1/32nd Trumpeter RAF Harrier GR.5

Piero

Hello,

there’s much talking about 1/32nd Trumpeter Harrier on the forum lately.

How much is good, how much is bad.

As has been mentioned by others, there are around on this forums or other sites some reviews, criticism and tips on how to approach the individual (many) faults and problems of this kit.

However, I am in the final stages of the construction of my fourth Trumpy Harrier, a GR.5 this time.

Here some recent pics of the painting phase.

GR5_2.jpg

GR5_3.jpg

GR5_4.jpg

GR5_5.jpg

GR5_6.jpg

CIAO!

Piero

P.S.: Sorry, no more Harrier resin sets are available at the moment.

• Like 7

Hello,

thanks for your comments!

The GR.5 will be finished with 1(F) Squadron unit markings.

Just a couple of pictures to show the demarcation line between the NATO Green and Lichen Green.

GR5_8.jpg

GR5_9.jpg

I've already started to apply some dark washing.

GR5_10.jpg

CIAO!

Piero

P.S.: Ciao Paolè! Come stai, tutto bene tra i tulipani? Un abbraccione!!!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Another masterpiece! makes my build time look like a snails pace!

Couple of questions if I may?

Did you hand paint the stencils?

Have you mixed your two green colours from Tamiya paint?

The fronts of the gun pod blanks are light green not the same colour as the horns on a GR7, and they are one colour (as in one piece)

The gun pods are FAR too clean !

Not all GR5's carried a centre line pylon....

Steve

Another masterpiece! makes my build time look like a snails pace!

Couple of questions if I may?

Did you hand paint the stencils?

Have you mixed your two green colours from Tamiya paint?

The fronts of the gun pod blanks are light green not the same colour as the horns on a GR7, and they are one colour (as in one piece)

The gun pods are FAR too clean !

Not all GR5's carried a centre line pylon....

Steve

Hi Steve,

thank you for your comment!

Regarding your questions:

Stencils are not hand painted. Most of the black stencils for the two-tone greens camouflage are available with the Harrier Retirement Decal sheet from Airframe (ZG506). Yellow stencils and bi-language "rescue" arrows... you have to look around... try with some cut&paste from RAFG Tornado stencils in 48th scale... :coolio:

The greens are mix-custom-formula using Gunze paint. NATO Green is a mix of H309 and H405. Lichen Green is a mix of H320 and H70. You have to try some before obtain the "right" shade.

About the front cap of the Aden gun pods... the color is a buff-yellowish shade... as showed by many pictures of the real GR.5s

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/British-Aerospace-Harrier/2573912/L/&sid=f5aac8c05cc10c3c32466f692170ae97

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/British-Aerospace-Harrier/0722089/L/

http://sg-etuo.de/Visiting-Aircraft/RAF-SAOEU?userlang=en

Maybe the pod are too clean... yeah!

Finally, ZD408 "my GR.5" had the centraline pylon fitted...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132337785@N03/22611291798

CIAO!

Piero

P.S.: Pictures are not mine. All credits by the autors. Pictures are used only for reference.

Thanks Piero, I bow to your references!, however the Cannon port blanks on 4 Sqn were definitely light green foam plugs (never any guns actually fitted to the pods as they never finished them!

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/uploads/1/decals_af218-4.jpgmost of the stencils on here are for grey aircraft, did you re-colour items like the no walk footprint (as on green harriers they were red with black crosses, and also the area around the re-fuelling point is black, on grey harriers its dark grey?

I hated fitting centre line pylons, filthy oily job!

Steve

Next will be the Mk.12H bang-seat...

Are these of any use Piero?

Snapshot%2021.jpgSnapshot%2022.jpg

Snapshot%2023.jpgSnapshot%2024.jpg

It's all very much work in progress but I hope it will give you a feeling for the main structures. In the CAD, it takes me forever to "bend" a pipe or cable segment along a path (simply because establishing the path involves looking at lots of different pictures) whereas it is relatively simple to model. On the other hand, combining blocks and cylinders etc is much easier in the CAD than in resin. Ignore the detail of the seat back too. I think the one I measured is from a Mk10L and is a bit smaller than the one in the Mk.12 - hence the "bleed through" of the oxygen cylinder and NBC blower in the pictures. In real life, the seat back fully covers these. Right hand side is a bit dodgy too - I've a fair bit of work to do on all the linkages for the manual over-ride and Safe lever.

What I hope will be useful is the angle of the Personal Equipment Connector on the left side of the pan - quite different to that found on earlier seats.

Let me know if there are any particular angles you want - it's easy as pie to to a screen shot.

Kirk

Edited by Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

thanks to everybody for compliments and help!

A little progress on this GR.5 model, pylons and load has been glued under the wings and ventral point.

GR5_16.jpg

Still some little parts, as antennas and clear lights, needs to be fitted.

GR5_17.jpg

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 9