Tamiya 1/72 P-47d Hun Hunter XIV Finished

almac

Evening all. Got started on the above mentioned P-47 after spending ages deciding which one to do. I couldn't decide on razorback or bubbletop and then having decided on the razorback I had no clue as to which one I would do. Too much choice is not a good thing. Anyways I got started yesterday and made swift progress, this has to be the best fitting kit I have built. Every part just fits like it should, it's a joy to build (so far). This my first GB and it's fun so far. It's a good way to motivate me to keep making progress with the build.

Here are some pics of the build so far.

P1110024_zpshhfgtjj8.jpg

P1110026_zpsph93qv6s.jpg

P1110030_zpsmeyx8cz5.jpg

Today I got the wings together and glued on to the fuselage but no pics of that yet. The next few days are kind of busy so I don't think I'll get any more done this week unfortunately.

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

Nice start Allan! I'm also doing the Tamiya Razorback, however I have barely started.

Looking forward to see this one coming together.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. Once you get going you won't be disappointed it is a dream to build. Enjoy.

I realised I've not really set what I was going to do with this build. as the title says it's Hun Hunter XIV,decals are from Rising decals Thunderbolts over Corsica. I've never used Rising Decals so I hope they are ok to work with. Otherwise it's OOB with Eduard superfabric seatbelts and the canopy mask. The seatbelts are far easier to use than etch ones (for me anyway) and I always use a mask if they are available, saves a lot of time for me.

Cheers Allan

P1130003_zpswntmyqmo.jpgManaged a wee bit more modeling tonight. Continues tot be a fun build with only the insert for the guns not fitting great but I've seen worse and should tidy up easy enough. Anyways here some pics.

Cheers Allan

P1130005_zps6amfx2rx.jpg

• Like 5

That is looking nice and comming allong very fast. :thumbsup2:

Those inserts aren't the easiest ones to do I have had some trouble withsome other builds as well.

They are done to get the alignment for the mg holes correct, but they are a pain in the butt to get them to sit well. Luckely they are of quite thick plastic and you can sand it down. I have had Always trouble with them. :yikes:

Cheers,

Hi Allen, welcome to the build, and wow you are off to a flying start as well.

There is some lovely work there, well done.

Well good luck with the build, look forward to seeing the scheme you've chosen as well as seeing her completed in the gallery.

Evening all. Some more progress last night. Tidied up the poorly fitting gun inserts,made a start on the engine and got the canopy on which almost does not need glue it's that good a fit. Here's some pics.

P1160004_zpshlg5qlz9.jpgP1160001_zpstiihetvr.jpg

• Like 5

Evening all. Small bit of progress tonight with the canopy masks fitted. Hopefully I can get it primed tomorrow so I can start the fun part the NMF paint!

P1170004_zpsdflrcgym.jpg

Just noticed looking at this picture a couple of the masks are a wee bit squinty and need straightening. These pics certainly show up the mistakes,don't they?

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

Looking forward to seeing the paint go on. What are you going to use for the NMF?

Well I'm either going to use Talon acrylic aluminium or Citadel mithril silver. I was looking at some earlier builds and I'm not sure. I also used Revell aqua silver which doesn't look too bad as well. If this was the summer I fancy trying Humbrol metalcote 27001 but the garage is sub-zero just now and I don't fancy spraying this indoors.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Well I've finally made some more progress this afternoon. I used Talon acrylic aluminium for the NMF and I think it looks ok.

P1260014_zpsnwqmoi72.jpg

P1260015_zpsa80uegi2.jpgCheers Allan

• Like 4

Evening all. Wee bit more progress tonight with some of the markings applied. the yellow stripes will be edged with black decal. hopefully the weekend will see more progress.

P1260001_zpsmxcmsk5f.jpg

P1260010%201_zpskgrnzoyj.jpgCheers Allan

• Like 7

Very nice metal finish Allan, so smooth overall. What did you prime it with?

I primed it with Halfords grey primer which is an automotive primer in the UK. Once dried I buffed it with a cloth to smooth the finish. I think it is enamel,certainly smells like it,but dries quickly and gives a nice even surface for the paint. I'm debating whether I should try and give a few panels a different NMF to vary the finish. Not something I've done before but worth trying and hopefully I won't ruin what I've done so far.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Halfords must be good stuff. I see a lot of Britmodellrs using it. There is probably an equivalent here in the states, but I don't know what it is.

It looks pretty dang good as is Allan, but a nice smooth finish like that is an excellent base for variation! I'd worry a little about masking tape pulling up the paint though. I varied a metal finish last year using thinned white and black ink. I know that sounds weird, but it worked, and it could just be wiped off easily if I wasn't happy with it.