Corrugated roofing 1/35th scale.

Badder

I have just finished my 2nd diorama since returning to modelling and joining this site, and in BOTH I have wanted to reproduce sheets of corrugated roofing. (@1/35th) However, it's hard stuff to replicate successfully. I had thought about corrugated cardboard packaging, but the only stuff I've found is too big for this scale. Does anyone know a source of corrugated cardboard at a smaller scale?

Or, does anyone know of a quick and easy way to 'scratch-build' a sheet of corrugated roofing?

Is there a product out there on the market which I can take moulds from?

If not, I'm thinking I may have to make my own form or mould and use tissue paper soaked in PVA, which, whilst it might be successful, is a bit of a chore.

Thanks. Badder.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that you could produce corrugations by pressing stiff rods onto a sheet of thin plastic that had been softened by immersion in hot water. Probably four at a time, or thereabouts. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it may be possible that way.

• Like 1

Is there a larger than oo/Ho scale railway kit? They ,the railway kit suppliers do a good range of roofing. Wills do the OO/HO stuff,not sure if its possible to get larger scale sheet. The German kit makers are big on a massive range of stuff. 1 scale is 1/32nd scale,near enough for you? The next is 0 scale 1/45th. Try a model shop thats big on train layouts. If you haven't got one try phoning Parrs in Lowestoft.

Big train people and if it exists he'll know.

Parrs Lowestoft..........01502 565695 Good luck!

• Like 2

Is there a larger than oo/Ho scale railway kit? They ,the railway kit suppliers do a good range of roofing. Wills do the OO/HO stuff,not sure if its possible to get larger scale sheet. The German kit makers are big on a massive range of stuff. 1 scale is 1/32nd scale,near enough for you? The next is 0 scale 1/45th. Try a model shop thats big on train layouts. If you haven't got one try phoning Parrs in Lowestoft.

Big train people and if it exists he'll know.

Parrs Lowestoft..........01502 565695 Good luck!

Cool. Thanks. Silly me never even thought about railway modelling!

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that you could produce corrugations by pressing stiff rods onto a sheet of thin plastic that had been softened by immersion in hot water. Probably four at a time, or thereabouts. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it may be possible that way.

Cheers.,.. I had thought about using a hair-dryer to heat thin sheet, but then you have to wrap it over and under alternate metal

'rods' which as you say would be a bit fiddly. Might be worth a go though.

Cool. Thanks. Silly me never even thought about railway modelling!

I've got 20 odd packs of Wills OO/HO corrugated and another 10 packs of transparent corrugated sheets waiting for me to do something with it! The OO/HO is about £3.50 for a pack of 4 sheets . expect more the scale you're after.

• Like 2

I went through lots of old carboard boxes we had at work until I found an appropriate size.

A few minutes soaked in water and the middle layer (the corrugated layer) just separated very easily.

Few coats of varnish sent it nice and hard again,.. then just painted.

DSC00048_zpsgo1wbut6.jpg

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 4

Good effect Superstar,because it looks as battered,slight irregularities as a shack like that would do. The Wills stuff is pristine which would look out of place on your model,yours is spot on!

I made a tool using pizza cutter blades with washers for spacers , in conjunction with a guardrail from a Tamiya kit , I was able to roll out brass sheets to good effect.

IMG_8912_zpsm1ho7kvf.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Scale verisimilitude of wiggly tin is a real bug bear of mine; frequently it can be seen in dioramas in which the correct, (for that scale), dimensions have been ignored for the nearest match that looks similar.

I use the foil from a bottle of wine. Firstly flatten the foil and then burnish it with some fine steel wool or sand paper. Then cut the foil to the required size, (sheets are usualy cut to a standard size of 675mm x 900mm. to 3m. I then make two identical jigs from a couple of sections of 40 thou plasticard, (the jig plate), to which I glue rod of the right diameter for the scale, spaced correctly for the scale, Then put the sheet of foil between the two jigs and press. Voila! wiggly tin.

For 1/35, (and roughly estimated as the brain is not yet switched fully on), a sheet will be 16mm x 26mm to 87mm, so that will be the minimum size for the jig plate, (larger is always better!). To the jig plate glue rods of 1mm diameter 2.1mm apart. Allow to dry and then press away.

This way might seem to be a bit 'involved' and lengthy, but once the jigs have been made they can be used to make as much wiggly tin as it would normally appear, i.e. to a set standard. Also once made they can be put in the tool draw and used whenever needed. I made a set for 80mm wiggly tin, for a WWI figure, before Crimbo and they took less than 10 minutes to make.

HTH!

Christian

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1

The Works book/craft shop sell an oil paint tube squeezer which has a corrugated Roller and bed for about a quid

I used this to make the ironwork for my 1:35th Anderson shelter from litho plate but on later projects I have used the bottom of foil takeaway containers which bends a little easier

I don't know how accurate it is but to my eye it looks right

Hope this helps

Wiley

• Like 2

What you need is the Corr-u-gator from Paul at Little Cars, see his site in the traders section below. MODeller

Well, that's certainly a nice and easy-to-use product. The price however, is .....

OR......................................Make two molds with Double Bond Putty...........Do not forget release agent! It sets rock hard.Make two for a corrugated sandwich !

Just need something to make the master now !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...