1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

This is looking great Tom.

You have given me some great tips already on this project for a scratch build I am doing elsewhere here on BM, it has some awkward curves around its back side that need sorting (the tail end of a ship I am on about!), and it looks like this planking method will be the way to go.

I am always really impressed with the cleanliness of your builds, they always look as good as injection moulded parts (or better!).

Looking forward to seeing more.

Ray

Always glad to pass on some tips, Ray! It's the least I can do to be fair, considering the amount of ideas I steal from others on here :)

Great work, Tom! The way you've used part of the Lancaster fuselage sides for the Shackleton makes me wonder if Avro did something like this with the full-sized version. Probably - no use reinventing the wheel. Use what you can from the old design - I've always wondered what Avro did reuse from the Lincoln other than the obvious, such as the wings and the landing gear.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

The Lancaster and Lincoln shared an identical centre-section, which was then carried over to the Shackleton, albeit after it was widened to make the interior more comfortable for her multiple crew members on the long, over-water sorties. The bomb bay itself is also identical in length to the Lancaster/Lincoln, but of course is wider to match the new fuselage. So, in short, the Lancaster lived on in the Shackleton for 50-odd years after its first flight.

You can also trace the stabilisers and fins back, too. In fact, they are late-mark Manchester items, just with increased chord. The inner wing section is identical, too.

Also, studying the cockpit of the Shackleton MkI and IIs also reveals the side windows and forward quarter sections of the Shackleton glazing is also identical to the Manchester, Lancaster and Lincoln, albeit fared differently into the fuselage.

That Chadwick design certainly had some staying power - I wonder if he had envisaged the basic design still being in front-line service in the early 1990's?

• Like 1

Tom, I've actually checked my Airfix Shackleton parts against some Lancaster parts and seen some of the similarities beyond just the wings and landing gear, such as the identical span on the stabilisers. I hadn't noticed some of the similarities on the fuselage itself, but I did notice that the elevators stayed almost the same from the late Manchester (Manchester IA) all the way through the Shackleton MR.3. A design with great staying power indeed. I don't suspect that when Mr. Chadwick designed the Manchester, and certainly after the short career of same, that he knew the basic design (or parts of it anyway) would last so long.

Regards,

Jason

Superb stuff, Tom. I believe it really will be ready for Southern Expo!

I'd love it to be, Mark, but considering I've barely had time to think about modelling let alone do any this week might put a rather large spanner in the works.

I'll certainly bring it along in whatever state it's in at the time though.

I love builds like these! You make me want to have a go at one myself!!

Go for it! There's nothing to lose! Apart from your sanity of course! ;)

What's your next challenge? 1:32 B36 or a B52?

I vote for the 1/32nd scale B-36!

Regards,

Jason

1/32nd B-36 or B-52? Now which one would I prefer living in the most? Because I sure would be living in it if I dared start one of those. My wife is understanding, but not that understanding!

Nah (he said competitively) I want to see the fully wrinkly Buff after Tom has brought it crashing to the (figurative) ground

Buff in immense please Tom

:thumbsup2:

A 1/48th Buff is certainly on the "I want" list; Sanger's is due for release imminently so it may be winging its way to me sooner rather than later...

I'm fairly sure I say exactly the same thing every time you start a build: MADNESS! I love it! This is shaping up brilliantly. Bravo, Tom! Another follower here in NZ.

Thank you - and you're welcome to join the party!

Tom

• Like 1

Great job so far! Might I vote for a Vulcan :D OR TSR 2!!! :D :D :D or perhaps if a smaller project is on the cards- an English Electric Lightning (a T variant maybe) or a Fairey Delta 2?

Keep up the superb work! :)

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

I might just do so Tom, was thinking something along the line of a big HP Victor..... I shall pay close attention to your build and steal as many techniques as I can manage!!!

I'd say go for it; a Victor would be quite something in 1/32nd scale. I'd hate to tackle that wing though - but I suppose a balsa core might be an option, then skinned in plastic card?

As I said previously, the only thing at stake is one's pride ;)

Tom are you going to have this ready for southern EXPO.

Clive

Southern Expo 2020? :rolleyes:

I'll bring it along this year, but I can assure you it won't be anywhere near finished...

Some people seem to have more than their fair share of talent. This will be awesome

You're very kind, but I can assure you it's nothing to do with talent, and far more to do with madness :)

In all seriousness, what I'm trying to do is not out of the skill set of most experienced modellers - it just takes a bit of thinking outside the box and being willing to accept that from time to time things will fall flat on their faces... which inevitably at some point in builds like this they most certainly will. It's overcoming those challenges that's the fun - for me anyway!

No updates I'm afraid at the moment - haven't been at the bench at all this week. Too much work on... I think I need to retire...

Tom

• Like 1

I'd say go for it; a Victor would be quite something in 1/32nd scale. I'd hate to tackle that wing though - but I suppose a balsa core might be an option, then skinned in plastic card?

Or maybe skinning it in metal, like I'm planning on doing with my P-61 :)

Tom

A little more done to the Shackleton to update you on.

I've grafted the nose section to the forward cockpit bulkhead, and have used some more Lancaster fuselage to make a start on the cockpit sidewalls. Whilst doing this, I have cut out the aperture for the cockpit windscreen and the transparent sections, which was done by carefully following the scaled up plans I have:

24759898251_e89bac52d5_c.jpg

The sidewalls did need a bit of blending with filler but nothing too major.

24827097186_fd77a9a156_c.jpg

The actual flight deck itself hasn't been started yet, but you can see the area where the windscreen will sit more clearly here:

24853353065_b8932e98c4_c.jpg

I've also made a start on the upper flight deck area which is again Lancaster fuselage - I've removed the side windows and astrodome opening but haven't got around to any of the cockpit windows themselves yet; this will come at a later stage when I've had more time to think and plan as to how I'll get this done:

24225209214_3e310b69c9_c.jpg

When it's plugged into the fuselage the shape starts to take on the real thing, which is an added bonus:

24827096606_90a31837cf_c.jpg

24759911401_ee150fd755_c.jpg

Obviously there's still a huge amount to do here but it's a start.

With the nose section and sidewalls blended in nicely, these sections have had a coat of filler primer:

24485760989_8f95957d99_c.jpg

24226524633_b51763e068_c.jpg

24485757959_7641453738_c.jpg

With the roof section applied:

24226528193_6583a6b781_c.jpg

24485764469_7d8339d9fc_c.jpg

For a bit of 'light relief' I've also been beavering away with the new-tool Airfix 1/72nd DC-3 - also serves as a good size comparison:

24759899831_b1d23cbacd_c.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 18