1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

I wish I was fighting fit at the moment, you are seriously making me want to get that Mars done but I can't now for a bit. Looking forward to seeing this at MK if I can get there... Car offically broke today on route to Cosford (...got there though :) ).

Hopefully your health will improve and you can get back to it. I can think of better medicines than a Combat Models Martin Mars, though!

That's bad news about the car...hopefully it's something that can be fixed?

I've made a start on the stabilisers, which will be based on the ID Models Lancaster parts:

26020638090_46e8077620_c.jpg

The later model Manchesters, Lancaster, Lincoln and Shackleton all share the same span, but the chord was increased on the Shackleton. Here you can see how the chord needs to be widened with the Lancaster parts being placed on the Shackleton plans. I've also removed the elevators as these are a little basic in shape and I will make my own at a later date:

25690769083_6c5e5a25e8_c.jpg

So the solution is to cut the stabilisers down their length:

25690768603_8d0f228ff3_c.jpg

And add a plastic card insert to widen them to the correct chord:

26020638560_d71a455980_c.jpg

Now that's sorted, it'll be a case of filling the gap and constructing the stabilisers in readiness for adding to the rear fuselage...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 13

It isn't just the skill of your working (and working out) that pleases the eye Tom

It's the all-out balls of the things you do

That tailplane/stab is going to be superb wouldn't be surprised if your method wasn't A V Roe's too

magic :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

It isn't just the skill of your working (and working out) that pleases the eye Tom

It's the all-out balls of the things you do

That tailplane/stab is going to be superb wouldn't be surprised if your method wasn't A V Roe's too

magic :thumbsup2:

Many thanks - and yes I imagine the design team did exactly that. It's probably a lot more straightforward to do in miniature form though :)

Tom

• Like 2

Evening all,

Time for another update for you - it's the last day of my Easter holidays and I return to work tomorrow so things may well slow a little for a while, but I've made the most of the few days of freedom...

I've been working on the stabilisers and after the last update I sparred them internally and glued them together. The area where I'd increased the chord was filled with plastic card to bring the gap up to the level of the rest of the aerofoil, and this was then filled and sanded smooth to blend everything in. Lastly, I made some hinges for the elevators from Evergreen plastic strip.

It was then a case of consulting the plans carefully to establish where the stabilisers are situated, and this was a case of measure thrice, cut once, before I inserted a spar from thick left over sprue:

26374586995_f20541baab_c.jpg

The completed stabilisers were then test-fitted:

26282246962_f5d6e996af_c.jpg

And with some careful trimming the fit is quite satisfactory - only a quick lick of filler will be required:

26374585825_b6624ec894_c.jpg

On the underside you can also see where I've done a little re-shaping of the underside as I wasn't happy with the shape:

26282248782_971cc08156_c.jpg

I've also started adding the upper escape hatches on the top of the fuselage:

26348690576_07d6242a81_c.jpg

As well as making the lower radome aperture on the lower fuselage behind the bomb bay:

26308376811_ecc74d8a5d_c.jpg

Speaking of radomes - this chunk of resin has arrived:

26101751730_79be87ef9e_c.jpg

Yup... I'm going to complete this project as an AEW.2, my favourite of the breed.

So, with the elevators added it's certainly starting to look like a Shackleton... which is a bonus I suppose

26101754050_b01bd956bb_c.jpg

I'm off to fill the stabiliser to fuselage join now, so cheerio for now.

Tom

• Like 21

I have no doubt that you are putting a shed-load of effort into this, but you make it look as if it is so easy!

This is shaping up to be another masterclass in sheer determination and problem solving.

To quote the Plusnet ad, I might as well become a full time off grid spoon whittler!

Trevor

• Like 1

some idea of the size of it would be great. It must be absolutely mahoosive!!

It is pretty large - a quick measure on length this morning (minus the tail transparency) is 31" (or 79cm in new money)

I have no doubt that you are putting a shed-load of effort into this, but you make it look as if it is so easy!

This is shaping up to be another masterclass in sheer determination and problem solving.

To quote the Plusnet ad, I might as well become a full time off grid spoon whittler!

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor - I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's not as difficult as I had envisaged. All's gone to plan so far, but the outer wings and engines are still to be done, and the cockpit is going to cause some serious headaches... but these things are sent to try us...

More plastic sorcery from Tom - amazing stuff!

Regards,

Jason

Well that's me joining Trevor out there in the woods :(

Really is looking marvellous Tom thanks for letting us come along

Thanks, Chaps. Glad you're enjoying the ride!

Looking very good, hope you bring it to Milton Keynes

I'll do my best, Kev. Looking forward to seeing you there...

Something had been bugging me about the overall look of the fuselage, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The shape is right (according to the plans anyway) but something looked out. Then it occurred to me what I'd done whilst looking at pictures of the real AEW2s... the windows I'd made in the fuselage were too high and out of position... it was throwing the whole look of the fuselage. So, it was out with some plastic card last night, and I filled in the original windows and will now make new ones, which will hopefully solve the problem. More updates soon...

