Tamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D - 'Phyl Darlin' 2Z-J, Lt Robert E Wagner - #FINISHED#

Thanks for your interest and the comments gents. I finished the fuselage and undersides earlier today and there are just a few single/double lines to add now.

That looks amazing John, how difficult were they to align?

This set was designed to fit the Tamiya kit Cookie so they align very well and any issues are due to end user error. One area where I have caused a problem is on the spine and it would be wise to leave this decal until the fuselage sides have been completed to avoid the alignment problem that I have created. This is more noticeable at present due to the black paint but I am hoping that once the top layer goes on it will be less visible.

• Like 4

Just a mini update showing the model as things stand at present.

The majority of the rivet decals are on, I don't intend to add those for the control surfaces because I feel that there is enough detail on the kit in this area. As stated in the previous post any alignment issues are of my own making and the spine decal in particular should be a bit closer to the fin than it is. This would lead to a reduced gap to the fuselage side decals.

The cold light of day has also highlighted the fact that the nose decal is sitting a little lower than it should be, my fault again. The panel line that HGW want you to apply the decal to is quite clear but my ageing eyes failed to pick it up. All of these issues are exacerbated by the black paint and I am hoping that they will be reduced when the Metal Color paint goes on.

DSC00478_zpsxytdlltm.jpg

DSC00479_zpsuvzepvmv.jpg

DSC00481_zpsooyg6e4h.jpg

• Like 3

you have my complete admiration for the work you have done....are far braver sole than I!!

It actually looks good just as it is, it's a shame you have to paint it...if you get what I mean!

• Like 2

Mrs N was out having her hair done this morning so I grasped the nettle and was able to get some Satin Aluminium airbrushed over the rivet details.

DSC00497_zpsqigfjs6r.jpg

DSC00496_zpss6utex48.jpg

​Did the rivet decal stand up to a top coat? Well, judge for yourselves - here are some shots of the upper and lower surfaces of one wing. The layers followed this order Mr Surfacer/Black Primer/Rivet Decal/Topcoat.

DSC00487_zpszrbmmrmj.jpg

DSC00491_zpsby8xo4cb.jpg

Finally, the lower surface of the tailplane and the decal in this case was between the Mr Surfacer and the Black Primer.

DSC00490_zps1zqjvqtc.jpg

DSC00489_zpscii20yry.jpg

Do I think that this was worth the effort in 1/72nd scale? Well, for me, the jury is still out - because the rivets are quite close together in some areas I feel that it gives a dusty appearance to the surface. That said it does look effective where there are fewer rows of rivets. I would like to try them again but next time on something in a larger scale and that's an area that I don't often venture to, so it would have to be rather special.

• Like 4

Well it does look good, but I imagine we would need photos, like yours, or maybe we'll have to

come around your house, to see it properly,

Sean

• Like 2

Hi John,

I guess this is now official: you have the patience of a Saint!!!

Good grief John, have you had laser surgery, wear 3 pairs of glasses, or are you just plain bionic (how boring!).

I am absolutely speechless at what you have achieved. And this is coming from someone who frantically grabs the wet'n dry when a rivet is found on a kit!!!

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks once again for the comments fellas.

Jean,

Not quite bionic eyesight yet, but I did have an eye test recently which led to a change of glasses. It's amazing how sharp things become when your vision is corrected.

I remember having my eyes tested about 4 weeks after my wife and I were married. I went to the opticians to pick up my very first pair of spectacles and my wife was at home waiting to see how I would look with them on. I walked in to the house and went along the hallway and into the kitchen, where she was waiting in anticipation, and I said 'Good grief, I haven't married you have I?'.

I am pleased to say that she took it all in good part and that, after 33 years of similar banter, we are still happily married.

• Like 5

Thanks once again for the comments fellas.

Jean,

Not quite bionic eyesight yet, but I did have an eye test recently which led to a change of glasses. It's amazing how sharp things become when your vision is corrected.

I remember having my eyes tested about 4 weeks after my wife and I were married. I went to the opticians to pick up my very first pair of spectacles and my wife was at home waiting to see how I would look like with them on. I walked in to the house and went along the hallway and into the kitchen, where she was waiting in anticipation, and I said 'Good grief, I haven't married you have I?'.

I am pleased to say that she took it all in good part and that, after 33 years of similar banter, we are still happily married.

" I wish I'd had these 4 weeks earlier!"... :evil_laugh:

Sean

• Like 1

Me too - it was our 33rd Anniversary yesterday, and also happily married... although that didn't stop be doing the "If I'd murdered her instead I'd be a free man by now" joke. Always goes down well...

• Like 2

Me too - it was our 33rd Anniversary yesterday, and also happily married... although that didn't stop be doing the "If I'd murdered her instead I'd be a free man by now" joke. Always goes down well...

I've used that one as well Ced - congratulations to you both for yesterday.

• Like 1

I'm happy to report that the 'Great Rivet Experiment' is approaching a conclusion, I can hear the sighs of relief now. :winkgrin: This afternoon​ I was able to get the last of the rivet decals on over the fin and upper tailplane surfaces and once again these have now been left to dry before the foil/film covering is removed later. I must admit that, due to the aluminium colour, I did have a struggle trying to see these and found that the surface that the decal was being applied to, had to be angled just right before I was able to check that I had them lined up properly.

Once the film is removed and any adhesive has been cleaned off I will make a decision on the topcoat for these. At the moment I'm not sure if another coat of aluminium will be required or if a clear coat will suffice, there are a few areas to touch up on the fin, so maybe a coat of aluminium will be the way to go.

DSC00501_zps063rrse8.jpg

The olive drab has been added to the fuselage and the painting on the engine cowling is almost complete. I did consider using the decal provided in the Kits-World set for the black and blue stripes but decided that they wouldn't match the French Blue on the front and so masked off before brush painting them. The canopy frames have to be painted French Blue and then, after some clear, I should be ready to make a start on adding the markings and stencils.

DSC00502_zpsngjivolr.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work on the rivets John, that's a great experiment, and the scheme is looking great too, with the blue on the cowl.

Cheers Cookie, I am quite amazed at how well they show up in the above photo. Under certain lighting they are barely visible, but they definitely come through in that shot.

• Like 1

The rivets are fascinating! I wonder if they will make a set for the Airfix Seaking, and if they do will it be before or after I experiment with one of those little roller wheels riveting tools!

• Like 1