Humbrol matt varnish....

Graham T

Well, that's another model ruined with this. I guess I should have given up with it & stuck with my usual satin finish after using the matt stuff on a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire VIII & Revell 1/32 109G6 before trying again on the current Eduard P47 project. Applied by airbrush it is TOO matt & leaves the model looking "dusty". Might give Xtracolour matt varnish a go next. Any other recommendations?

I mix it with Humbrol Satin (approx. 2:1 matt:satin and thin with good quality white spirit). This works well for me and something I've been doing for a few years now. Try that on an old model or play around with the ratios and see what you get.

I've always had problems with Humbrol's matt varnish, usually applied by brush. Unless the stuff is warm, I find it goes glossy when it dries. Never applied it with an air-brush. Still trying to find an alternative that doesn't go glossy.

A lot of people like Windsor & Newton Galleria varnishes and I'm one of them but I apply it with a brush although, I think it can be used in an airbrush.

A quick search should give you the answer.

I use it in an airbrush but thinned 50/50 with thinners

Rodders

I've always had problems with Humbrol's matt varnish, usually applied by brush. Unless the stuff is warm, I find it goes glossy when it dries. Never applied it with an air-brush. Still trying to find an alternative that doesn't go glossy.

Had exactly this problem today. Sprayed with Purity Seal in the end.

I use Vallejo Varnish.

They do Matt Satin and Gloss.

They do these in two forms. Acrylic and a Polyurethene.

The Acrylic drys faster. The Polyurethene take twice the time, approx, to cure but is tougher if models are going to be handled.

The acrylic matt is very very matt. The satin gives a good finish. If work is carried out after varnishing then the polyurethene is

the best.

For gloss for decals etc I use Humbrol Clear which is very thin and goes on well.

All the above flatten out well and are forgiving unless you leave the stuff in an airbrush overnight. Ha ha. :banghead:

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Hi guys

I should have read this thread before wasting £4.99 on this stuff.

Ruined a decently( my opinion) painted green vehicle into something that looked like my car on a frosty morning.

Have now managed to get it to look like a half decent (my opinion) whitewashed vehicle.

Will try some of the alternatives given by you guys, thanks.

Humbrol clear matt varnish...destination the bin!

Cheers

K

Usually, a white dusting, frosting or snow on a model, after applying matt varnish, is the matting agent.

Its sometimes the case there is too much for the carrier, it wont mix in thoroughly and it shows itself as this frosting.

A wet coat of gloss varnish can help soak up the matting agent. Then after that re-applying a matt varnish.

If there is too much matting agent the varnish can be improved by thinning, sometimes it needs a lot of thinning.