If Airfix were to re-tool more of their old kits, what should they be?

Scott_

Personal cliché time....

an accurate Hurricane in 1/48th and 72nd....

I don't see a retooled Mk.I anytime soon,  but the first Airfix kit was a Mk.IV and rockets or 40 mm guns options makes for dramatic box art... ;)

1957AMHurricaneIVchatff4h1phantom.jpg~or

the art above looks considerably more accurate than the 1957 kit :rolleyes: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I forgot to mention the Dinah earlier, although still happy to build the original, a re-tool would be very nice! Lovely looking aeroplane.

Oh! And the Ju-88 pur-lease! I still remember being horrified the first time I tried to tackle one in 1981. Lovely clear parts that fitted seamlessly if I remember correctly :poop:

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The calls for a re-tooled Bristol Bulldog got me looking at the few I have in the stash. They're all red stripe bagged kits from first release (1969?) For it's age, it looks to be a really nice looking kit with some very fine looking details. What's it like to build?

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

The calls for a re-tooled Bristol Bulldog got me looking at the few I have in the stash. They're all red stripe bagged kits from first release (1969?) For it's age, it looks to be a really nice looking kit with some very fine looking details. What's it like to build?

Why not crack one open and have a go? Being first release examples they should be nice crisp moldings. 

Alternatively send one to me and I'll let you know! :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IanC said:

Why not crack one open and have a go? Being first release examples they should be nice crisp moldings. 

Alternatively send one to me and I'll let you know! :lol:

I fully intend to! I've just had too much in the queue beforehand....roughly four lifetimes worth of kits to build first!

If I do decide one is surplus to requirements...I'll let you know. Rather they get built that collect dust in the stash. :thumbsup:

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

(Yeeees, I'm one of those pesky non aircraft modeller's that waste your precious bandwidth :) )

Well now, in a word, CARS!!!!!!.

I know I have more chance of meeting a Klingon, but it would be nice to see all the 32nd scale cars retooled. And while they are at it, maybe they can get a wiggle on doing the 16th and 8th scale Motorbikes as well.

Harking back to my yufe... the 1/600 scale ships would be quite nice too. I used to love building them.

Oh and the 72nd scale Scorpion too :) 

Keeping it to sensible suggestions that should make Airfix plenty of money:-

My number one choice - crying out for a re-tool would have to be the Mosquito. 

Type%204%20D.H.%20Mosquito.jpg

And having seen the amazing shots of the upcoming Wellington, just think of what Airfix could do to the Sunderland

sundbt.jpg

Next, given that the B-17 seems to be making decent sales given the release of the Fortress III, surely a B-24 would make sense, especially given the RAF and Coastal Command options available.

Type%203%20B-24%20Liberator%20(box%20art

Finally, something to add to their 1950s collection

Type%204%20BAC%20Canberra.jpg

• Like 3

Almost all the 1/32 cars. The latest ones are ok as are the ones from the '70s [MG Magnette, Alfa Romeo etcetera] but the vintage cars and the every-day cars of the '60s need re-doing

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I always thought "retool" meant modifying an existing mould, whereas "new tool" meant a new mould. So which old Airfix kit would I like retooled? None of them! New tools for me, please.

Whilst I agree with you I did take the post title to mean - make a new up to date mould of -

3 hours ago, Scott_ said:

And having seen the amazing shots of the upcoming Wellington, just think of what Airfix could do to the Sunderland

sundbt.jpg

Given that Italeri and Special Hobby versions have major inaccuracies, Airfix could do well to learn from that, and do a new tool

Sunderland, bit of a asking stretch, but both a Mk III and Mk V/MR5 would be awesome - you can't make a one size fits all Sunderland.

On a down memory lane wish list - models I had or Dad had when I was younger

1/72 aircraft models : I would like to see a C130 Hercules (H model would be nice....) Bristol 170 Freighter (Mk 31would also be nice)

Strikemaster (Mk 88.....) PBY 5 Catalina, Grumman Gosling, TBD Devatator

If we were to jump in aircraft Scale (if allowable) the 1/24 scale series would be great - Hurricane maybe a tweak but

Spitfire/Me109 etc would be great with wheel wells etc.

AFV models: Matilda, Panzer IV, DUKW

Ships - Historical sailing ships: HMS Shannon, Golden Hind

WWI-WWII: HMS Warspite/Nelson, HMS Manxman

Lots of others too numerous to mention ^_^

Regards

Alan

Airfix could start a retool of the Sunderland NOW, and they'd still beat Special Hobby to the release ...

With you, Alan, on both Mk III and Mk V, and also the Catalina (with the right sized cowls, unlike the Academy one) and the Frightener.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/8/2018 at 1:14 PM, LDSModeller said:

Given that Italeri and Special Hobby versions have major inaccuracies, Airfix could do well to learn from that, and do a new tool

Sunderland, bit of a asking stretch, but both a Mk III and Mk V/MR5 would be awesome - you can't make a one size fits all Sunderland.

If we were to jump in aircraft Scale (if allowable) the 1/24 scale series would be great - Hurricane maybe a tweak but Spitfire/Me109 etc would be great with wheel wells etc.

IMO a Sunderland with a full interior, some better engineering and finer exterior detail than the Italeri offering and maybe even a masking set for the windows could be a real flagship kit for Airfix.

And I agree with a 1/24th Spitfire - either a new tool of something like a Mk.VIII or Mk.IX (not really on topic) or a retool of the Mk.1 which I would imagine would be a perpetual cash cow.

Edited by Scott_

On 07/03/2018 at 8:33 PM, k5054nz said:

I always thought "retool" meant modifying an existing mould, whereas "new tool" meant a new mould. So which old Airfix kit would I like retooled? None of them! New tools for me, please.

"Retool" - to replace and re-equip for the purposes of revising and/or improving/updating."

No offence but, 'new tools " is exactly what you're getting and exactly what Airfix did with the kits which have replaced  earlier items ( Lancaster, Blenheim IV, Defiant,Wellington etc)😉

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Thanks Allan, I stand corrected.

No worries mate!!. :thumbsup:        "Re-tool" is obviously open to interpretation. I agree with Stevehnz above. Perhaps the discussion should have been re-too.......!!!! SORRY - RE-TITLED!! Whatever, I agree with you on new tools by the way. Perhaps with some reissues?

Allan.

• Like 2