Humbrol Clear

beetcleaner

Brushing humbrol clear over humbrol enamel 30 and 27 on an Airfix Hurricane.

Usual method is to put a coat on and leave for half an hour before the next one.

I am finding that where the brush marks overlap there is a noticeable "stain".

This happens when a varnished piece of the model has partly dried out and then brushing up to and over it with the same coat.

I thought it would dry evenly and show no marks but the marks are still there after two coats. Will this disappear under a flat coat? I have still to put a third coat on before allowing to dry overnight and then applying decals,sealing in with another two coats and then weathering.

Any tips?

I have used Humbrol Clear on several models now and been very happy with it.

I brush it on using a soft 1/4in flat brush, work on one section at a time, if I do miss any on coverage do not try and go over it while it is drying, wait until the next coat goes on.

I find it needs about 3-4 coats to get a reasonable gloss finish for decals.

I always leave at least 12hrs before another coat is applied, 1/2hr just does not seem long enough to me although that is what it says on bottle.

My method is similar to yours in that I am doing a section at a time but what I find is that the Clear is drying so quickly. I did one side of the rudder and then the other. When I came back to the other side to do from the rudder along the fuselage this is when the overlap stain appeared.

Im being very careful not to allow it to run or pool but it just seems that wherever I start from an area that has been done it leaves an overlap mark.

I have an airbrush and am wondering if applying the Clear with that would solve the problem. I used to brush paint the old formula Klear with no problems and wonder if I should try the new formula to see if that avoids any marks