If Airfix were to re-tool more of their old kits, what should they be?

Scott_

Fairey Battle for me, thanks. :shutup:

In 1/48 please........could also be part of their Battle of Britain collection. Would go well with the Defiant. :)

Giving it further thought, I'd also like to see them retool their 1/72 Roland C.II

It's a distinct gap in the 1/72 WWI roster of kits and I can't figure out why neither Roden nor Eduard have done one in the scale to this point in time.

It looks like Airfix's old kit is still the only game in town for the subject in the scale and the road is wide open for them to better their own effort on it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Further confirmation from the latest Airfix Workbench that the 1/48 Buccaneer is done in:

"The Westland Lynx may well make a comeback in the coming years, the tooling for the Buccaneer however, means that it probably won't. One to hang onto in the stash!"

All the more reason for it to be redone I say!

• Like 2

Dare I suggest that the 1/72 F-86 could do with a makeover? It has quite a few shape issues and with a bit of thought a LONG sought-after F-86A with slats could be a useful addition to the range as well as being a popular issue. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2016 at 10:59 PM, Rob G said:

The dH88 Comet. Long past time that we had an affordable 72nd kit of this beauty. Debate its 'success' as much as you like, it's a beautiful bit of aviation history. I'd buy 5. One in 48th would be nice too.

And dare I say it, the 4.5l Bentley. A new-tool kit of that would be a really good thing (albeit expensive).

check out AZ/KP models, they've got a whole series of kits coming out, see the thread on this site.

Lysander

Hampden

Val

Battle

Auster

Hart/Demon

Bristol Freighter

Anson

Harvard II

Harvard II

Harvard II

Harvard II

Harvard II

.....And Harvard II (ta muchly!)

I reckon a few of the above are viable. Probably not the Freighter, but I can dream I suppose.

I wonder if Airfix read these threads? I do hope so. If so......

HARVARD II!!

Yours sincerely;

H. Arvard II

Edited by fightersweep
Harvard II
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

F-27 in military & civilian versions, Bristol freighter ditto, Hunter, tooled to allow the whole family. Islander/Defender, F-5A/B,  F5E/F, Hs123, Yak9,  Whirlwind - vtol & twin engined, G-91,  Harvard, Auster. Lots of other subjects spring to mind as seen in this thread however I feel most of them would be pointless as other companies cover them usually at a lower price than the increasingly expensive Airfix would appear at.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 3

Would agree with the Auster. So many still fly and I personally would love a decent kit of any or all the family. The AZ Models was fine but oversize interior framework and thick clear part could be done better. Also I reckon that lots of their early kits done as new tools would be great, Grumman Gosling/Widgeon, Supermarine S6B, WW1 types, 'Tween the wars types, post war NATO jets and so many others....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Lysander

Hampden

Val

Battle

Auster

Hart/Demon

Bristol Freighter

Anson

Harvard

Harvard

Harvard

Harvard

Harvard

.....And Harvard (ta muchly!)

I reckon a few of the above are viable. Probably not the Freighter, but I can dream I suppose.

Definitely the Harvard:smile:

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Definitely the Harvard:smile:

Absolutely! I want an Airfix gift set that contains a Harvard II with paints, glue, markings for Gary Numan's Harvard circa 1986 and a signed vinyl copy of The Pleasure Principle. There, sign me up for the Airfix marketing team!

(Seriously though, a new Airfix Harvard would cause a meltdown for the after market decal bods!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Dare I suggest that the 1/72 F-86 could do with a makeover? It has quite a few shape issues and with a bit of thought a LONG sought-after F-86A with slats could be a useful addition to the range as well as being a popular issue. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Oh my for a proper F-86A in all scales!

• Like 3

How about that weird Blohm & Voss thing?........preferably in 1/48.

I found a piece of the 1/72 version when I was digging my mother's garden,I used to have fun with old kits & fireworks when I was slightly less responsible than I am now!:D

Andrew

• Haha 4

A new tool Herc would be nice... ok, let’s throw in the Bloodhound and Landy as well. Real life Hercules worldwide sales are huge, so how would this not translate somehow to the plastic kit market? 

And another big nod for a new Harvard, Fairy Battle and Hart family. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Oh my for a proper F-86A in all scales!

Yes! And with decals that shy away from the predictable Korean War schemes. Then a version of each with parts for Haymaker RF-86As... Well we can dream.

21 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Yes! And with decals that shy away from the predictable Korean War schemes. Then a version of each with parts for Haymaker RF-86As... Well we can dream.

Yes, the Arco Jets would be a nice start, and some of the ANG units.

3 hours ago, spaddad said:

Islander/Defender

I was thinking just the other day how much we could do with a new tool Islander/Defender series kit, a major type much overlooked.

The Buccaneer is something else that I would like to see Airfix retool.

• Like 2

I guess, like everyone else who has posted their "wish list," I have some thoughts on which Airfix kits I would like to see retooled. Some, I'm sure will never see the light of day; some have already been done by other kitmakers- for better or worse; and some would have limited appeal outside the UK and even the U.S. For what it's worth, here are my  choices- all in Gods Own Scale, sorry!

F-86A/E/F (with fuselage halves split at the breakpoint so standard and all-flying tails could be done, as well as positionable slats) Then it's just a matter of the right windscreens, drop tanks, stores pylons, and nosewheel types, as well as separate panels with the open and hinged gunport covers Don't think we will ever see an RF-86F, SJ- sorry!

Buccaneer- pretty much unanimous, methinks; S2B and S2A versions would make everybody happy

F-86D (with separate fuselage halves, F-86D and K versions could be done; if Airfix broke the front fuselage halves at the wing root and molded separate nose sections, then an F-86L could also be done, along with an F40 wing...lots of schemes and nations possible!)

A-26B/C (The italeri/Revell kits have their issues and with careful engineering, they could do the A-26A's and B-26K's...lots of schemes and nations possible!)

Grumman Widgeon (very unlikely, but it's such a pretty little seaplane in TSS!)

Halifax (The B Mk's and the GR's, please!)

Javelin (I don't care which version!)

Hampden (TB's, too!)

TBF/TBM

Spitfire Mk Vc/Seafire II/III (Long overdue and they wouldn't be able to mold them fast enough to meet the demand!)

C-130 (Long overdue and nobody has done a really decent Herk!)

• Like 2