Classic WWII Aviation series by Edward Shacklady

sean

Yesterday, while stocking up on modelling supplies in Belfast, I found

these in a second hand bookshop:

24400765965_d8665e4ce9_c.jpg

I've had a quick look through each of these and they seem alright, although all the photos are B&W.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of others regarding how good they are.

Regards,

Sean

I bought the P47 book at Downtown Shopping Outlet on the A1 at Grantham as reduced remnant a couple of years ago. It seems pretty good to me, although I'm no Thunderbolt expert! Main interest for me was the 78FG photos

• Like 1

I had the Hurricane and the BF109 books, but was so frustrated by the caption errors that I disposed of them. A pity, as the photos themselves were extremely well selected and reproduced.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I've looked through them over the past week, especially as regards to

the P-47 book as I'm in the GB, they do leave a bit to be desired.

Having said that, there are some great photos in them, shame there is so many wrongly

captioned, while P.83 of the Hurricane book has a pic that looks a lot like a Spitfire, :hmmm:

For 2 quid each, (instead of 17), I reckon they'll come in handy sometime,

Regards,

Sean

Forgot to say; a fair number of the 109 photos have the wrong captions too.

Is that the photo of the Jugoslav Spitfires?

Yep.

Plus I've noticed a few repeat photos in the Tbolt book as well.

Oh well...

Sean

The written info isn't too bad. The photos are good reference and for modelling ideas as long as you know what you are looking at ~ and I reckon you'll recognise the doozies alright.

IIRC the Hurricane book has line art for the sequence of the underneath schemes. Handy to have that too.

• Like 1

The written info isn't too bad. The photos are good reference and for modelling ideas as long as you know what you are looking at ~ and I reckon you'll recognise the doozies alright.

IIRC the Hurricane book has line art for the sequence of the underneath schemes. Handy to have that too.

Yes there is indeed BK, plus drawings for the camoflauge differences throughout the war.

Sean

• 1 year later...

I have the Bf 190 book.

If you ignore the captions on the pictures and most of the text it's passable because the pictures are reproduced well.

It's so bad that there are more corrections written in pencil (my entries) than original text!

Read it by all means, but don't believe anything it says!  Just enjoy the well produced pctures as reference material.

Minus 3* from me.

• Like 1