1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

That is looking good Tom.

I'm hoping to get down for Southern EXPO again despite it being a million miles away... Will she be on show? :)

I'll bring it along as a work in progress... It'll be good to catch up. I'm not sure if I'll be there for both days with the new baby, but will do my best to get a weekend pass from the wife...

Of course, (congrats again btw!) I'll only be at SExpo on the Sunday, so will see you then if you are there :)

Hopefully I'll catch you there - we'll just have to see how things pan out.

Fine work Tom.

Congratulations on your baby Imogen....

Simon.

Thanks, Simon.

I wanted to call her Imogen 'Shackelton' Probert but the wife had other ideas. Quite unreasonable I think you'll agree :)

Tom

Congratulations on the new arrival!

As for names, Shackleton is preferable to Globemaster III.....!

As for the model, you make it look like a breeze although I'm sure that there are many hours of graft involved. Your ingenuity and refusal to be daunted is admirable and the result I have no doubt will be another masterpiece.

How much would it cost to festoon it with Archer's Rivets???

Trevor

Congratulations on the new arrival!

As for names, Shackleton is preferable to Globemaster III.....!

As for the model, you make it look like a breeze although I'm sure that there are many hours of graft involved. Your ingenuity and refusal to be daunted is admirable and the result I have no doubt will be another masterpiece.

How much would it cost to festoon it with Archer's Rivets???

Trevor

It's 1/35, he can make rivets individualy.
  • Like 1

Regarding the rivets - I think I'm just going to use my Trumpeter riveting wheel to be honest.

I'd need to take out a mortgage go finance enough Archer rivets to cover this size of model!

Tom

• Like 3

Happy birthday to Imogen Tom! I know the feeling, my little guy is only 7 months old and it takes most of your time. I hope you manage to press on with this build because I think we're all looking forward to seeing more!

Edited by TGA
  • Like 1

Happy birthday to Imogen Tom! I know the feeling, my little guy is only 7 months old and it takes most of your time. I hope you manage to press on with this build because I think we're all looking forward to seeing more!

Many thanks, and fear not I'll sneak a few hours in here and there!

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I've a little more progress to report on the Shackleton project, and have had some time at the bench despite my new daughter's best efforts to keep me away...

I've been working on the extreme rear of the fuselage, as I'd got as far as making the skins to the rear of the bomb bay, but not a lot further. Progress was slower for the rear section, as being quite different to the Lancaster in this area, I've had very little of the Lancaster kit that was of use. However, there were a few bits here and there that with very careful planning and cutting to shape I was able to incorporate. Despite this, there was a whole lot of filling gaps with regular plastic card, often heat shaped in hot water, and then plenty of subsequent blending in with filler. Thankfully I remembered to build the tail wheel bay at this point as this would have been a right pain to add later!

25982545956_d0c9d110b3_c.jpg

You can see how the filler hides a multitude of sins... P38... a modeller's best friend!

25379688073_3130b66b6f_c.jpg

So now the basic outline (apart from the flightdeck area) is about done. There's still a little fettling to be done at the extreme rear as I'm not totally happy with the shape, but this area has to be cut off anyway as I need to add some detail to the extreme tail section such as the internal ribbing and the observers cushions and such-like. Therefore, a little more shaping and fine tuning can take place when I reattach the tail section.

From the rear:

25982698546_b0ddd8ffeb_c.jpg

25887716332_87fa47066b_c.jpg

And from the front:

25375699664_8dc1d0bc71_c.jpg

26008376955_5f1dbd2f53_c.jpg

Hopefully it'll all look a little more uniform with some primer on - that'll be the job over the next few days.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 18

Welcome back Tom. Excellent work as always

Trevor

Cheers, Trevor.

It'll keep ticking along in the background, and with the school Easter holidays here I'm hoping to get a fair bit done.

Have got a good coat of filler primer on this evening so that'll get a good rub down tomorrow and then I'll be able to assess how it's looking.

Tom

I've sprayed and initial coat of Halfords' filler primer onto the fuselage; this enables me to check for any errors or blemishes more easily than when it is in a mish-mash of plastic card and filler, and it also shows off the shape of the model more easily as it's all one uniform colour.

Considering the amount of different card panels and bits of the Lancaster I've cobbled together and added, it's gone remarkably well, even if I do say so myself! However, as expected there are a few areas that showed up as needing some additional work, which have been addressed with my trusty P38 filler.

Forward section:

25756588810_1533c20c29_c.jpg

The rear section had a dip on the left side which needed remedying, so I've added some P38 here which will be blended in and hopefully bring it level:

25756589050_f6a079ac27_c.jpg

So... where's the sandpaper?

Tom

• Like 20

Truly inspiring work, Tom! Mind you, it won't inspire me to ever undertake anything so breathtakingly ambitious; I tend more towards the breathtakingly easy projects.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Truly inspiring work, Tom! Mind you, it won't inspire me to ever undertake anything so breathtakingly ambitious; I'm tend more towards the breathtakingly easy projects.

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks, Jason.

I was a little worried that I was being too ambitious and it may have been beyond me. I don't want to tempt fate, but it's going smoothly so far. The fuselage is naturally the most tricky part, and with this more or less done I'm brimming with confidence.

However, these engine nacelles are going to be a lot of fun, not to mention the cockpit windows.

Sandpaper is ... my life. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Every good project requires tons of sandpaper, Bill, we both know that..!

Tom

• Like 1

A very productive last couple of days...

The fuselage has had some further fettling with more filling and sanding, and has also had a few coats of filler primer with some sanding in between each coat to rid the surface of any minor imperfections.

So, here's where the project stands now:

25979317582_269eca855e_c.jpg

25467080214_fb13f6c257_c.jpg

26045915566_bff67b1ba0_c.jpg

26005502681_e2904682aa_c.jpg

25469245023_7fc75dabea_c.jpg

25798982400_3e016f818f_c.jpg

25979309752_71656399a7_c.jpg

25467082854_0ab4d4ae4c_c.jpg

So I'm now at a stage where I can start to think about the wings and stabilisers - I think I'm going to have a crack at the inner wing sections initially as these, being identical to the Lancaster, mean it'll be a nice and simple job of using the ID Models parts... in theory, anyway.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 21

Well Tom that dent buffed out a treat didnt it, really a case of P38 and T-cut just as they say about a decent car crash

:)

Which this Shack isn't, I'm really looking forward to the wings being done

Usual Tom P work I'd say then

As the rest of us say

Magic