1/48 - Bell UH-1D Huey & UH-1N Twin Huey by Kitty Hawk - UH-1D & N released - Reskit detailing sets

Homebee

It has been mentioned on ARC Air that a 1/35th scale version of this kit may follow if sales of this 1/48th scale kit are good. I have no doubt that a 1/35th scale UH-1D would be a winner for Kitty Hawk if it was of a similar standard to this smaller scale kit.

We also badly need an accurate 1/72 UH-1D kit. One to consider for the future for KH.

BM.

Edited by Blue Monday

On 29/05/2017 at 14:14, Homebee said:

That surface detailing is, to be generous, "rough".  Raised panels (1" scale thickness, must be replicated tank armor plating), dimples instead of the prominent raised rivets which cover the real thing, that huge horizontal hinge on the engine cowling.   No reason why, in 2017, one cannot replicate raised rivets accurately in 1/48th scale.  Heck, Eduard mastered this years ago on their Bf-109G kit.   I truly hope they won't just scale up this kit into 1/35, going to look really bad.    KH did a great job on so many other details on this kit, really hope they'll correct these issues.

Edited by Greg B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 11bravo said:

That surface detailing is, to be generous, "rough".  Raised panels (1" scale thickness, must be replicated tank armor plating), dimples instead of the prominent raised rivets which cover the real thing, that huge horizontal hinge on the engine cowling.   No reason why, in 2017, one cannot replicate raised rivets accurately in 1/48th scale.  Heck, Eduard mastered this years ago on their Bf-109G kit.   I truly hope they won't just scale up this kit into 1/35, going to look really bad.    KH did a great job on so many other details on this kit, really hope they'll correct these issues.

Got to agree, it does look overdone, those raised panels on the real thing are subtle.

As for the rivets, I'm not a fan of holes, but if they are well done I can live with them when the are representing flush rivets, but when they are representing raised rivets I just don't get it.

Edited by Tbolt

On 6/3/2017 at 21:07, Laurent said:

Yep exactly my point - overdone, though these images show it better.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Huey/Images/UH-1D-6497.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_gershman/uh-1d/images/uh-1d_05_of_39.jpg

Edited by Julien
Pls dont post up other sites images, only links pls.

1280px-Australian_Army_(A2-455)_Bell_UH-

... also. Perhaps there's an engineering limitation on what KH can achieve. And it's likely that quite a few modellers will represent their model with the doors opened so in this case the area of concern won't be very visible.

• Like 1

Also note that the kit has a very heavy horizontal hinge line on the aft engine cowling that will require some careful sanding to remove.   It doesn't exist on the real thing, not sure what KH was thinking.   Also, they replicated the footwell doors on the column aft of the pilots seats as raised panels.   In reality they are flush. Those will need to be sanded off and rescribed, which (for me at least) would be a bit of a tricky task.  See below...

Image may contain: outdoor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laurent said:

... also. Perhaps there's an engineering limitation on what KH can achieve. And it's likely that quite a few modellers will represent their model with the doors opened so in this case the area of concern won't be very visible.

If it's an engineering limitation then maybe a better way would be to have all the parts in that area flush as it would look closer to the real think in 1/48th scale.

14 hours ago, Laurent said:

I doubt that.  It appears that it was just poor attention to detail on the part of the folks designing the molds.   They did the same with the footwell covers aft of the pilot doors.   Just didn't understand that they were flush panels and replicated them sticking out.   That's going to be a real pain to fix since you need to sand it flush and then scribe the correct shape into the side of the fuselage. Multiply that by 4. 

59 minutes ago, 11bravo said:

I doubt that.  It appears that it was just poor attention to detail on the part of the folks designing the molds.   They did the same with the footwell covers aft of the pilot doors.   Just didn't understand that they were flush panels and replicated them sticking out.   That's going to be a real pain to fix since you need to sand it flush and then scribe the correct shape into the side of the fuselage. Multiply that by 4. 

For the footwell covers why not scribe round the raised ones angling under the raised section, sand off said raised section and then finish the rescribing?

It still seems to be the best starting point though not perfect OOB which is a shame. If this was Trumpy/BlobbyBoss the Fora would be full of slagging posts. I couldn't find a Huey in time for the Huey GB here on BM. Looks like Lady Luck smiled on me!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 11bravo said:

I don't see the foot wells being difficult if you've got a scribing template the right size as the are only rectangular, just a pain as things like this are simple to get right when producing a model.

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:21 AM, Tbolt said:

As for the rivets, I'm not a fan of holes, but if they are well done I can live with them when the are representing flush rivets, but when they are representing raised rivets I just don't get it.

Seems pretty simple to me, But to explain, when you put a wash in a recessed hole it's changes the colour of the hole and provides a visual representation of that particular detail be it be a fastener. latch or something else.

