HMS M.1 - 1/350 Submarine from Mikro-Mir

Just received the latest in Mikro-Mir's growing range of 1/30 scale submarines - HMS M.1

The M-Class were conceived and built after WWI as gun-armed Monitor submarines - fitted with a massive 12in gun.

This new kit from Mikro-Mir is welll executed with injection-moulded hull and superstructure, an etched-brass fret of smaller parts and a small decal sheet with markings for HMS M.1 in two different colour schemes.

The box art shows her in the earlier 1920 disruptive scheme.....

350-HMS%20M1_12.jpg

The kit contents.....

350-HMS%20M1_13.jpg

Instruction Sheet.....

350-HMS%20M1_14.jpg

.... and colour scheme/ marking options.......

350-HMS%20M1_15.jpg

As I have already built a resin M.1 in the disruptive camouflage, I will be painting this new model in her 1921 scheme....

350-HMS%20M1_08.jpg

Mikro-Mir are planning to kit all 3 of the M-Class - HMS M.2 as converted into an aircraft carrier and M.3 when she was a Minelayer.

Mikro-Mir seems to be ploughing a lone furrow with their continuing release of early British submarines - more power to their elbow. :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a start.......

The plastic is very brittle - almost resin-like - and is prone to cracking - so take care!!

The hull is in two vertically split halves and to cater for other variants (M2 and M3 are promised) - the superstructure is a separate insert.

The huge gun barrel is in two halves and is fitted inside the two halves of its casing - the superstructure is in vertically split halves with inserts for the conning tower deck and forward decking under the gun barrel.

Etched brass is then added to the decking under the barrel - to replicate the overhang there.........

350-HMS%20M1_16.jpg

The completed superstructure is then fitted onto the hull - leaving a prominent join that will need filling and sanding.....

350-HMS%20M1_17.jpg

There is also a gap between the gun casing and surrounding superstructure - mainly due to my ham-fistedness.

I would recomment not doing the gun barrel and casing until the superstructure is assembled - you might get a better fit that way.

Also, I would prefer the gun barrel to have a bit higher in elevation - but it builds as horizontal.

Ken

• Like 4

Hull assembled, joints filled and rubbed down, etched brass parts added.....

350-HMS%20M1_18.jpg

The etched brass is nice and makes for some good scale detail - but the bilge keels were a bit awkward - being very flexible and difficult to get straight....

350-HMS%20M1_19.jpg

I haven't fitted the supplied hand rails around the superstructure - my old eyes and hands aren't up to it.

The etched propellers will be added later - but, strangely, MM don't include any etched anchors :analintruder:

Ken

• Like 3