Revell 1/87 trains

Darby

Without getting nerdy about track gauge and scale, but I can if you want. A Revell 1:87 kit should look better face on than say a Dapol oo kit as the track width will be to scale rather than a bit narrow.

Would you use the base in the kit? Otherwise I'd be tempted to splash the cash for some Fleishmann track for a base/ diorama so it is correct sleeper spacing for the scale

Enjoy

Just looking for something different to do. I've done planes, ships AFV etc but a locomotive never. So I've had a look at the Revell ones and may go down that route. The BR ones look good made up

• Like 1

A friend has made up the Big Boy. Looks very impressive.

I'm a bit dubious about going into a model shop and saying I'm looking for a Big Boy. I may get told I'm in the wrong place. It does look like a big old beast. Is it an ex-Monogram?

• Like 3

Hannants are showing 4 in stock so you could have a mail order big boy but perhaps that sounds even worse. On the picture on their website the trailing bogie (under the cab) is not sitting on the rails correctly- whoops

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are still interested but have just ordered a pair of these

http://www.oupsmodel.com/maquette-locomotives-et-wagons/28780-revell-maquette-locomotive-02158-locomotives-br01-br02-1-

Dont know why, but like yourself it will be interesting to try something different .No doubt the intricacies of these things will push me to the limit, and forever end up on the shelf of doom . But finished they could make impressive looking models..

Suppose it was seeing The flying Scotsman on the box last week, I would like to paint mine the color of that, and at least if I cock it up theres another bite at the cherry !!.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a running version of the Big Boy at one time can't remember who made it, a very impressive Locomotive, however I could only run it on the outer curves, as it couldn't cope with inner curves, good luck with build.

Cheers

I had a running version of the Big Boy at one time can't remember who made it, a very impressive Locomotive, however I could only run it on the outer curves, as it couldn't cope with inner curves, good luck with build.

Cheers

Sounds like the Rivarossi model.

Karl

• 1 year later...