Birthday Shackleton - 1/72 Airfix MR2

I had a little money given me for my birthday a just before Christmas, so I indulged myself with the new Airfix Shackleton. I was off work for a month over Christmas, so this was my holiday build this year.

Completed out of the box as an aircraft from 204 Squadron because (a) not I am not good at painting white and (B) i am a bit of a white knuckle flyer myself!. Brush painted with Tamiya acrylics, except for the white which was from a Tamiya rattle can. Build thread can be found here.

​A thoroughly enjoyable build, except for maybe the white parts and the myriad of stencil decals. Thanks for looking.

​Inside before being buttoned up:

C10FBB24-6CF6-40D6-85E2-CCDF027AA9DA_zps

Completed article:

5840D4C8-054E-4CD5-8D42-B8B72E423D7D_zps

87D7B5F5-1ED6-4BEA-A583-C56B04A0EB6B_zps

302B7BCF-D39B-44C9-8DE9-8C7A91EB7C28_zps

1BB4C65C-3919-429B-BE0D-73BC1C092D60_zps

6ABE7150-70DD-4D6E-9439-BE63111E7D30_zps

7B1289ED-9F27-4A0E-8A48-186DF8BB941D_zps

9AFD2B30-5F1A-4140-89EB-4920D1151BA3_zps

And compared with the Dambuster Lancaster I built last year:

58A697CE-2570-4B75-8913-F85DC95F1C3A_zps

• Like 50

Very nice Simon,......you`ve done a great job and your Shack looks lovely. I`ve always liked this particular scheme myself and I`ll be building my first one in these markings myself,.....hope mine turns out as nice,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

You've done a lovely job there, Simon. Really attractive result.

I followed you build thread and it seems you had a far easier job than I hade with mine. It's amazing how the quality of different batches can vary - mine was a real struggle.

Looks great alongside the Lanc - the grandfather and young pretender...!

Tom

• Like 1

Very nice Simon,......you`ve done a great job and your Shack looks lovely. I`ve always liked this particular scheme myself and I`ll be building my first one in these markings myself,.....hope mine turns out as nice,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the kind comments Tony.

Nice work. Interesting to see parked next to a Lanc. The lineage is there to see.

Thanks, yes it is isn't it? I was surprised though how "tall" the Lancaster was compared to the Shackleton though.

Superb work Simon. Beautiful modelling. Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix.

You've done a lovely job there, Simon. Really attractive result.

I followed you build thread and it seems you had a far easier job than I hade with mine. It's amazing how the quality of different batches can vary - mine was a real struggle.

Looks great alongside the Lanc - the grandfather and young pretender...!

Tom

Thanks Tom. In the article in AMW Jen Wright talks about this model having pure "buildability" (albeit with some minor issues) - I think that pretty much sums it up for me. Its by no means perfect (the warped wing, and some fit issues with the engines), but this really didn't detract from the experience for me - A$ 85 well spent.

Lovely job Simon, well done mate B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - hope you are well on the mend now :-)

• Like 1

Hello Simon,

Enjoyed your contribution of this great aircraft.

Excellent finish.

Next one with the nose wheel (Mk3)

• Like 1