....lol ;)

• Like 2

Tom, I am more than happy to take the blame for this! I've actually thought about this insane project since I first saw that HK were coming out (eventually?) with the IM Lancaster in 1/32nd scale (perhaps from even before; I seem to remember some chap quite a few years ago that completely scratchbuilt a Lancaster in 1/32nd scale). I shall enjoy your build vicariously, as I could never even attempt such a project (I'll be lucky if I ever finish the Airfix Shackleton).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

:analintruder: As another member of the WR963 crew at Coventry, I've also joined the many followers of this build with a huge amount of interest ;)

My only concern is for our Trust Chairman and keen modeller Dave when he tries to persuade his better half that he NEEDS to try this scale out too.....lol ;)

Get him on the case - perhaps we could do a collaboration? :)

Tom,

I think all this baby talk at home has sent you doolally :lol:

The stores have sold out of popcorn though, so I guess I'm not the only one waiting for your next follow up!

Neil

Something along those lines, Neil! I promised myself (and the wife) that I'd only undertake smallish, straightforward builds when the little 'un arrives as modelling time may be limited... this hasn't quite gone to plan!

Now it's a case of getting as much done on the Shack before our new arrival, which is scheduled for 16th Feb.

The clock's ticking... :unsure:

Tom you're mad :mental::winkgrin: but I like it buddy, what happened to the Halifax bit to long winded. :)

Clive

Hi Clive,

The Halibag debuted a couple of years back: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964754-hp-halifax-132nd-scale-tigger-models-vacform/page-1?hl=halifax

Great effort - i'd be so tempted to build up the card shape & put it on a vac former. Do it a few times & you could sell them as kits....

I did consider that, but it means a lot more work is needed on the masters to get them heat resistant. This way, I can just slap some plastic card on the sides and she's good to go.

Plus I can only imagine how it'd get torn to shreds by 'experts' if I did ever try and sell it!! ;)

Tom

• Like 2

I've decided to do something really stupid and have a go at scratch-building one in 1/32nd scale.

Well, Tom, you said it...!

But judging by the quality of your builds to date and your tenacity, I have no doubt that it will be finished and on the table at Southern Expo in March.

Well, Tom, you said it...!

But judging by the quality of your builds to date and your tenacity, I have no doubt that it will be finished and on the table at Southern Expo in March.

Cheers, Mark - and there's nothing like laying down the gauntlet!

Tom

Great start Tom, you will have to add those rivets at this scale though

Indeed I will Kev. I'm going to keep some form of sanity and go for a riveting wheel though - I don't think I could afford resin decal rivets - there's thousands of the blighters!

This is the 'Bigmeister' Rad, rivets will form as gentle raindrops

Just because Tom wills it

Tom I love your builds, I learn new methods hourly so consider me a long term passenger

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Hi Tom I meant the 1/48 Fonderie Miniature Halifax bud :winkgrin:

Clive

Ah - apologies!

I've made a start on the interior but got so carried away with this that I've got no further with the Fonderie one. It's still very much on the bench though and will be picked up every now and again.

I must say working on this Shackelton has been far easier than the 1/48th Halifax thus far!

Tom

• Like 3

I bought mine some years ago now I've had a look inside the box then put the fuzz halves in a jig and then put the whole lot back in the box :lol: When I saw yours I dug it back out again and told myself I'm to do this kit this year as my 1/48 Lancaster is now near completion.

Clive

• Like 2

Poor Tom obviously needs help, and the best thing we can do as his friends is to be supportive of him and this insane quest of his. Very supportive, as in asking him when he's going to post some more piccies.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

Poor Tom obviously needs help, and the best thing we can do as his friends is to be supportive of him and this insane quest of his. Very supportive, as in asking him when he's going to post some more piccies.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for the concern, Jason. Your 'support' is much appreciated ;)

More piccies will be along soon - I've spent a couple of evenings 'planking' the nose with plastic card. It's been given a coat of filler and tonight I'm hoping to sand it all back and assess the situation before applying a coat of filler-primer.

Truly a master at work! I am looking forward to this quite a lot and I was also wondering about the Phantom. Glad to see both projects are alive and sort of kicking!

Many thanks - and yes the Phantom has not been forgotten about. To be honest I'm a bit like a pea on a drum when it comes to this hobby - I've always got a few projects on the go and will often jump about and build what takes my fancy at the time. This way when I get bored or bogged down with a particular build I put it down for a bit and pick up another, which I return to with renewed vigour and a fresh pair of eyes. The Phantom will no doubt get its turn again soon.

Tom

• Like 1