Nord 1300/Slingsby/Fokker Baby IIb -Getting it up?

sean

Probably stick to 1/48th scale to go with the Blanik and Bocian already in the stash.

I'll have a go at some drawings over the next couple of weeks but to 1/24th scale and then reduce them back to 1/48th.

Just been up in the loft to get the works drawings for the T21 and found a load for the T49 as well. Now that would make a nice little model too.

Chris.

My first trip was in a Barge strapped on my Da's knee. I was 3.

You wouldn't be allowed to do that today!

I was going to take my Daughter in my old barge but the director of domestic operations decided she was too small at only 7. Said Daughter was very miffed that she couldn't go up in Daddy's glider. I wish now that we had flown together as it would have been something unusual for her to look back on.

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

years ago I logged a goodly number of hours on a Nord 1300 in France.

Always towed by a Socata Rallye 180 Hp. I did a lot of towing as well, and as long as you kept the tow plane speed down a bit, there was no worry.

As a glider the Nord 1300 is fantastic, and we used to fly it without the cockpit coaming (not in winter though!), although it was not advised as it was supposed to cause some turbulences that may affect the tail surfaces and prevent a spin recovery...

In a strong head wind you could fly for miles backward, and the landing was just something special: drop down from high up, nose down almost vertically, pull on the stick and as there was no translation of speed into height, you'd just touch down and be stopped in ten meters or so!!!!

I have lots of photos, but where is the question!

Good luck!

JR

PS: I forgot that a lot of towing was done with a Morane Saulnier 317!!!!

Edited by jean

With regards the early German one; I'd suggest strongly looking into the Bucker Bu-131 Jungmann and Bu-181 Bestmann as possible towing candidates.

You might find some useful information at this website about aircraft types used to tow Babies:

http://www.grunaubaby.nl/index.htm

For what it's worth, though I know it falls outside the nations you're planning your models to represent, I have seen a picture of a Polikarpov Po-2 towing an East German Baby aloft.

A few years ago, I saw a Czech version of the Baby taken up by an L-60 Brigadyr at a show.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...