1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

On 5/5/2020 at 7:31 PM, Spec7 said:

Yes sorry it was north weald fighter meet, must have been 1990 as i found a you tube video of the 1991 display there and it landed, sure it didn't when i saw it.

Picture of said Shackleton at North Weald 1991 - my pic

IMG_0002 (3)

• Like 5

I am sure that the BBMF Lancaster and and an AEW Shack flew together at either a Mildenhall or Duxford show I went to on the 80s.  Definitely saw Shacks flying in the late 70s / 80s airshows

1 hour ago, bar side said:

I am sure that the BBMF Lancaster and and an AEW Shack flew together at either a Mildenhall or Duxford show I went to on the 80s.  Definitely saw Shacks flying in the late 70s / 80s airshows

I think I’m right in saying in days gone by BBMF Lancaster pilots were drawn from the Shackleton pool - for obvious reasons.  

3 hours ago, Gundylunch said:

Picture of said Shackleton at North Weald 1991 - my pic

IMG_0002 (3)

That’ll be WR963 - now residing at Coventry and a return to flight project. Great shot by the way!

• Like 1

Still plodding on with the making of interior parts...

The basics of the pilots' seats is now done (plasticcard and Milliput) - still some additional details to add such as the trim wheels etc. but you get the idea:

49875728482_9c015b1063_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've also made the two control columns - I used the part in the HK Lancaster kit as a guide as they're more or less identical in the Shackleton MR2. An old paperclip, some Tamiya tape and various bits of Evergreen was the order of the day here:

49875728677_c074fb9319_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll get a splash of paint on these later.

Regards to all,

Tom

• Like 16

Were they the same left and right or mirrored? Most controls that I've seen are mirrored for the right seat, so the little button on the left angle would be on the right.

Not that it's going to be too visible, but thought I'd check!

Ian

• Like 1

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Were they the same left and right or mirrored? Most controls that I've seen are mirrored for the right seat, so the little button on the left angle would be on the right.

Not that it's going to be too visible, but thought I'd check!

Ian

I'd not considered that to be honest, Ian - I'd just seen a single control column and yoke and taken it from there. Too late now anyway as I painted them last night, and as you say not much will be seen. I won't tell anyone if you don't... :)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

For a man that hates doing cockpits you are  doing a lovely job!

The seats with one arm  remind me of those Chinese waving cats

Regards,

Adrian

Ha! I don't know whether to laugh or be offended by that, Adrian!! :)

I can clearly see the resemblance though..!

• Haha 1

God, that must gave been confusing as anything for the pilots - I sincerely hope the buttons didn’t do anything too drastic, because the potential for jettisoning the entire bomb load when you meant to re-light the tea boiler is huge...

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

11 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I sincerely hope the buttons didn’t do anything too drastic, because the potential for jettisoning the entire bomb load when you meant to re-light the tea boiler is huge...

On Phase III MR.2s and 3s, nothing too drastic, just the nuclear (N) release button...

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

Ah, British engineering! Is it true that at engineering schools around the world, they have a separate department for British Engineering?

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Actually, I love the Shackleton, and the quirks of British aircraft engineering are a source of constant interest (and surprise).

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Ah, British engineering! Is it true that at engineering schools around the world, they have a separate department for British Engineering?

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Actually, I love the Shackleton, and the quirks of British aircraft engineering are a source of constant interest (and surprise).

Why make things easy when you can do it the British way, it is after all, a national obsession to confuse the hell out of the rest of the World!

Rule Britannia everyone 🇬🇧

• Haha 7

It's pretty much standard as far as I know. The reason being that the "inner" hand will work the throttles etc while the "outer" hand is used to fly the aircraft/transmit on the radio etc. It really doesn't cause any confusion because you only have the one hand on the yoke - the "outer" one!

Ian

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

the "inner" hand will work the throttles etc while the "outer" hand is used to fly the aircraft/transmit on the radio etc.

Trying that in my world would completely blow my mind.🤯 Both hands, both feet, blind faith, prayer...

On 5/10/2020 at 10:16 AM, tomprobert said:

An old paperclip, some Tamiya tape and various bits of Evergreen was the order of the day here

Brilliant. Proper modelling there, Tom!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It's pretty much standard as far as I know. The reason being that the "inner" hand will work the throttles etc while the "outer" hand is used to fly the aircraft/transmit on the radio etc. It really doesn't cause any confusion because you only have the one hand on the yoke - the "outer" one!

Ian

I’m so used to using all 4 limbs to fly that I tend to forget about not having duplicated collectives / throttles for the LHS.  Still plenty of scope for a fleeting visit by Flt Lt Cock-Up, though

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tony C said:

Is it true that at engineering schools around the world, they have a separate department for British Engineering?

I don’t know about that but Alexi Sayle does a hilarious routine about it. Now if only I could find the clip.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

I keep telling the missus it’s inches, not centimetres 😂

• Haha 1

Good stuff chaps - love the banter :)

I've now painted the seats and control columns:

49888006901_37e886f55c_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Seatbelts are some left over etch from something or other - not sure what but they're 1/32nd scale and do the job.

This gives some idea of the position in the cockpit:

49888317727_58197164d7_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And now the pilots' seats and control columns go into the box of tricks with the other interior parts already made ready for proper installation when the time comes:

49887490043_214437852e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Only the throttle boxes and overhead panel to go now. Happy days.

Night all,

Tom

• Like 19

Brilliant work as always, Thomas! We'll try and keep the banter reasonably intelligible, and not stray too far into Monty Python territory - no 'monkeys on the roof dropping tenpennies into the custard' and all that.

Best Regards,

Jason

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant work as always, Thomas! We'll try and keep the banter reasonably intelligible, and not stray too far into Monty Python territory - no 'monkeys on the roof dropping tenpennies into the custard' and all that.

Best Regards,

Jason

Glad to hear it - I am teacher as you know, so I will not hesitate to discipline those who become a little rowdy :)

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 1:43 PM, Max Headroom said:

Attention in class. Yes you there at the back. Otherwise Mr Probert will make you build Starfix ‘Spitfires’ without filler and files!

Sweet Jesus, man! I may be towards the stricter end of the teacher-scale, but that’s just inhumane!

In other news... I’ve got all of the cockpit interior installed this evening and thankfully it’s all fitted like a glove. Too dark for pictures tonight, but hopefully I’ll get some decent shots over the weekend. 

Stay safe all,

Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 1