CASA C-101 Aviojet "Mirlo" 1/48 - Patrulla Aguila / finished!

exdraken

Hola everybody, you can't have enough models on the bench, can you?

CASA C-101 Aviojet "Mirlo" 1/48

resin kit

Spanish Air Force Academy San Javier air base

IMG_3850_2_1_zpsusqqftyb.jpg

bought already more than a year ago, but unfortunately not startet!

so next to my STGB entry of a Spanish Airforce F-5M, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994838-sf-5m-ae9-ala-23-spanish-air-force-148/ I thought I could easil(l)y start a second Spanish trainer!

it is the only C-101 in 1/48 anywhere available, and it is a low volume resin kit form a very dedicated enthusiast from Spain. He also does a C.295 and the C-101 in 1/72. Can be bought form his website or ebay.

here is what you get:

IMG_3850_1_1_zpsdbzl5hzk.jpg

lots of massive resin with very nice detail, 2 vacform canopies, a detailed cockpit, 2 ejection seats MB MK.10 an decals for Patrulla Aguila #7 and 2 standard trainer schemes. In Spain the jet is called Mirlo (blackbird) or sometimes culopollo...

IMG_3853_1_1_zpss5giuvbz.jpg

IMG_3855_1_1_zps4yp1kdgy.jpg

IMG_3856_1_1_zpsqt953jcz.jpgIMG_3857_1_1_zpsssjynhmk.jpg

nice and highly detailed decals!

IMG_3854_1_1_zpsrybhhmgm.jpg

I started to hollow out the tail so it might not be a tail-sitter in the end..

IMG_3859_1_1_zpsnlgc0wgc.jpg

so after a lot of dust, dry fit is quite nice!

IMG_3860_1_1_2_zpsbt000jbo.jpg

I have not decided on the scheme yet, so...

hope you like, it, thanks for comments and ideas! maybe someone has already built it??

Hasta pronto,

Cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 7

main fuselage parts joined, does not look so bad actually!

IMG_3860_1_1_2_zpsbt000jbo.jpg

IMG_3865_1_1_zpskemc8hf0.jpg

IMG_3867_1_1_zps84jo9ww9.jpg

of couse a little seam to tackle, but nothing like "looks good on one side but the other...."

quite pleased for now!

IMG_3869_1_1_zpsifuqutj5.jpg

don't want to loose detail so I put some tape next to the joints while sanding

• Like 1

Very cool and a bit nostalgic.

I've seen the Spanish aerobatics team a couple of times with their Aviojets and very much enjoyed the show. They're the only team I've seen that would perform in the pouring rain.

• Like 1

Nice

I love the subject. If I may where can I get myself one its in the right scale 1/48

Rgds

some mor info here as well:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963138-148-casa-c-101-aviojet-a-36-halcon-resin-kits-by-scratchaeronautics-released/?hl=scratchaeronautics

update:

IMG_3871_1_1_zpslclnpaau.jpg

wings only there for visual check,

the alternative "desktop model" canopy gives a good impression on the general shape of the aircraft! :) :)

IMG_3877_1_1_zps8wzoxbqo.jpg

How do you plan to clean the wheel wells? My copy has the same problem as yours with some excess of resin there. I am worried to break the wing...

no need to worry about the excess resin in the wheel wells, I just took a sharp knife and cut it away, it is not solidly combinded whit the wing , seems to just an a bit leaky form...

IMG_3884_1_1_zpsel3hng6b.jpg

IMG_3883_1_1_zps3yayyo4h.jpg

apart from that, wings are glued (wuite alot of superglue needed on a resin model!!!!!), a bit of sanding was necessary and eye judgement with the anhedral

but nothing too horrible :)

IMG_3878_1_1_zpsedf5zohf.jpg

IMG_3879_1_1_zpsgukgxppx.jpgIMG_3881_1_1_zpsbkj2a0k6.jpg

• Like 6

no need to worry about the excess resin in the wheel wells, I just took a sharp knife and cut it away, it is not solidly combinded whit the wing , seems to just an a bit leaky form...

Good to know this! My copy has two big blobs of resin there...It really seems as a leak, but on mine it has a good size.

some cockpit work:

IMG_3898_1_1_zpsjlu49nfh.jpg

some detail paintnig, a stick!! and maybe some decals from airscale?