As explained above, I've corrected the errors I made with the fuselage windows - I am not entirely sure how I managed to get the positioning so far out as I'm a firm believer in 'measure thrice, cut once', but clearly something went very wrong when I cut these on the fuselage panels a while back.

The fix was fairly simple though - plastic card blanks were added to the incorrectly positioned windows, and then new ones were cut, after more careful measuring. The original windows and now been filled and sanded, ready for some primer to hide my sins:

25874647854_ddfa3d3dcd_c.jpg

26387206662_0980ec8f99_c.jpg

Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

Tom

• Like 9

I took advantage of some sunshine this afternoon and shot some primer over the amended windows and stabilisers. No problems to report...

26418831221_9511c610a3_c.jpg

26212102130_2f8c36f5f8_c.jpg

26392638942_18e167e0d7_c.jpg

The repositioned windows have cured the concerns I had with the fuselage - at least to my eyes, anyway:

26392638272_6a29ca679e_c.jpg

26418828711_2c0bd9f165_c.jpg

May well have a bash at the fins next.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 10

I think I can understand why you made the mistake with the windows, as having a new baby in the house would be a very good excuse

Ha ha! Sleep deprivation can do strange things, Kev :rolleyes:

'Laid back attitude.' Yes, that seems to be Tom's attitude: 'Whilst I'm waiting for the stabilisers to dry, I think I'll scratchbuild a 1/24th scale Sopwith Tabloid, and I might have time to finishing putting the wings on the 1/72nd scale Tarrant Tabor'.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

"May well have a bash at the fins next"!

I just love your laid back attitude to this build!!!!

I'd be on heavy medication by now ;)

Trevor the awed

Thanks, Trevor. There's no point in getting stressed about these things... it spoils the fun... :)

Tom, how did you blend the stabiliser to the fuselage? If I was to try that i would have ended up sanding grooves in the stab and fuse! What sort of sanding tools do you use?

Tom - as I'm sure I've said previously, I use car body filler, which is very easy to sand. This means damage to the surrounding plastic is minimal in comparison to using Milliput for example. I also wrap some sandpaper around a block of wood, as this also helps spread the pressure on the area being sanded, and reduces the risk of adding 'trenches' as you sand. Finally, I only start off with a coarse grade of paper, and quickly move to progressively smoother grades; it may create a bit more work but reduces the risk of over-sanding and damaging the plastic beneath.

'Laid back attitude.' Yes, that seems to be Tom's attitude: 'Whilst I'm waiting for the stabilisers to dry, I think I'll scratchbuild a 1/24th scale Sopwith Tabloid, and I might have time to finishing putting the wings on the 1/72nd scale Tarrant Tabor'.

Regards,

Jason

Ha ha! I do have other projects on the go, but they tend to be simple out of the box jobs - I need something to keep my sanity intact! :unsure::unsure:

Tom

• Like 3

What a great build to watch coming together. Here's me deliberating on tackling an Airfix or Revell 1/72 jobbies and you're scratching building one in 1/32!

Cheers, Neil!

I didn't particularly enjoy the Airfix offering - it fought me all the way. I have just bought the Revell AEW2, and although I haven't started it yet it looks a little crisper than the Airfix kit and from what I've heard/read, it goes together a little better, too. Still, why not give us what many have been waiting for and do a dual-build thread - comparing and contrasting as you go..?

• Like 1

Check out this wonderful 30 minute BBC2 programme on the Shackleton and its operational origins and history - this was produced just after the retirement of the AWE2 fleet and is well worth a watch.

I love the final line: "...we were flying Rolls Royce engines in leather seats." Says it all really.

Enjoy!

Tom

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the fins of late, so time for an update.

My original plan was to use the Lancaster fins as a starting point, but I didn't realise how much larger the Shackleton's fins are, not to mention the substantial shape differences:

26138380174_f0fce4f9f9_c.jpg

The solution was to cut a plastic card template, and then copy it eight times to give me four laminated pieces per fin, which provided the correct thickness. These were then glued with polystyrene cement, clamped together and allowed to dry for 48 hours:

26114793803_e0f53ede53_c.jpg

I then started to sand the leading edges to get the aerofoil shape:

26112159194_8daf24c8ab_c.jpg

Checking the plans regularly as I went:

26114793193_e4b8a6d2e5_c.jpg

With the shape correct, I then primed each fin and added the surface details, including those famous rivets:

26114794213_4fc92fba73_c.jpg

I then inserted small metal pins into the inner surfaces of the fins, and drilled holes in the ends of the stabilisers to attach them firmly:

26705971536_2421546d04_c.jpg

I think they look passable in situ:

26638637572_10bd4120c5_c.jpg

26127916823_4b44f51a42_c.jpg

26731946945_97d8914be0_c.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 23