If Airfix were to re-tool more of their old kits, what should they be?

Scott_

An interesting one would be there 1/600 scale ships especially the Post War ones such as Victorious, Daring, Devonshire, Leander, Amazon and Fearless, probably best re-scaled to 1/700 although 1/350th would be interesting although somewhat more expensive.

• Like 2

Re-tooling their HO/00 vehicle sets especially the RAF ones into 1/72 would go down a treat, done to the same standard as their bomber support set, and possibly with different body options. That would open up a whole host of potential displays.

The rest of the range could be redone in the corrected scale with new technology track solutions for the tanks.

• Like 2

1/48 Buccaneer, although the one I'd really like to see them do, in the same scale, is the DH.88 Comet. That truly is a beautiful aircraft.

Oh, and Concorde, I think the world is crying out for a decent kit of this majestic feat of engineering. (1/72).

Edited by March

In 1:72 the Yak-9, Spitfire Vb, Yak-9, Spitfire Vc, Yak-9, P-39, Yak-9, P-40E, Yak-9, Pe-2, Yak-9, Il-2 and then we sorely miss the Yak-9, in case someone hasn´t noticed yet.

They have never done the Bristol Beaufort so I can´t wish that one as a re-tool :offtopic:

Re-tooling their HO/00 vehicle sets especially the RAF ones into 1/72 would go down a treat, done to the same standard as their bomber support set, and possibly with different body options. That would open up a whole host of potential displays.

The rest of the range could be redone in the corrected scale with new technology track solutions for the tanks.

If they did that, I'd love them to revisit the Bloodhound SAM kit and bring it up to 1/72.

Vulcan & Halifax B.III would be top of my retool list. To be followed by;

Lightning F1/F3

H P Hampden

Dornier DO-17 (still a pretty decent kit)

Vickers Wellington

Dornier DO-217

Junkers JU-52

FW-190D ( still have the 80s retool! Another nice, if basic model)

F-80C

F2H Banshee

F-86D

F4D-1 Skyray

F4-Phantom (Spey version only please!!)

C-130

B-29

B-24

B-26 Marauder (this 1974 veteran is still, in my view one of Airfix's finest)

Buccaneer (either scale)

Javelin T3/FAW9 (1/72)

JP-5

TSR-2 as the FTPTT version - (Fits Together Properly This Time).

Well, I think that is enough to be going on with. Oh, hang on, I nearly forgot the F-84G Thunderstreak!

Allan

ps - how about the Fairy Rotodyne & 1/72 Concorde?

pps - just remembered the Super Mystere B2 !!

ppps AND the Mirage IIIC

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

Albatross DV, RE8 and Sopwith Camel from WW1, The Hawker Hart, dh88 and HP42 from interwar. Boston and Mitchell (note I'm not calling them A-7 or B-25 because I want RAF versions) from WW2 along with a Wellington, Hampden and Battle. However what I want the most just now is the BN Islander with a choice of piston or turbine engines, and in 1:48 as well as 1:72.

I suppose a Buccaneer in either 1:72 or 1:48 is a good candidate. But what I would love even more and which is something nobody has done for ages is a new tool, accurate (including accurate surface detail - LIDAR I scream) 1:144 SPACE SHUTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes - with Boosters and External Tank.

And for 1:72 scale a new tool Concorde without flimpsy gimmicks that do not work anyway.

For me:

Westland Whirlwind fighter in 72nd and 48th. Take Trumpeter head on and really make a statement about being a serious contender to the world. Another piece of the BoB collection.

The 76th airfield vehicle sets in 72 and 48th scales. Huge conversion potential and a lot of casual interest from Rail road modellers and transport fans

DH.88 Comet racer in 48th. A beautiful aircraft that wouldn't be to hard to build as an impulse purchase. Possibly in 72nd as well but 48th would sell better I think and make more profit per kit sold.

Much as I'd love a Rotodyne, Saunders Roe sr.53 and so on I really think there are other companies better set-up for lower volume sales.

• Like 1

Well, since you asked,

Buccaneer 1/72& 1/48

Firefly

Boston

SR53

Lysander

Anson

Hurricane (metal wing)

Hawker Demon

Hawker Fury

Whirlwind (proper & egg-beater)

Battle

Hampden

DH 88 Comet

Kingfisher

Walrus

Dominie

Chipmunk

Bulldog, (both types)

Probably more, but brain fried at the mo' and in both proper scales please, (1/48 & 1/72).

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4

Harvard II (not a T-6G, please!), Walrus, Boston. Wellington, Hudson, Battle, Anson, Buccaneer, Canberra B.2, Jetstream. With the exception of the Buccaneer and maybe the Canberra, the kits of all of these are real old fossils, some quite cringeworthy, from the 1950s/60s. Some of you have been asking for retools of kits that, while maybe 30 years old now, actually still shape up (pun intended) quite nicely - if you can find them.

And, as an act of penitence, they could replace the ghastly recent Sea Harriers, Hurricane IIc and MiG-15 with models bearing a less vague likeness to the real things.

My list:

Avro 504K, Avro Anson, Westland Lysander SOE transport, T-6 / Harvard, Westland Lynx family from prototype to Wildcat, Il-2 Shturmovik & DH 88 Comet

MVH

Knut Erik

Edited by LN-KEH

Those kits have been around since time began. I would like to know whether Airfix intend to carry on with a range of tanks and vehicles, in my opinion if they do then they need to replace all those old kits very soon.

• Like 1

Only one mention of a Stirling.

Go on guys you know you really want one :chair:

john

I think most of us are being realistic :banghead: and realise that as far as the Stirling (and Sunderland) goes Italieri have shot Airfix's fox.