1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

On 6/7/2020 at 7:05 PM, Gundylunch said:

Shackleton

Photo credit to:- Derek Hemingway, from Facebook

That really is a stunning scheme - sadly the wrong version for my model but if I was doing an MR3 I'd have been very tempted.

No more progress to report of late - work and life getting in the way unfortunately but what's new...

Tom

• Sad 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:05 PM, Gundylunch said:

Shackleton

Photo credit to:- Derek Hemingway, from Facebook

21 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

That really is a stunning scheme - sadly the wrong version for my model but if I was doing an MR3 I'd have been very tempted.

That's a new and interesting scheme: it looks like inside every Shackleton there was a very smart regional airliner or executive transport struggling to get out.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

No more progress to report of late - work and life getting in the way unfortunately but what's new...

Tom

You'll just have to do another one!!! :whistle:

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 12:58 AM, cngaero said:

You'll just have to do another one!!! :whistle:

That's one the of the best jokes I've heard in a long time :)

On 6/14/2020 at 2:23 AM, JosephLalor said:

Great work. The model's really coming together and is already pretty impressive.  That RAE Shackleton looks to my eye as if it's in some of the British Civil Aviation Ensign colours, and very smart with it.

Thank you - and yes I agree the scheme does look along those lines - very smart. I wonder if a decal manufacturer is considering this for the recent 1/72nd Revell MR3...?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That's one the of the best jokes I've heard in a long time :)

Thank you - and yes I agree the scheme does look along those lines - very smart. I wonder if a decal manufacturer is considering this for the recent 1/72nd Revell MR3...?

They might not need to really. I think I've just assembled everything I need for my 1/72 one from other sheets quite easily. As far as I can see it's all generic roundels and serials apart from the RAE script which I bagged off an Xtradecal Dakota sheet.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I've done any work on this, but had the wind in my sails the other day so decided to get the engine nacelles finished off. 

I made some radiators and oil coolers (got carried away and didn't photograph these) and added these to the interior of each nacelle, before adding the 3D-printed engine fronts. A quick lick of filler to blend it all in and some sanding, and job done. 

Apologies for the poor lighting in the pics - these have been taken in the kitchen on my phone and the light was fading fast - it's too cold outside to set up the camera properly (this thing is so big and can't fit anywhere else other than the patio!) and there's snow forecast here tomorrow so I took my chances...

50866191003_5e61543f52_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50866190648_32d1cc0835_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50866190898_f6a755a2be_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50867007262_b358778b42_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50867007297_2a595e5322_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50866191083_515b706435_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50866907111_78862a65a2_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I'm rapidly approaching the point where I can begin adding the surface details - I've been doing a remedial work on the wings and wing roots (as can be seen by the filler) and these areas, as well as the nacelles, will get a fine wet sanding and then a shot of primer before I can commence on a mammoth scribing session. A few more bits and bobs to attend to first though, but the main construction is more or less done now.

All the best,

Tom

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see progress on the Shacklton in the Further Adventures of Vac Building. I know what you mean about trying to photograph out in the cold.. Same here calling fo snow later in the week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

It's great to see you back on the Shack, Tom! I'm trying to finish up a book on the Shackleton. It will be interesting to see who finishes first!

Best Regards,

Jason

That, Jason, is a race I am not confident about winning!

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking good there Tom.

Are they your "Work Aprons" in the background?

Simon.

Ha ha! 

Those apron (or rather the little person who wears them) are the reason my builds have slowed to a glacial pace!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The mojo is still alive and well with the Shackleton - this week I've decided to tackle the ailerons. 

First of all, the basic shape of the aileron is cut from plastic card, and the main panel lines and trim tabs are marked on the upper and lower surfaces:

50887276666_bbf0af3737_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

With all of the parts ready, the details are then scribed and rivetted:

50887387907_95ff44daf8_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50887387882_a20ac17341_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A strong mounting solution is needed, so the hinge area was lined with Evergreen on the wing itself:

50887276671_bdb5e814fc_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Lower section attached:

50886556453_862c32edf1_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Followed by the upper:

50886556413_05df518005_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A little sanding needed on the trailing edge, but other than that, job's a good'un!

All the best, 

Tom

• Like 27

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Can't believe how big this is, looks fantastic too.  Great job on the engine fronts and ailerons,  wish my scribing and riveting was as neat.

Great work 

Chris

It is indeed a big model - which makes the scribing and riveting all the more straightforward!

19 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Who needs a stash when you have a monster project like this to keep you busy for years? Hats off, sir!

Ha! This indeed has been a long project (into its fifth year now!) but regular breaks are needed so the stash still comes in very handy! 

17 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Jeez, this just keeps getting better and better. It'll be better still when the detail starts going on. Keep up the fantastic work.

Thank you - and the final detailing is not far off now. I need to get the rest of the main construction done such as the flaps and wheel bays, and then I can begin scribing and riveting. I want to keep the handling of the model to the minimum at this point, to avoid damage to what is going to be hours of surface detailing. 

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm not sure if I've said it yet but I'm always excited when you have another post on the Shack, Tom.

That’s good to know - I’ll do my best to keep the updates coming. I just can’t promise they’ll be all that regular as I hop about like a pea on a drum!

Tom

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Amazing..... 5 years, and 30 pages.....

This is a Master Class in model building. I sure am looking forward to your updates, Tom. 

You are really teaching me a lot by sharing your build here. 

Live long and prosper.

Randy

• Like 1

Just came across this, as a new member it was started well before I joined!

My jaw dropped when I saw it, it is huge!

And to think I’m nervous about scratch building some dollies to carry external fuel tanks in 1/48 scale.

Am in total awe and shall read this thread from the start.

It’s just wonderful that you’re sharing your experience of building this. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 2:31 PM, SallysDad said:

Amazing..... 5 years, and 30 pages.....

This is a Master Class in model building. I sure am looking forward to your updates, Tom. 

You are really teaching me a lot by sharing your build here. 

Live long and prosper.

Randy

I wouldn't say it's a masterclass in any way, shape or form - more like a reasonably experienced vac from builder doing something a rather silly! And yes - it's been on the go for a while, albeit with large breaks in between intermitted bursts of activity. The trouble is I keep getting side tracked by other projects, but this will have its turn on the bench again soon.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Herrick said:

Just came across this, as a new member it was started well before I joined!

My jaw dropped when I saw it, it is huge!

And to think I’m nervous about scratch building some dollies to carry external fuel tanks in 1/48 scale.

Am in total awe and shall read this thread from the start.

It’s just wonderful that you’re sharing your experience of building this. Thank you!

The frightening thing is I started this just before my first daughter was born - she's nearly finished her first year of primary school!

I really need to get going on it again at some point - I've just the 'small' issue of a 1/48th B-52 and 1/32nd Sunderland getting in the way at the moment, as well as a second daughter and lots of work conspiring to keep my modelling time to the minimum. With projects like these you often need a day or two at the bench before seeing any progress, and therefore momentum and mojo can take a battering. However, being a teacher there's a long summer holiday ahead...

Thanks for stopping by, chaps!

Tom

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...