P-51 Mustang, Tamiya 1:48

Hello Boys,

Trying to put into practice my new year best resolutions, I'm completing the long-time ago began kits, the frist of the row being the good ol' Tamiya 1:48 Mustang .... The Mirage IIIC will be next.

On to the pics and as usual, comments and critics most welcome.

Best,

Stef (#6)

Edit: an additional album with pics of the corrected prop blades sit : https://goo.gl/photos/3xKbSbvswFVna1Pt5

And a complete gallery here: >>>click
IMGP1457.jpg
IMGP1461.jpg
IMGP1463.jpg
IMGP1465.jpg
IMGP1466.jpg
IMGP1469.jpg
IMGP1471.jpg
IMGP1473.jpg
Edited by Stéphane
  • Like 30

Hello,Stephane - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Mustang'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the subtle weathering.She is a resplendent tribute to the type. All The best,Paul.

• Like 1

That's a very good looking Mustang! Nice finish and convincing weathering. Skilled work!

However, the propeller looks a bit strange to my eyes. First, the base of the blade cuffs should be very close to the spinner, hardly showing any blade root at all. Second, the blades seem to be attached so that the tips have negative incidence relative to the actual rotation direction of a Merlin (clockwise as viewed from the cockpit). I guess the blades didn't locate quite poperly in the spinner receptacles…

There are heaps of pics showing the correct configuration on the 'net, just Google photos! For example:

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/images/p51-4474506-main.jpg

Don't worry – we've all made little mistakes like that. A third party replacement would fix it easily, such as www.ultracast.ca/products/48/136/default.htm.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Hello Joachim,

I've indeed been warned elsewhere about the prop blade, so I've been moving my lazy back and did go to my library and check for references :o).

Here is my last attempt at correcting it : https://goo.gl/photos/3xKbSbvswFVna1Pt5

This is a Google album, I hope everybody can reach it. Amending the initial post with this link.

• Like 1

That's a very nice Mustang you've got there, Stephane. I've just started the Tamiya 1/32 Mustang ( Xmas present ) and if it turns out as good as yours I'll be very happy ! :goodjob:

• Like 1

Excellent piece of work! I like this color sceme very much indeed. It is not so offen to see! Thanks for sharing these nice pic's with us!

All the best

Andy

Keep on rocking in a free world!

• Like 1