Best 1/48 Spitfire

mark73

Looking for advice, my 6 year old wants to do a project on aircraft for the local beaver group, it will be his first build and when I showed him the size of a 1/72 kit he wasn't impressed, so looking for the best 1/48 kit, one that's easy enough for him to build with limited help.

My worry is that if he ends up with a dog of a kit it will turn him off the hobby, so what's the best fit, least problems etc.

Cheers in advance

Will check out those options guys, cheers, he really wants to paint it and I'd skip the normal construction steps in certain places to make it easier for him to build, no need for him to build up sub sections that would never be seen etc, will check out that Pegasus one and see where I can get them here in Ireland.

Anyone an opinion on any of the airfix versions?

The old Airfix Vb is a straightforward enough kit, the new one which replaced it in the past couple of years is a lot more involved though.

Revell produce what I recall as a fairly simple MkII which looks OK when built.

The Pegasus kit mentioned earlier seems to be perfect for your needs though. My son built a few of these when he was the same age, very easy to get a decent result without frustration,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

I recall my six year old building a dinosaur. She painted it purple just like Barney on TV. The point is, the Beavers, your son included, probably want fun not accuracy or anything else. Acrylic paint, if it comes to paint, can be a lot more kid - and laundry - friendly. Purple also works for Spitfires.

The punch line of the dinosaur is that my child is now doing the same thing with her child. Her dinosaur is green. Grandpa is having a ball.

• Like 2

some very good advice.

the Pegasus kit is available from Hannants,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PH8410

I think Pocketbond are the UK distributor, http://www.pocketbond.co.uk/About.aspx

so you could ask them who distributes in Ireland.

In butchering the Tamiya kit to correct it's faults I was very impressed at how well it all fits togther.

The much maligned for shape errors Academy Spitfire XIV is by all accounts a very well fitting and reasonable easy kit.

Finally, there is the 'half way house' Airfix Quick Build, about 1/48th, it constructs like Lego, but gives a impressive result

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948077-quick-build-typhoon-spitfire-bf109-kits/

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/quick-build-spitfire.html

j6000-spitfire-2_1_.jpg

HTH

T

• Like 2

Thanks for all the pointers, reckon the Pegasus one is the way to go, he really wants to paint one and the ease of construction of that kit will be a bonus, would hate to see him put off by too complex a kit, the only reason I'm looking at 1/48 is he says the 1/72 kit is too small...guess he won't be following me down the 1/144 route...

To echo what others have said, if the Pegasus one isn't available, I'd go with the Tamiya Mk. I. Well engineered, not overly complex, BoB paint scheme, shape inaccuracies won't detract from the model especially as viewed by youngsters.

• Like 1

Going Pegasus also makes sense as an initial hook. A Tamiya to follow afterwards with its extra detail could then cause something of a 'wow' factor and keep interests momentum.

Saying that, a lot of my 'wow' when I made my first kit (an fw-190, aged around 8), was the opportunity to play with the interesting smelling paints and spirits. Just be careful if he tries to dry the propellers glue in front of a gas fire. The result is a bit of a 'belly landed backwards' look.

• Like 1

You might consider the old Monogram Mk.IX if you come across one.

It's got the "added advantage" of having retractable gear and those subassemblies you'd mentioned skipping aren't really an issue.

Spitfire1.jpg

Certainly not the best Spitfire kit, but I don't think a six year old is likely to be bothered about the sorts of accuracy and detail issues that bother us.

• Like 1

This is how my o!d Monogram kit turned out. Xtracolour paints and Aeromaster Burmese AF decals. Painted the inside of the canopy black, then dipped in Future. Other than that, it was an OOB build.

IMG_2524.jpg

• Like 1

May I add the Otaki/Arai/Matchbox/Airfix Mk.8/9 kit is a sweetie to build for the tyro. If available.

Hobbycraft had a very nice for beginners Seafire XV that I used in a similar exercise some time ago.

I do second the Pegasus kit as the current best bet tho' the grandkids like the Airfix Quick Build kits.

Grant