1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

16 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

I'd love to see the Shak and the Sunderland side by side... 

Then I'd have to ask "where will you put them when they are finished?" 

One day... that would make an impressively-sized display of submarine hunters. I can’t see my club appreciating that very much as it would mean all the display space taken up at Telford!

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Well... it's been a while. 

With a New Year's resolution not to start any more projects until the current ones are finished, the Shackleton has come out of storage for some time on the bench... well... er... the kitchen table. With the Sunderland now in the process of being painted - which I can only do at weekends due to the dark evenings - I thought I'd do some work on this again during the week. 

Shack’s back!

The airframe is structurally complete (I can't recall why I ran out of steam, actually) so I've begun the long process of scribing and adding some surface detail. The primer coats are nice and stable now so the scriber takes to this really well - so far, anyway. 

A few long evenings ahead, and I'll post some more pictures when there's more worth showing 

Tom

• Like 37

On 1/25/2022 at 11:45 AM, Lord Riot said:

That’s absolutely fantastic! The Shack is one of my favourite aircraft, and to see one this size is outstanding. 

Where will you put it once finished!? 

It’ll live in the loft with the other big ones - thankfully it’s quite spacious up there and my domain!

On 1/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I think Biggin Hill is Tom's nearest airport.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:59 PM, Spookytooth said:

I think you are right there sir.

He has got two hangars there already.

Simon

Indeed - BH is just up the road from me. Those local may have seen the new hangar going up - that’s for me!

On 1/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, 224 Peter said:

Excellent...

Hard to believe that there is a Lancaster deep inside every Shak... I'd not realised that the wingspan is so much greater. 

Indeed - or if splitting hairs is your thing every Shackleton has a Manchester in her!

Just as I was getting the wind in my sails  again with this I’ve contracted Covid and am really not feeling up to any modelling. I think I’m over the worst though so will hopefully get back to the bench soon!

Tom

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I

Just as I was getting the wind in my sails  again with this I’ve contracted Covid and am really not feeling up to any modelling. I think I’m over the worst though so will hopefully get back to the bench soon!

Hope you're feeling better soon Tom. I look forward to furthers episodes of big scale plastic mangling. Us big project folks gotsta stick together.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:42 AM, tomprobert said:

(I can't recall why I ran out of steam, actually)

I think you baulked at sticking on the forty thousand rivets to match the Frog kit.

Get well soon, it's good to see this one back in work. 

I'd model faster if I was allowed to work in the kitchen when it's cold in the manshed!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Ground control to Major Tom.  

Have you not finished this yet?? 

How many detentions do you need??

:)

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:36 AM, jenko said:

Ground control to Major Tom.  

Have you not finished this yet?? 

How many detentions do you need??

:)

Dick

Afraid not, Dick… there has been some sporadic progress but nothing of great importance to report. 

The airframe needs scribing and riveting now and I must confess I’m putting that off as it’s not one of my favourite jobs. Perhaps it’s something I can do in drips and drabs over the winter - mojo dependent. I assure you that I will finish it one day!

Tom

• Like 4

Speaking as someone who is also nuttier than a box of frogs, just for cheap thrills, i'm gonna pull my Airfix Shackleton out of the stash and fondle..um, molest...um, test fit it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, David H said:

Speaking as someone who is also nuttier than a box of frogs, just for cheap thrills, i'm gonna pull my Airfix Shackleton out of the stash and fondle..um, molest...um, test fit it.

It's a nice kit. I've built one, and half-built another. Done as research for my upcoming book on the Shackleton (true story!). Hopefully it will be published at the latest by the beginning of next year. Sure to become an instant and cherished classic. Will be read by the crowned heads of Europe. I expect a musical to be made out of it called 'Growler - the Musical', with choreography by Tommy Tune and music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

It's a nice kit. I've built one, and half-built another. Done as research for my upcoming book on the Shackleton (true story!). Hopefully it will be published at the latest by the beginning of next year. Sure to become an instant and cherished classic. Will be read by the crowned heads of Europe. I expect a musical to be made out of it called 'Growler - the Musical', with choreography by Tommy Tune and music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Regards,

Jason

Well, if Tommy Tune is doing the choreography..... i'm in!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

Hopefully it will be published at the latest by the beginning of next year.

Hmm...where have I heard that before? Oh, right, that other book. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1

Yes, hopefully that book is moving along also, Bill. I intend on sending a W/T message, or perhaps a carrier pigeon message updating all I know about the book in question to all the modellers involved. For those who wonder what in the Bloody Blue Blazes are Bill and Jason going on about, Bill has contributed to a book on modelling techniques which has been written but is now in its extended gestation period. It too shall hopefully see the light of day sooner rather than later.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1