So for mine, in smaller subjects  recessed hole is the most effective way of simulating detail whether it be raised or flush

• Like 1

Further to Calum's post above. I've seen somewhere tiny plastic spheres for sale. These could be dropped into each recess to represent raised rivets, any missing ones could easily be added by making a new hole and treating the same. I'll see if I can find them.

5 hours ago, Calum said:

Seems pretty simple to me, But to explain, when you put a wash in a recessed hole it's changes the colour of the hole and provides a visual representation of that particular detail be it be a fastener. latch or something else.

So for mine, in smaller subjects  recessed hole is the most effective way of simulating detail whether it be raised or flush

I understand how it works. The problem is in the smaller scales it usually looks overdone. Holes are fine for quick release fasteners and Phillips head or slotted screws where there is more to them than just a fine ring of a rivet head.

Aircraft are generally quite smooth and the effect of some of these models is anything but. But when it comes to raised rivets they were doing them decades ago when they should of been flush and now no manufacture seem to want to do them.

Some people love loads of over accentuated detail in there models and strive to makes their models look more interesting but some people prefer a more realistic look, each to their own.

Edited by Tbolt

58 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Further to Calum's post above. I've seen somewhere tiny plastic spheres for sale. These could be dropped into each recess to represent raised rivets, any missing ones could easily be added by making a new hole and treating the same. I'll see if I can find them.

Interesting, though could be a lot of work. Wouldn't rivet  decals be easier though I don't how they would sit over the holes?

Edited by Tbolt

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

I understand how it works. The problem is in the smaller scales it usually looks overdone. Holes are fine for quick release fasteners and Phillips head or slotted screws where there is more to them than just a fine ring of a rivet head.

Aircraft are generally quite smooth and the effect of some of these models is anything but. But when it comes to raised rivets they were doing them decades ago when they should of been flush and now no manufacture seem to want to do them.

Some people love loads of over accentuated detail in there models and strive to makes their models look more interesting but some people prefer a more realistic look, each to their own.

Thanks , but I've got a pretty good idea on what the skin of aircraft are like... My point is that it's a simulation of detail not an exact replica of it. The problem with raised detail is that its more difficult to replace if removed, and more difficult to accentuate. Plus is smaller scales it (like recessed) is always over scale.

Personally I think the majority of recessed detail in modern kits, whilst often over scale, adds visual interest and makes the model look more realistic to the eye, not less. Each to their own indeed.

Edited by Calum

1 hour ago, Calum said:

Thanks , but I've got a pretty good idea on what the skin of aircraft are like... My point is that it's a simulation of detail not an exact replica of it. The problem with raised detail is that its more difficult to replace if removed, and more difficult to accentuate. Plus is smaller scales it (like recessed) is always over scale.

Personally I think the majority of recessed detail in modern kits, whilst often over scale, adds visual interest and makes the model look more realistic to the eye, not less. Each to their own indeed.

I didn't say you didn't, just pointing out that if you want to make a kit look more realistic don't get caught up in the over highlighting craze ( forest and trees and all that ). Don't get me wrong I put a wash in rivet holes and panel lines, otherwise they look even more wrong as you can see the bottom of them, but it would be nice if things improved in this area but manufactures don't seem interested.

Raised rivet detail can be replaced with Archer or HGW rivet decals, but I would be better if no rivet detail is put on the kit allow the modeller to leave it as it is or add their own prefer type ( raised or recessed ) on the smaller scales.

I don't know why you would want to accentuate raised rivets ( each to their own again I guess ), a bit of dirt build up maybe but that's easy and doesn't have to be uniform.

Edited by Tbolt

12 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Interesting, though could be a lot of work. Wouldn't rivet  decals be easier though I don't how they would sit over the holes?

I've had varied results with rivet decals so tend to avoid large scale use. The beads are dead easy put them in a shallow tray. Tiny bit of enamel varnish in each depression, press the side into the beads, lift and brush off the excess. Do a small area at a time and finally put the missing ones in by hand. Once they've got a primer coat on they're going nowhere.

• Like 1

As interesting as this thread is can we please avoid embedding pictures from other sites such as prime portal, airliners.net, wikipedia etc.

This leaves the site open to copyright issues and other legal problems.

Put links in by all means but not direct pictures.

Thanks

Julien

On 6.6.2017 at 1:33 PM, andym said:

Not sure about that Luftwaffe option will need to look into it, suspect it should be in the earlier 6014 overall scheme?

Andy

completely true - the three tone camo was and is only on a/c with low-viz titles, numbers and stencils.

For the earlier scheme, most stencils are missing on the decal sheet. Have a look at www.df-helostuff.de!

• Like 2