Messerschmitt Bf109Ga-6 MKHL

This is an AZ 109G-6 built to represent W.Nr. 760381

Built at the MWG plant and originally allocated to the Luftwaffe, ( as part of the contract stipulating two for the Luftwaffe, for every one for the Hungarian Air Force) it somehow ended up with the MKHL.

W-021 of 101/3 vadaszszazad was as piloted by Lt Laszlo Daniel, at Veszprem, Hungary in August 1944.

The AZ kit is a nice build, but requires a bit of attention regarding test fitting before glue.

This was not helped by me choosing to fatten the nose up a little using something similar to the method posted by Barry Numerick (sp?), though not quite to the same standard.

I have two more AZ 109's on the go, both fattened at the nose, but I'm not sure the work is worth it.

Might build the next one straight from the box.

22916229165_b95e3e4b4e_c.jpg

Painted with Tamiya and Gunze Aqueous.

HAD decals were nice to use, though i managed to get a few silvering spots in panel lines.

Gloss coat with decals.

22902791282_05ce9e800a_c.jpg

The matt coat was too matt though, and as a result the colour has lost a little contrast.

23743143433_b9d67b934e_c.jpg

24002177589_f127dbeb2a_c.jpg

24074404220_fb8b6e97eb_c.jpg

24287478821_f2a87b2609_c.jpg

23177113756_91f5ebeb6b_c.jpg

23743157413_c319cd7369_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments welcome.

• Like 15

The build looks great! Could you give more details on the nose fattening method? To me that narrow nose is quite a disappointment in an otherwise excellent kit. I unfortunately assembled three of these at the same time before I realised this issue, but I want to try to fix it on 4th I still have in stock.

The build looks great! Could you give more details on the nose fattening method? To me that narrow nose is quite a disappointment in an otherwise excellent kit. I unfortunately assembled three of these at the same time before I realised this issue, but I want to try to fix it on 4th I still have in stock.

This is a link to the thread that convinced me to have a shot at a nose job.

AZ Bf 109 G-14 (72nd Aircraft) - InvisionFree - zIFBoards

I have copied this process for this build, but have tried a slight variation on one of the two i have on the go at the moment.

I will see if I have a pic of the different approach.

Note that the leading edge is fattened as the lower wing has to fit flush with the lower front cowl.

A happy effect of this is it seems to improve the angle of incidence.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will try that method and I think since it doesn't look like a huge amount of work it is well worth it for the effect. Interestingly, on my builds the wings are already too fat, i.e. the upper wing sections join slightly above the wing root on the fuselage halves. So it's already half way there in terms of lowering the wing to the right position for the new nose to fit. In my opinion it doesn't even need to be 100% accurate, it just needs to give the right "feel", since currently it just looks wrong if you are familiar enough with 109s.

By the way, their kits of the G-6/AS and G-10 (with the new engine cowling) have new fuselage halves which don't have this problem at all. Unfortunately, this created other problems (cockpit doesn't fit at all).

When you say cockpit doesn't fit at all, do you mean the fuselage halves won't stretch around the cockpit floor and back?

I trimmed a lot off the cockpit floor (to narrow it), and the sides, sot the fuselage haves would join and so the canopy would fit the width.

Don't use filler to plug upper fuselage gaps, or the canopy will seem too thin.

Will get me some G-10 and 6/AS kits someday.