Black and White Trio - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Damned f**k. Happend to me once with a rattle can primer, but not that massive. I think this can be repaired, but is more than annoying. Yes, the primer has to be disposed into the bin. Good luck. Otherwise it looks cool in black & white undersides. Cheers

• Like 1

That's a bummer Ced, but also an opportunity. Being in sunny NM, I have no choice but to see the bright side - all the time. It's very bright here. It's just my lot I suppose.

1. It's rare to get to make one build, but paint two schemes.

2. You've discovered a pretty sweet chipping technique, especially the bottom side. Hmm, I bet AK primer sticks to metalizer about as well as it does to plastic.

3. You've saved untold Britmodellers from the degradation of AK primer peal.

4. The Blenheim still looks pretty dang awesome.

• Like 2

Gosh, thanks everyone, you ARE a supportive lot... :D

I've been brush painting and Micromeshing the Blenheim on and off and decided I would brush paint the Hurri (and the Spit later) with H30 to avoid any de-masking problems later. Thinned with W&N flow improver she looks fine, just a 'different' green. I don't want to start the old VMA discussion again but look:

24786916546_c4e18ccfe4_z.jpg

What's green? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Tomato, tomato (oh, that doesn't really work written down does it?)

Then I decided I could treat myself and start trying the two-tone metal finish:

24790364546_58b4167276_z.jpg

That's as far as I got before shaky hands made me stop for a bit.

Thanks to Cookie for the inspiration on his great P-47 build. :)

• Like 9

See...sorted...didn't I tell you.

As for the greens, think yourself lucky you don't live in Ireland,

we've got 40 shades of it.

Sean

• Like 1

Just been looking at your link to Cookie's excellent NMF P-47 above - given the tenacity of the (AK ;)) metal paste in the face of the blue Scotch tape (my favourite), perhaps it's an alternative primer...

But probably not, since acrylic top coats mightn't stick to it under the pressure of masking, and it would be too laborious and expensive. If the top coats *did* lift, however, you would have ready-made "metal" to explain the damage away as weathering.

A somewhat Byzantine approach - I'll get back in my box now.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Not much time lately to follow threads but I see you made a good recovery from your troubles. The models are looking really good and I like the black-metal-white underside of the Hurri. Time allowing, I should be entering with that same model in the Hurri GB.

You could try Alclad primers in a future build. They are really good and resistant.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, Ian and Debs :)

Thanks Sean - shouldn't that be 50 shades of... oh, green, right. :)

Thanks Alex and Jaime - I'm sticking to the Stynylrez in the future, lesson learned! I do think the idea of AK True Metal under acrylics might be good for chipping, although its waxy carrier might be too 'slippery'? Might give it a go sometime...

So, I think the Blenheim needs one more pass and then some heavy(ish) weathering:

24828485555_88e80705ac_z.jpg

The two-tone AK on the Hurri is progressing. A slow job but quite relaxing and satisfying. This stuff covers really well but you have to make sure that there are no blobs so best to start in the middle of a panel. I've also dry-brushed one of the gun panels as an experiment and dobbed some on the walkway:

24460835359_d53831e4ce_n.jpg 24828652855_4aa81de3c6_n.jpg

Two tone by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

One needs to be a bit careful as trying to rub the stuff off actually just buffs it up. Hopefully the matt coat will cover all sins...

• Like 6

Thanks Cookie :)

I completed the 'metalling' today and also brushed some aluminium into the Blenheim (after checking the net that the wings were metal!). Here's the Hurri's bottom which I'm pleased to post:

24540025980_38f86684bf.jpg 24835556615_f3a222ff98.jpg

Done by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll Klear coat tonight and let it dry overnight then it's transfers on and time to get dirty!!

• Like 8

Thanks Simon, bbudde and Alex :)

Klear coated and waiting for transfers:

24733372982_e7c07945a9_z.jpg

Ready for transfers by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The Spit (obviously my favourite) has had the first coat of thinned DG applied:

24757779101_91268327d2_z.jpg

First coat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'm tempted to rip off carefully remove the masking and do the bottom this afternoon as it's just a second coat and touching up now and I DO enjoy using the AK True Metal... perhaps it's the smell but it's also the coverage.

• Like 7

Great progress and good recovery of the Blenheim, Ced! The Hurri looks really nice in Black-Silver-White underside.

Looking forward to seeing the decals transfers on :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime, not long to wait now, just waiting for some transfer mojo :)

Thanks Simon :) Yep, it's the Evolution Silverline 2in1 recommended by Paul at modellingtools. Paul's great IMO... always happy to help you into a suitable purchase and, unusually, talk you out of an unsuitable one! The airbrush has certainly been good for me...

Not that I've used it today. I think I cracked the seam on the Spit by clumsy drilling when I opened up the hole for the new stand support. It hasnt been solved by painting and can't be ignored any longer so I dabbed on some liquid green stuff and then brushed the AK on the bottom:

24226553784_4a8dd7b71b.jpg 24487456499_38045dc484.jpg

Seam by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've found that the AK thins nicely with white spirit (as suggested by AK), just dipping the brush in occasionally when it gets a bit thick / waxy. Nice stuff.

• Like 4

... and breathe. I have to hold my breath doing these, especially the tiny little stencils. And the ones on the black are WHITE! How the heck are you supposed to see those?:

24488768789_d54a7da8f2_n.jpg 24560857300_f22e706b48_n.jpg

Done by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've also realised that the lower nose windows on this one are painted. Did I mask them? Who can remember... too late now, the 'L' transfer is on.

That's probably me done for tonight. I might sand and re-paint the Spit nose and Klear coat that but I won't bother with any pictures (unless there's something interesting to report).

• Like 6

I've also realised that the lower nose windows on this one are painted. Did I mask them? Who can remember... too late now, the 'L' transfer is on.

If you haven't painted the windows, let me know as I have some spare decals that you can have.

• Like 1