English Electric Lighting F.3 XP753 74 Tigers Squadron 1/48 Airfix

At Sea

Hello everyone!

My project for this group build is a subject that had suggested itself to me before the GB came up, but fits so well.

The medium is the Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.3 made from the F.1 / 1a / 3 kit.

For this I plan to keep it British, using only Humbrol paints and OOB apart from the decal option (the reason for this will become clear shortly).

The aircraft I will build is XP753.

XP753 was the Lightning piloted by Fl.Lt. Mike Thompson who in August 1983 was denied permission to carryout a display over Scarbrough and by all accounts proceeded to do so anyway, resulting in a fatal accident.

Mike was the Lightning Display Pilot for '83 and it was a sad accident for the pilot & aircraft.

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/73801-xs937-m-crash.html#post704442

I did some digging and found that using the firestreak decal sheet I have to build the LPG Lightning F.6 I can also modify XR753 to read XP753 by the deft application of a scalpel.

I can use these serials and the kit decals to make a 74 Squadron F.3 as XP753.

So my plan is to build the kit as XP753 in much happier times as she was in 74 Sq in the 1960's.

image.jpeg

Part of the reason for going 'All Airfix' is to prove to myself what is still possible without Tamiya paints and eduard masks and cockpits, also it would seem a little sad to celebrate a British aircraft by building a Japanese kit with Czech finishing details etc etc.

The build is also in memorial to all the pilots who lost their lives in this great aircraft.

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to your progress and RFI for this project. I read the entire PPRuNe thread on this and it's quite fascinating (and sad). Some very clear and concise recollections there, definitely as a result of their training!

• Like 1

Yes, the quality of the recollections show not only the level of training these guys had, but also the impact of the events.

When you think that the RAF lost 1/3 of all Lightnings, and the number of pilots who died in 'planned' ejections the whole RAF community on the East Coast must have been on tenterhooks every time a gear down failure or engine fire was reported.

The Crowood aviation series book on the Lightning has been excellent background reading for this.

• 1 month later...

Right, got started on this last night watching BBC4 music night.

Never built an Airfix Lightnign before and was pleasantly surprised by the surface detail and the fit.

Looks like it will go together well even if is is blighted by the 'soft' feeling plastic whoch Airfix like but I am not so taken with.

There aren't many bits in the box, and I tend to get stuck in once I am on a roll so apologies if I don't post a blow by blow account of my build.

Here is the start, with the selected decals, note I still need to trim 23 squadron's XR753 to 74 squadron's XP753.

image_76.jpeg

• Like 3

Euro cents. Best way to use up left over holiday / business trip change.

10 Euro cents fit down the nose of a 1/48 Revell Tornado. :-)

• Like 2

Euro cents. Best way to use up left over holiday / business trip change.

10 Euro cents fit down the nose of a 1/48 Revell Tornado. :-)

You learn something new every day!

This is looking to be a 'one to watch', especially as I have one in the stash.

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 2

image_80.jpeg

Fuselage zipped up.

Went together well but had to be very very careful, a little warped so needed plenty of Tamiya tape & straegic pinching.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in updating, not much done since, but it is now silver thanks to Humbrol Metal cote aluminium.

I used a base of white primer and then criss crossed black primer spray over the aircraft to give it a more realistic NMF finish.

Dried yesterday, clear went down tonight... Pics coming.

I also used copydex and baco-foil to do the nose ring...

• Like 1

Metal cote aluminium on the fuselage and steel on the jet pipes.

image_83.jpeg

Baco foil intake ring.

image_85.jpeg

And from the top.

image_84.jpeg

• Like 1

And I use Metalcote aluminium and steel aerosol for my Phantoms too, careful masking and I think it makes a very realistic finish, the steel does need polishing once on, goes on matt dark grey but polished up lovely with a bit of dry rag.

image_56.jpeg

No Phantom action yet... Weather has been good enough to cycle lots.

Black mike will be my next project, once I get home again end of april.

Excuses, excuses.

I think Im just going to use 2 of the 4 I have here - A Falklands light grey machine (if I can find decals) and the Wrong Un as that will cover the F, the G and the R is already built. Think I got carried away with buying Tooms......