Modern Russian apron concrete block size

Mike

I've just finished building my Mig-31 and was considering building her a base to give a sense of scale. I notice that modern Russian airfield hard-standing is laid in concrete blocks that are rectangular. Does anyone have any figures for the size of these? I'm also interested in dimensions and/or pictures of the blast deflectors that you see behind them on the base. I have a few pics already myself, but nothing that would give me any numbers to base a... base on :hmmm:

Might have answered my own question here, but I scaled something out from a photo, and got a size of 6m x 2m. Can anyone confirm? I'll do some more searching for the design of the blast deflector though :)

Superb! Thanks :) Now I just need to track down some better pics of the blast deflectors (the fabricated ones, not the bodged ones in those pics), and we're away! :yahoo:

Now I have the reference, a quick Google showed up that Armory do some blocks, but ICM also do a set in 1:48 and 1:72, which covers 555x333mm :) Order placed, and that's saved me quite a bit of work... now I just need a suitable frame, some putty to act as mastic, and a bit of DAS in case I get the urge to splurge and use my Grassinator built for me by my mate Dan. The texture on the blocks would have been quite hard to do justice TBH, so I'm glad I found 'em - thanks for the clue Kotey :)

• Like 1

Looking at some google maps pics of Savalsleyka (Саваслейка) they don't seem to have much in terms of revetments but operate from a flightline.

Some links that might be of interest:

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/28020/

http://www.airforce.ru/content/reportazhi-1/699-aviabaza-savasleikaa-22-yanvarya-2013-g/

http://egolovach.livejournal.com/23233.html

FWIW, I did a revetment for my Trumpeter 1/32 scale Su-27 a few years back.

Lots of 'clutter' - including a fire-point with a sandbox and buckets/axes etc.

Almost compulsory is at least a bicycle or two.......

trumpflank_34.jpg

I added a few boxes and some spare tires - plus some 'remove before flight' covers - which are normally tied together like bunting.

There's also a dolly with some missiles - and the brake parachute is being loaded at the rear.

Not exactly a MiG-31 - but it might generate some ideas....

Ken

• Like 1

Hi, Mike.

Possibly of interest to you.... ICM do a box of 1/48th scale Soviet airfield rectangular ground sections.

Hannants have them in at the mo' and they are £8.99 a box. The part code is ICM48231. You get about sixteen sections in all, if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers.

Chris.