Airfix 1/76 Cromwell IV

SimonL

With my holiday build of a Shackleton almost done, time to clear a few others from the self of doom.

Not sure why I picked this up, I think I was inspired by the build in AMW. Anyone, it has sat partially complete for the last year or more.

GEDC0325_zpsnk2ez5ka.jpg

Inspiration to complete this came about by finding the custom mix of green paint I put together to complete her.

I blue tacked some lead sinkers to the bottom to give her a bit of weight.

GEDC0326_zps7sykif2a.jpg

And in no time at all almost a complete tank! I think I was partly put off by the rather large sprue gates, but my newish nippers made short work of them.

GEDC0327_zpszwdheovw.jpg

GEDC0329_zpszip07gmw.jpg

In the background above my almost complete Shackleton:

GEDC0333_zps8yirbihd.jpg

Just some touches of paint and then the markings and weathering. Once complete, it will be my first tank!

• Like 3

Hi Simon. That looks excellent. I made one of these about a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you want to see a possible way forward with the finish check out vindicareassassin's RFI for his build of this kit here. It's rather good!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Mish, hope to get it finished tomorrow.

As for the Cromwell, I gave it a couple of coats of floor polish and then applied the decals. Bit easier than the decals on the Shackleton! Only issue was the star on the top of the turret, it needed a couple of applications of Tamiya acrylic thinners to get it to settle down over the raised detail,

9D9DFA3E-0915-4B24-9DC7-26FCBFD087AA_zps

I used a mixture black and brown water colours with a bit of soapy water to act as a wash to highlight the detail:

12DBEBEF-FCDA-4EC3-AC5D-40D451C44F89_zps

03152C9D-6393-4055-A2E7-F8FC192BD11D_zps

I have added the hedgerow cutter as well, although I gather this was not used operationally. This was because I had lost one of the parts from the front so this kind of hid that. I kind of like the effect as well.

A little bit of detail painting, a coat of Humbrol matt cote and then a coat of Italeri flat coat, a couple of shoe brush bristle antenna and she is all done!

7AC63CBB-098C-4D34-83FD-C96EB49378BD_zps

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 2