1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

Dragging this thread up from the distant past - has it really been nearly a year and a half since I did anything to this?! :o

No progress as such, but I did manage to score some very useful parts for this project from the good folks at HK Models whilst at Telford... a full set of their Lancaster landing gear legs and struts which has given me a bit of nudge in this model's direction - thanks @Cees Broere!

Now it's a case of digging out the reference books again and seeing how the Lanc/Shackleton set up differed...

Tom

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

Dragging this thread up from the distant past - has it really been nearly a year and a half since I did anything to this?! :o

No progress as such, but I did manage to score some very useful parts for this project from the good folks at HK Models whilst at Telford... a full set of their Lancaster landing gear legs and struts which has given me a bit of nudge in this model's direction - thanks @Cees Broere!

Now it's a case of digging out the reference books again and seeing how the Lanc/Shackleton set up differed...

Tom

Go for it Tom👍

cheers, Jan

From working on WL795 years ago I seem to recall that the undercarriage legs were strengthened and so are thicker than Lancaster, but also that they are shorter in length. 

Not sure about the retraction struts but they do look remarkably similar.

Certainly worth checking out properly and maybe asking @richw_82 about specifics and maybe even part numbers etc.

These might help with detail, I don't think the retraction struts are normally at that angle to the main legs though.

49241969268_402e6d3728_b.jpg

Shackleton MR.2 main undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

49242657157_ee46d55f32_b.jpg

Shackleton MR.2 main undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 7

@71chally those pictures are fantastic - thank you! 

Are the main struts white? I can’t decide whether to go white or light grey - it seems at least some the AEW crates have grey legs..?

Tom

Not great shots, but gives you an idea.  Somewhere I have shots with the doors etc removed.

26043940578_187ef678bd_b.jpg

Shackleton AEW.2 WL756 8 sqn by James Thomas, on Flickr

25433507181_f7ee519f1d_b.jpg

Shackleton AEW.2 WL747 25 May 91 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Notice those two Shacks were at opposite ends of the paint and weathering spectrum!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

Yes. When was that first piccie taken? I thought the AEW.2s were generally kept in pretty good nick (of especial interest to me now as I'm currently writing a book on the old Growler).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Generally the AEWs were kept in really good order and looked like WL747, WL756 for some reason looked really tatty, I think it must have escaped a repaint in the early '80s.

The shot above was taken in June 1991 at St Mawgan' after completing it's last flight.

• Like 1

WL756 looks like some of the MR.2s near the end of their service lives in Singapore in the late 1960s/early 1970s, when I suppose it wasn't considered high on the list to repaint an aeroplane that was about to go out of service.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

I remember having to scratch build the legs when I converted the 'only game in town' Frog kit back in the early eighties because my potentially available Lancaster legs were seen to be way too skinny.

Tom it is great news that you are looking to bring the thread back to life, I/we love the Shackleton and to have it Proberted is a marvellous thing for us.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Tom it is great news that you are looking to bring the thread back to life, I/we love the Shackleton and to have it Proberted is a marvellous thing for us.

Wot William said.  

One of my Bulldog instructors at Topcliffe was a Shackleton driver; RNEFTS was a joint RAF-RN squadron, so I flew at various times with men who’d flown front line Shack, Wasp, Phantom (RN!), Buccaneer, Hunter, Sea Vixen, Wessex, Canberra, Sea King, Lightning, Scimitar, Hawk, Gannet, Swift & Lynx. Is it any wonder that we held our instructors in considerable awe?  [Not sure whether we had a Jaguar geezer; sorry, @Fritag - clearly far too elevated for the likes of the Bullfrog].

I too have a huge soft spot for the old Growler; quintessentially British. Basically a bodge - 50-60s MPA descended from bomber legend, hastily fitted with ex-Gannet AEW radar which itself had ancestry directly traceable to anti-kamikaze Pacific Fleet radar picket experiments...  But it worked, and we named them after beloved children’s TV characters and loved them.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I remember having to scratch build the legs when I converted the 'only game in town' Frog kit back in the early eighties because my potentially available Lancaster legs were seen to be way too skinny.

