1/72 - Vickers Valiant B.2 conversion set (for Airfix) by Aircraft In Miniature (AIM) - released

Homebee

Kingkit has 4 in stock at UK59.99 [Airfix Valiants]...more expensive than the new Victor :weep:.....and a Contrail B2 for UK30 if you don't want to wait :winkgrin:

Edited by azzaob

A snip! I'll take the lot!! Is this seller living in La La Land??? :mental:

Kingkit has 4 in stock at UK59.99 [Airfix Valiants]...more expensive than the new Victor :weep:.....and a Contrail B2 for UK30 if you don't want to wait :winkgrin:

Think I'll pass them by. I won't pay that price for the Valiant. There are another two on ebay at £65 (£71 including postage) and, £79.99 respectively. Silly money. I want a B2 but, not at that price for the basic kits - especially when the two I have only cost £36.99 each.

Of course, there is always Mach 2. As it needs the nose section cutting off and re positioning, one could kill 2 birds with one stone. :banghead:

Maybe not........ :mental:

No! No! Not the Mach 2 kit!! I still have nightmares about that!! :lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Of course, there is always Mach 2. As it needs the nose section cutting off and re positioning, one could kill 2 birds with one stone. :banghead:

That's what I had in mind for my Mach 2 one. That or giving it to a collector of torture instruments....

• Like 1

Funnily enough it's a myth that the nose is too short on the Mach 2 kit. In.fact it's fractionally longer than the Airfix kit . The bigger problem is that the canopy is in the wrong place and wrong shape and that the engine intakes and wings are WAY too deep and thick

(Which creates an illusion that the kits nose is too short !)

Think I'll pass them by. I won't pay that price for the Valiant. There are another two on ebay at £65 (£71 including postage) and, £79.99 respectively. Silly money. I want a B2 but, not at that price for the basic kits - especially when the two I have only cost £36.99 each.

No! No! Not the Mach 2 kit!! I still have nightmares about that!! :lol:

Allan

Gets worse for us in the Southern Hemisphere Allan, as postage adds £21 to that price for a grand total of £81...ouch

Interestingly I was talking with Neil of AIM72 this weekend, and in addition to providing me with a couple of Catia screenshots of the undercarriage assembly (see below) he also gave me a break down of the parts included in the conversion, these being;

RESIN PARTS - 4 off
2 x fuselage plug halves
2 x undercarriage pods

METAL PARTS - 30 off
2 x main gear legs
8 x wheels
6 x undercarriage pod doors (4 x main, 2 x forward)
2 x retraction jacks
4 x vertical links
4 x bellcrank linkages
4 x levelling cylinders

Alps printed serial decals and instructions

Screenshot%202016-08-01%2011.01.35-800.pScreenshot%202016-08-01%2011.01.13-800.p

So all told the kit will comprise of over 30 parts and after having trialled the prototype parts I can confirm that there are a number of large pieces of casting, plus all of the white metal parts for each undercarriage legs, that being the case my thoughts are that the price of the conversion kit would be in the mid £30's, which in my mind would be excellent value if the quality and detailing of the SLA parts is anything to go by.

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 2

Funnily enough it's a myth that the nose is too short on the Mach 2 kit. In.fact it's fractionally longer than the Airfix kit . The bigger problem is that the canopy is in the wrong place and wrong shape and that the engine intakes and wings are WAY too deep and thick

(Which creates an illusion that the kits nose is too short !)

Not bothered about the length of the nose. Having built one, the wing roots are the main problem. Once the wings are fitted to an acceptable standard, the nose need to be cut off and rotated to allow for the wing angles and cockpit.

• 3 weeks later...

Source: http://www.aim72.co.uk/page6.html

15th August 2016

Latest on the Valiant B2 conversion set:

The resin parts are now in production and the first metal castings were produced today.

The photographs below show the first assembled landing gear

(the landing gear pod still has the resin feed attached for convenient handling).

B2%20MUC-1.JPG

B2%20MUC-2.JPG

B2%20MUC-3.JPG

V.P.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived Friday. Unfortunately one of the u/c pods had a piece broken off around the forward u/c well and not obviously in the box.

Looks like some bubble wrap should be used rather than just left to move around the box.

Other than that they look excellent just awaiting a replacement from Hannants.

Enjoy

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, hopefully you'll get yours sorted very soon and I agree about the bubble wrap, especially as the box is so thin...I was half expecting the worst but luckily it was packed very well among a lot of other goodies from Hannants. !

I have a raft of other things to finish first unfortunately but it's definitely high on the list..