1/72 - Rutan 151 Ares resin kit by Sharkit - released

Homebee

Hey the molding looks quite clean. I always avoided Sharkit because of pictures I found on the web of older kits. This does look quite nice, though a bit pricey. Would like to see the cockpit details - the seat seems to be verrrry simplified.

Caerbannog,

Renaud's casting quality has always been quite good. I've got a number of his earlier renderings and the quality of the resin pours is excellent. These are not "shake & bake" kits and almost all of them require a bit of scratchbuilding to adequately finish. Nothing unique about that and nor is any of it beyond the abilities of folks with a couple of resin kits built and on their shelves.

Of late his resin casting has improved in its layout and sophistication. But even his earlier works are very nicely done.

• 5 weeks later...

"Messerschmitt 263. The plane that would have won Germany the war"

Don't know about that but this was the real super weapon in Iron Eagle III (probably the main reason other than the Rutan to see that :shit: fest of a film)

RachelMclish-IronEagle.gif

Nobody else picked 172Flogger's hint, what a pity... :(

Mine came today, ordered from Renaud direct, about 7 days to get to me, which isn't bad. The resin feels rougher than that of, say, Anigrand, a complexion like sandpaper, but it should smooth down with some micro mesh. The cockpit is sparse, just a simple seat and one piece floor/back wall / control panel, the latter having some detail. The fit of this into the fuselage is outstanding, no trimming at all and it fits the asymmetrical fuselage curves perfectly. I'll have to find an ejector seat out if something else to put in it, though there is little in the way of reference material for the cockpit save a YouTube video. The decal sheets (x2) are tiny, and depending which scheme you go for, will decide how much intricate masking will be needed ....or not. The instruction sheet is non existent, just a couple of side views and a parts list, though it's easy to work out where things go. I'll be building mine wheels up, so I'll have to fashion undercarriage bay doors somehow. I may also look at drilling the intake out and putting a fan in there, adding an exhaust pipe, and fashioning the gun muzzle out of tubing.

Recent photos show some modifications have been made to the real ARES, lots of lumps and bumps added and painted overall white. I must be in a Rutan phase at the moment as I've also recently bought the A Model White Knight/SS1 and Global Flyer to go with the Voyager. At some point I hope to get a Long - EZ and the wonderful Proteus from Unicraft... Just wish someone would do White Knight 2 / SS2 in 72 scale too please!