The HK Lancaster legs don't look too bad actually, and I think the majority will be able to be used for the Shackleton's undercart. They may be a little slim but I'm keen to use what I can as the details will be far better than anything I can scratch-build. I'll certainly use the retraction struts, and if the legs themselves prove to be too skinny they shouldn't be the hardest thing to make. We'll see.

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wot William said.  

One of my Bulldog instructors at Topcliffe was a Shackleton driver; RNEFTS was a joint RAF-RN squadron, so I flew at various times with men who’d flown front line Shack, Wasp, Phantom (RN!), Buccaneer, Hunter, Sea Vixen, Wessex, Canberra, Sea King, Lightning, Scimitar, Hawk, Gannet, Swift & Lynx. Is it any wonder that we held our instructors in considerable awe?  [Not sure whether we had a Jaguar geezer; sorry, @Fritag - clearly far too elevated for the likes of the Bullfrog].

I too have a huge soft spot for the old Growler; quintessentially British. Basically a bodge - 50-60s MPA descended from bomber legend, hastily fitted with ex-Gannet AEW radar which itself had ancestry directly traceable to anti-kamikaze Pacific Fleet radar picket experiments...  But it worked, and we named them after beloved children’s TV characters and loved them.

I still find it amazing that the centre-section on the Shackleton began life as a late 1930's design in the form of the Avro Manchester - and flew into the 1990's. Only in Britain... The longevity of the design is a real testament to the skill of Mr Chadwick - what a legend!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Afternoon all :)

It's been a while since I've done anything on this long-term build, but decided to get it back out for a bit of TLC and decided to jump straight back in and tackle something that I'd been needing to correct...

When building the fuselage what seems like years ago I had somehow managed to make the extreme rear fuselage (where the rear observation glazing mates) completely the wrong shape. In my example, you can see I've made the fuselage sides curved, and the upper and lower fuselage too curved as well:

49701737592_1344fd897a_z.jpgIMG_1859 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...when compared to the real thing - taken at the Charlwood museum - which shows flat sides and top:

49700892953_c1c9376854_z.jpgTail Glazing by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

So, using some better plans as well as the good old Mk1 eyeball, I made a new shape for the rear fuselage:

49701737387_14fc4e8a31_z.jpgIMG_1861 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...which when offered up already improves the look:

49701737467_f2c6c51163_z.jpgIMG_1860 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The difference has now been built up with filler, and slowly a much better-shaped rear fuselage is beginning to emerge:

49700892408_a96659cf5f_z.jpgIMG_1868 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Still plenty of shaping and blending to do, but I'm much happier with this now.

I've also began inserting the framing into the cockpit as these will be needed to support the glazing when the time comes:

49700892488_c5cc2a14e9_z.jpgIMG_1867 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I'm enjoying being back on this - let's see how long the motivation lasts!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 33

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

Nice catch on the tail cone, Tom! I hadn't noticed that before.

Best Regards,

Jason

It was only when I crawled all over the one at Charlwood (a great little museum right next to Gatwick Airport) that I realised my error.

Silly really, looking back, but sometimes you get so engrossed in trying to capture some shapes you forget others. 

10 hours ago, John_W said:

Nice to see you back. When you look at the real tailcone you can see that once upon a time there was a Lancaster turret in the design.

Thanks, John. Indeed - lots of similarities between the two. Being  a longer fuselage on the Shackleton there’s more of a taper but the Lancaster ancestry is there for all too see.  

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Really nice catch on the tail section Tom, PHEW!

Indeed! I’d have been kicking myself if I hadn’t corrected now as the tail cone would have been totally misshaped when I came to make and add that - and that would have likely been after paint so timing is everything!

Tom

• Like 4

I've been steadily shaping the rear end today - quite pleased with the new look and I think a big improvement over my original effort:

49705174503_ce0059ea79_z.jpgS1030208 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've also begun making the master mold for the plexiglass tail cone - this will be bulked out and shaped with Milliput in due course:

49705709686_9e10348456_z.jpgS1030200 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Good to be making some progress on this again :)

Take care all,

Tom

• Like 17

Good indeed to see you working on the Shack again, Tom! Don't forget about the bulge under the tail cone for the retractable aft camera housing (you probably already know about this, but as I'm writing a book about the Shackleton at the moment, I fancy I'm the world's expert on the Shackleton, so I have to take every opportunity to show off my expertise!).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1