IMG_3899_1_1_zpsqa8qkfvo.jpg

these are Martin Baker Mk.10, so I am sre I will find some in the stach that are more detailed, although with closed canopy I doubt that you would notice to much! actually the kit ones are quite nice, proportional and with some seat-belts even presentable!

next thing I really wonatd to know is what to expectfrom the vacform canopy... as this is a very important aspect if the final model has any resemblanc to the real plane!

so here my quick hand-held check:

IMG_3912_1_1_zpsb2ggkbu0.jpg

IMG_3915_1_1_zpsewlffbar.jpg

IMG_3918_1_1_zpspnwem2q1.jpg

to my eyes, it really looks the part! what do you think?

• Like 1

hola Centollaman!

gracias!

I do not exactly know what you mean that should be corrected with the nose, but I took a little bit away here:

IMG_3963_1_1_2_zpsudj9ywbh.jpg

better?

apart from that , I found 2 ejection seats form renaissance flight which seem to be perfect!

IMG_3902_1_1_zpsyrbei5ll.jpg+

IMG_3923_1_1_zpsbkuwppod.jpg

best regards, Werner

Tracking the process ....you got good progress going on there....

Thanks to your assistants ....I got two kits purchased one is this and a cn-235.

Hope to see yours done soon

Best Regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't always check out 1/48 builds, but when I saw 'CASA C-101 Aviojet' I just had to have a look. Very pleased I did, looks like a very nice kit. Always fancied a Patrulla Aguila Aviojet in the collection. I limit myself to only doing 1/72 scale kits, so I was pleased to see one available.

I'm afraid my Spanish is non-existant so I couldn't make out much of the Ebay Spain web site. However, I did manage to work out which kit has the decals for a standard Patrulla Aguila machine.

Could anyone help me out please? Does it contain any decals to help with the red/yellow/silver colour scheme?, as I think I may struggle to mask it up and paint it myself.

The C-212 Aviocar looks tempting too, at only a few more Euro's than the 'jet.

Will follow this with interest. All the best.

• Like 1

I'm afraid my Spanish is non-existant so I couldn't make out much of the Ebay Spain web site. However, I did manage to work out which kit has the decals for a standard Patrulla Aguila machine.

Could anyone help me out please? Does it contain any decals to help with the red/yellow/silver colour scheme?, as I think I may struggle to mask it up and paint it myself.

thanks Smudge!

this seems to be the 1/72 equivalent of my kit

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/MODELO-DEL-CASA-C-101-AVIOJET-ESCALA-1-72-RESINA-DE-POLIURETANO-/252269137780?hash=item3abc698f74:g:F5AAAOxyBvZTRcOz

and this i sthe decal image fom that site:

$_57.JPG

so you get decals for 3 mashines, 2 flight school and one Patrulla Aguila #7

no specific instrucion or decals on how to paint the red/yellow/silver colour seperation unfortunately. but lots of pics online!

instructions are mor phots than text (1/48) and if I remember correctly Juan Begines (the poducer) offers English or Spanish text as you wish. actually not necessary at al, as the kit is very straight forward! Resin experince is definietly required or learned on the job :)

if you need any further help, don't hasitate to contact me!

best regards,

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

back to the kit!

:D

sprayed the interior very dark grey as base color:

IMG_4102_1_1_zpsnfxflsfl.jpg

and the gear bays in Humbrol Metal Cote, as well as som exterior parts to get an idea about how shiny the surface would be:

IMG_4106_1_1_zpsvyemitjl.jpg

IMG_4109_1_1_zpsre4rvg71.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind replies to my post for info/help. Shame about the decals (although what you do get looks very comprehensive), I will order one anyway. If the display team markings prove too much for me I can always do a standard machine.

Nice work so far exdraken, looking good.

• Like 1

Nice build of a nice kit! It looks reasonably detailed OOB but the IP clocks are on the big side perhaps?

Always liked this plane, looks like a kindergarten Phantom. Btw I looked up 'culopollo' and lost it for a while...

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind replies to my post for info/help. Shame about the decals (although what you do get looks very comprehensive), I will order one anyway. If the display team markings prove too much for me I can always do a standard machine.

Nice work so far exdraken, looking good.

To be honest, it's not much worse than when you do Patrouille de France or Diablo Rouges Fouga Maigster/Alpha Jets. Just use masking tape, take your time, and maybe make a mask too.

back to the kit!

:D

sprayed the interior very dark grey as base color:

and the gear bays in Humbrol Metal Cote, as well as som exterior parts to get an idea about how shiny the surface would be:

Can you do us all a favour and keep a list of what paints you use for the model? As you're the first here to brave it - and we all want to make one :P

• Like 1