Revell 1:72 Avro Shackleton AEW2 - Done And Dusted!

Amazing build Spence, the weathering is just magnificent! :thumbsup:

I think so. The Airfix kit is gorgeous, but in my opinion, just too smooth; this one captures the agricultural look of the original machine a little more...

Oh the irony.....Poor Airfix just can't get it right with those panel lines, can they? :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone - it's great to know that so many of you like my build of this soon to be released kit. I'm about halfway through the construction of the Airfix kit, so should have that ready over the next couple of weeks. I'll post some images when it's done.

All the best and have a great day.

Spence :)

You've clearly put many hours into this awesome build! And doesn't it show! Fantastic mate!!

One question, Is the wingspan as big as 1/72 Lancaster? Gonna have to put one on the wish list :)

Thanks for sharing!

The Shackleton's wingspan was 120' against the Lancaster's 102', so the difference will be 3" (7.62cm) in 1/72.

Edited by JosephLalor

Spence,

Excellent work, absolutely beautiful. may I be so bold as to ask a few questions please. Firstly I purchased the February issue of SAMI last week as they had this kit's picture on the front cover, anyone who has ever read any of my posts here on BM will know that I am barmy on AEW aircraft and have been awaiting a kit of the Shack AEW Mk.2 for a long time. The SAMI pictures and article were in fact very disappointing as there was not a single build picture. Just lots of finished model pics against a blue background that really didn't come out well. I'm really hoping that your article has some build sequence pictures (please). Also the SAMI Shack was a test shot, is yours a final production version with production decals?

I'm also really hoping that you'll make some comparison build comments here on BM. I went to Telford in November with the intention of buying the Airfix Shack and using the Aeroclub conversion set to do an AEW version. Then I saw the Revell exhibition model and sprues on their stand and was smitten by the exquisite surface detail and decided to save my money and wait for the Revell release which hopefully will be this month. Strangely some commentators have had a go at the Revell kit having faults even before the model has been released, personally I believe my own eyes and will make my choice on what folks like yourself who will have actually built both of the kit have to say. So please be frank when you have built the Airfix example and guide us towards the correct choice (as I am sure you will have unbiased views).

Next those prop tips, do Revell provide prop decals in the kit, I sincerely hope so as I am in the middle of masking off the props on my MR Mk. 3 FROG Shack model and it is becoming a right pain, so fingers crossed.

I think your comments about the overwhelming interest in your Shack build in Social Media say it all, yes there is massive interest and I think a lot of people have held fire on a purchase waiting for the Revell AEW version. Especially as the Airfix Reps at Telford were very reticent regarding the release of an AEW version! Which was very strange as they have included all that AEW Radar Console detail in the fuselage (that cannot be seen without hacking holes in the side of the model as Airfix did at Telford) yet the kit they released represents a MR version.

Well many congratulations on your terrific build again and I for one cannot wait for the magazine article to come out.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Spence,

Excellent work, absolutely beautiful. may I be so bold as to ask a few questions please. Firstly I purchased the February issue of SAMI last week as they had this kit's picture on the front cover, anyone who has ever read any of my posts here on BM will know that I am barmy on AEW aircraft and have been awaiting a kit of the Shack AEW Mk.2 for a long time. The SAMI pictures and article were in fact very disappointing as there was not a single build picture. Just lots of finished model pics against a blue background that really didn't come out well. I'm really hoping that your article has some build sequence pictures (please). Also the SAMI Shack was a test shot, is yours a final production version with production decals?

I'm also really hoping that you'll make some comparison build comments here on BM. I went to Telford in November with the intention of buying the Airfix Shack and using the Aeroclub conversion set to do an AEW version. Then I saw the Revell exhibition model and sprues on their stand and was smitten by the exquisite surface detail and decided to save my money and wait for the Revell release which hopefully will be this month. Strangely some commentators have had a go at the Revell kit having faults even before the model has been released, personally I believe my own eyes and will make my choice on what folks like yourself who will have actually built both of the kit have to say. So please be frank when you have built the Airfix example and guide us towards the correct choice (as I am sure you will have unbiased views).

Next those prop tips, do Revell provide prop decals in the kit, I sincerely hope so as I am in the middle of masking off the props on my MR Mk. 3 FROG Shack model and it is becoming a right pain, so fingers crossed.

I think your comments about the overwhelming interest in your Shack build in Social Media say it all, yes there is massive interest and I think a lot of people have held fire on a purchase waiting for the Revell AEW version. Especially as the Airfix Reps at Telford were very reticent regarding the release of an AEW version! Which was very strange as they have included all that AEW Radar Console detail in the fuselage (that cannot be seen without hacking holes in the side of the model as Airfix did at Telford) yet the kit they released represents a MR version.

Well many congratulations on your terrific build again and I for one cannot wait for the magazine article to come out.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian. This model is indeed built from a test-shot that was supplied by Revell along with a set of the decals that will be supplied in the kit. I have built it for my feature in the March issue of Model Airplane International and as such, it features well over 60 photographs - 40-odd of which cover the construction and painting of this model - spread over 12 pages of the magazine and the front cover. I have also gone into detail as to how the model goes together and how you can get the best from the parts and decals supplied. As for the prop tips, they are not supplied on the decal sheet, so need to be masked and painted...

I mentioned that I am also building the Airfix kit and I am comparing the two, the second in-depth feature following closely the format of the first, ready to be published in the April issue. Hopefully, they'll be no glitches along the way!

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment on this model and I hope that the features answer the questions that you have about both kits!

All the very best - Spence :)

• Like 1

Just spotted this, another Spence masterpiece. As regards dressing the props, I was told many years ago by my instructor, it originated with wooden 2 blade airscrews. They were dressed horizontally when parked out in case it was damp. Horizontal blades took up precipitation evenly. With a vertical blade, absorbed moisture would gravitate to the lower blade which could affect balance.

On any propeller aircraft, you "Y" (three blades) or "CROSS" (four blades) the props to increase safety for anyone working near the aircraft on the ground. If one blade is pointing straight down, everyone knows where the prop is and it's less likely they will run into it with ground equipment or walk into it. Even if the props are not turning, they're still dangerous and can also be damaged.

Check out this Britmodeller thread for dressed props of the shack at rest...............

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989207-172-avro-shackleton-aew2-mr3-by-revell-box-artsprues-aew2-release-february-2016/page-11

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be the best built Revell Shackleton previewed on this site so far, the weathering is spot on...............however, I do have one complaint!!!!!!!! :jump_fire: 3 three photos does NOT do this build justice....................... :fight: Can we have a lot more pictures of this superb build Spence :wow:

This has to be the best built Revell Shackleton previewed on this site so far, the weathering is spot on...............however, I do have one complaint!!!!!!!! :jump_fire: 3 three photos does NOT do this build justice....................... :fight: Can we have a lot more pictures of this superb build Spence :wow:

You'll have to buy the magazine! There's a 12 page feature on this build in the March issue of Model Airplane International - you'll find around 70 pictures in that!

All the best - Spence :)

Yes I did read in your intro about all the photos in the March issue, but cant wait for the magazine Spence, that's why I asked for a few more to be posted...................

• Like 1