1/144 Authentic Airliners Air New Zealand DC10-30

I've been meaning to photograph this for a while now and finally got round to it today.

In keeping with my "airliners at Heathrow in the 70's and 80's" theme it's the Authentic Airliners DC10-30 with 26 ANZ decals and Authentic airliners windscreen.

Halfords white primer polished and glossed with Kleer, natural metal belly and wings are Mr Metal Color either Aluminium or Chrome Silver, I can't remember which now. Coroguard is from xtracolor.

The 26 cheatlines are printed with windows otherwise I would have used Kurt's window decals. I might at some point use some of Kurt's decals but I'll have to apply them in small strips so they line up with the windows already there. Credit to Ray at 26 who sent me an extra strip of cheatline around the nose for the AA windscreen to fit.

As usual with Kurt's models this went together without a hitch and is one of my favourite models.

For years I've wanted an ANZ DC10 because it was one of the first airliners I went on back in the 70's. My Dad worked for Dunlop Aviation at Heathrow and would take us over to the BA hangars where we would look around the planes parked there. Air New Zealand DC10s were parked outside very often. We often went to have a look around Concorde as there was always one, or more, in the hangars. We weren't really meant to be in the maintenance base but as long as we ducked down behind the seats of the van we were waved through the security post, which of course made it doubly exciting when you're only 10!! All my friends wanted to come planespotting during the summer hols on the off chance we would be able to visit the hangars!

263%201280x672_zpsyy8mqng8.jpg

283%201280x539_zpsnke77ble.jpg

264%201280x650_zpst0valwho.jpg

287%201280x779_zpsz5mmenvm.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 37

You were a lucky 10 year old!

Great effects achieved Ian - the natural metal is wonderful, and those AA windshields - awesome. Enjoyed seeing this one.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ian

That's a cracking build, in particular the paint job and decals are exceptional.

The windscreen decal is first class too - I hope Kurt eventually makes these for every airliner kit.

I also love your taxiways.

Great job

Tim

It is a shame,only ones left are freight dogs now (if there are any left) if only they hadn't had the problems with the cargo door and American 191 all but finished the DC-10 and McDonnell-Douglas in the end...

Edited by Vince1159

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone, it's a real encouragement for me to get more of my models off the shelf and finished!

I've just worked out I've got 11 out on my shelves, most of them mainly finished and needing paint.

Tim, thanks for the comment about the taxiways. I have been keeping a big piece of MDF, which came with some laminate flooring, for a decent sized photo baseboard. One side is the taxiways the other I hope to have some parking areas so I can photograph my models with some gse.

Dave, the undercarriage is just resin. I didn't do any strengthening but as it just sits on the shelf and doesn't get much handling I'm hoping it'll be ok. Interestingly, the Authentic Airliners MD11 and TriStar kits, both similar size to the DC10, have metal main gear struts. The A300 just resin I think.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Those decals really fill out the 10s big flight deck windows.Excellent build.I recall these aircraft were operated in pool with British Airways on the Los Angeles route crewed by Ba overseas division crews during the late 70's.